Bethlehem, Botswana, Zambia and back

Get the information about routes, trips or just get plain inspiration
stobi_de
Full Name: Frank Stober
Nickname: stobi_de
Home Town: 51647 Gummersbach - Germany
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GR2 /Y61 (TBE45) from 1999, short Nissan Patrol GR1 (2.8 TD) from 1992, Volvo XC60 AWD
Home Language: German

Re: Bethlehem, Botswana, Zambia and back

Post by stobi_de »

Somebody knows these?

NXAI-Pan ( behind Nata)
Khutse Game Reserve

found them only in google, but no campsites...
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
stobi_de
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol GR2 /Y61 (TBE45) from 1999, short Nissan Patrol GR1 (2.8 TD) from 1992, Volvo XC60 AWD

Post by stobi_de »

After a lot of years, after many car problems and now a new car (hi Tinus, hi Antony) we want to continue this time the tour.
The last tour with the red Patrol... lets forget it (the rests of the car are somewhere in Windhoek on a scrapyard :thumbdown: )
Tinus organised a new car, 2 years ago we made a small trip, we were locked down and sent back to Germany.

So again, next try.
Kubu island dry at the moment?

Frank
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

as far as I know its a bit wet but you can get there
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

stobi_de wrote: 09 Jan 2017 09:35 Somebody knows these?

NXAI-Pan ( behind Nata)
Khutse Game Reserve

found them only in google, but no campsites...
I can help you with both of those. I have extensive experience of most of Botswana.

NXAI-Pan is not exactly behind Nata, it is about 160km west and then another 30 km north
Makgadigadi Pans are basically "behind" Nata

Last edited by mvcoller on 19 Feb 2022 09:17, edited 3 times in total.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

NXAI PAN - ALL PRIVATELY RUN CAMPSITES.(up to 5 times more expensive than DNWP run Campsites for identical facilities)

Baines Baobabs - 3 campsites with no facilities. Each campsite max 12 pax/3 three vehicles (provide your own water).

South Camp - 10 campsites with 2 standard ablution blocks, Hot (solar) showers, and flush toilets. Ablutions are spotlessly clean, hot water, soap dispensers and toilet rolls provided. (Assessment as at Nov 2021)
Campsite No 1 (NPSOC01) - Large enough for 3 maybe 4 vehicles. Very secluded but not much shade. Far (40 meters along a footpath) from ablutions, difficult to find at night time.
Campsite No 2 (NPSOC02) - Campsite a bit exposed to the road. Large enough for 3 vehicles. Afternoon shade
Campsite No 3 (NPSOC03) - Probably the best location of all. Close to ablutions. Lots of shade and parking for 4 vehicles.
Campsite No 4 (NPSOC04) - Big enough for 4 or 5 vehicles, lots of shade. Right on the road to other campsites. A bit far away from ablutions.
Campsites No 5 & 6 (NPSOC05 & 6) 2 very similar Large Campsites next to each other. Place for more than 4 vehicles each. Within a few meters of the new ablutions. Lots of shade but exposed to the road.
Campsite No 7 (NPSOC07) - Nice and private, possibly 2 or 3 vehicles, very little shade. A bit further away from the ablutions.
Campsite No 8 (NPSOC08) - Secluded but very exposed to the sun, a bit further away from ablutions. Space for 4 vehicles.
Campsite No 9 (NPSOC09) - Very exposed and against the road . Close to ablutions, right on the road.
Campsite No 10 (NPSOC10) - Perfect for a large group 8 vehicles. No Large trees, very little shade, nice and secluded 40 meters away from ablutions.

I would suggest 1 night at Baines (there is not much more to do than taking 20 or 30 pictures there) and two nights in South Camp.
Last edited by mvcoller on 19 Feb 2022 13:17, edited 7 times in total.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

Regarding Khutse, how are you planning to get there? Are you travelling via CKGR or are you travelling up from the south?

I have some advice for you regarding the better option.

KHUTSE - ALL PRIVATE
Khutse Campground - 10 sites, each with pit latrine, shower shelter. Very little shade. Situated between Khutse I & II Pans.
Khankhwe Pans - 4 campsites on the dune overlooking the Khankhwe pan. No facilities (provide your own water).
Mahurusele Pan - 2 campsites near the edge of the Mahurusele pan. No facilities (provide your own water).
Molose Waterhole - 4 campsites 4 campsites around the Molose Waterhole with no facilities (provide your own water).
Moreshwe Pan is located near Moreshwe Pan in CKGR, but administered by Khutse - 4 campsites with pit latrines (provide your own water)
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

stobi_de wrote: 18 Feb 2022 18:53 Kubu island dry at the moment?

Frank
Not Likely.

We have had a lot of rain this year, normally Kubu dries out towards mid June, but this year I will no try it before beginning to mid July. DON'T EVEN TRY BEFORE THEN!!

I have been through there at the end of March one year, in a fairly dry year, and we travelled for 25km through 400 to 500mm deep water. I have fair experience with Kubu and we were 3 vehicles and at one stage we had two stuck at the same time. That was scary. The 3rd vehicle had highway tyres on, and the only one not stuck, I had no option to risk that one getting stuck, but I used it and managed to snatch the other two out. Phew, it was close.....but not really worth the risk.
stobi_de

Post by stobi_de »

Hi Melcom,
seems to be, that you are a tourguide or do you own a safari company?
Thanks a lot for the tips.

Khutse is a tip from a friend here in Germany.
He said: not from north, only deep sand and nothing to see. Consumption of his car was 30 Liters (and he has a diesel)

So we intend to go there from South, Molopolole and then we have to search....so our usual "perfect" plan :lol:
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL

Post by mvcoller »

Hi Frank,

Yes, I am a registered and qualified 4x4 Overland Tourist Guide and I qualified as such in 2005. I am also a qualified Eswatini (Swaziland) Guide.

I operate under the name SIMBA 4X4 TOURS AND SAFARIS. I have undertaken more that 100 safaris since I started touring in 1996. I actually stated offering my professional services since 2014, when I launched SIMBA 4X4 TOURS AND SAFARIS. Before that I offered my services exclusively to family, friends and fellow 4x4 Adventure Club members.

www.simba4x4tours.co.za

I have done and still do, when Covid permits, safaris in South Africa, Southern Africa and South-east Africa and have undertaken safaris to countries as far afield as Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Angola.

By the way, all the smaller border posts are still closed, so you will not be able to travel directly into the Tuli Block at this point in time.

Regards and enjoy your visit,

Malcolm

Return to “25. Trip/Route Queries”