IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Winter Family trip - Lesotho

Post by IR_Eddie »

Planning a 10-12 day trip to Lesotho for the June / July holidays with the family. We are two families, one traveling from CPT (me) and the other traveling from PTA. The idea is to meet up and then travel through Lesotho together. Ill be in my 4.8GRX and the other vehicle is Range Rover. Its a family trip and both families have small children (between 3 - 6).

I would really appreciate some advice on routes / travel time / attractions and accommodation keeping the following in mind:
  • First of all - kids and traveling :pray:. We want to see as much as possible without rushing anything and not stretching the kids to far with long drives everyday and would rather stay at a central location(s) for longer periods which allows for day trips if we wish. That way we are not forced to reach end destinations with tight schedules and can change the day's itinerary as we wish - i guess less is more in this case but still enough for a memorable trip for both kids and adults
  • We want to obviously see and spend some time in the snow, but don't want to book at any of the famous ski resorts. I also believe the kids will love to see some Dinosaur prints, Animals and Waterfalls
  • That brings me to the next point - accommodation. We want Self catering and private type of accommodation like chalets / cabins / cottages / etc.. where every family will have their own unit or at least some form of privacy. (Other peoples children are always naughtier than your own :rolling:)
  • I was thinking of meeting up and entering through Sani pass and then visit the northern highlands and travel down to the southern lowlands where we will exit again after which each family can go into their own direction?
  • Although im taking the Patrol we want to stick to normal gravel and tar roads. No hectic 4x4 trails (Range Rover's request - not mine :biggrin: )
  • 4.8 = petrol galore. Is there sufficient petrol stations in Lesotho or do i need to take some Jerry's?
Any advice and tips will be highly appreciated. Thanks
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Winter Family trip - Lesotho

Post by ricster »

Have a read through these posts. These were EPIC trips, but you need to be prepared!!!!!!!!!.... even on a road trip like these were
Some people may have thought we were mad and going over board at times, but our one trip in 2012 was a trip that could have had some disastrous outcomes due to sudden weather changes.

Having said that..... these were some of the BEST trips I've ever had..... ( please excuse the Jagermeister photos at the end of the days driving.....hahaha )

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... sotho+trip

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.ph ... sotho+trip
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
IR_Eddie
Full Name: Eduard groenewald
Nickname: IR_Eddie
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX ('07)

Post by IR_Eddie »

thanks Ricster. very informative and helpful. certainly helped to build the excitement.

I note fuel might be a problem and will have to take some jerries. (mmm.. that means i will also need to get a roof-rack :blonde: - was looking for an excuse to get one).

12 days might be a better option that 10 so that i can spend at least 8 days in Lesotho - 3 or 4 days northern highlands and another 4 or 5 days for the mid / lower southern areas.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

We never had any problem getting fuel, but again, you may not need to use the extra fuel..... but what if you do get stuck in a snow storm? Better to be over prepared than under. Had we gotten stuck, we would have lived comfortably for a good few days.

There are a few threads on the 4x4 community forum about guys getting snowed in, of sliding on the black ice and sliding off the road. I don't want to scare you off, but its worth the read so as to be prepared for the tar road conditions in the winter time.

When you get back though, you will have extra wrinkles on your faces from smiling so much. I can recommend doing the Katse Dam tour. Walking inside the dam wall is quite something!!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »