Crash-Boom-Tingeling

Please share information about trips you have done
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Crash-Boom-Tingeling

Post by Alex Roux »

We went away this wekend to a place called Al Thandiwe.
I can highly recommend it.
Close to where we stayed there is a 30 deg incline on a dirt road. Nothing too serious, but worthwhile driving up and down to test one's ability not to slip.

Anyhow, on our way back, we had a bit of a ding.
The N1 South from Limpopo toward Gauteng has a way of slowing down at places.
The Hyundai behind us did not allow much of a following distance.
Next thing we felt a bit of a thump from the back. Nothing remotely enough for whiplash, but enough to know something happened that was not intended.

The car behind us hit the tow bar, as well as my left recovery point at about the same time. The left recovery point is exactly in line with the left side of the chassis frame.
Had the insurance quotes done this morning.
The damage as can be seen from the picture is minimal, although as many can attest, panel beaters do tend to make a meal of these things.
The central aluminium rear step cannot be bent back and costs a fortune to replace (you would not expect anything different from Nissan).
Be that as it may, my car is still in near perfect condition. No chassis or axle bent. Rock solid.
Besides the aluminium step, there is also the right rear dow slight damage, and the electricity points that got damaged.

The Hyunday however is written off. The radiator is completely meshed into the engine.
I feel sorry for the guy. He is not insured. But there is little I can do about that.

So to make a long story short.
I feel very safe in my truck.
I also had to stop quickly. With the 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 33" tyres, lots of steel all round the car, including on top and fully loaded, I was able to stop quick enough without swerving to either side (I did have the duck walking sorted out last week).
The weight of the car and the strength of the chassis proved itself, given the damage to the platkar.
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG (582.42 KiB) Viewed 3891 times
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Crash-Boom-Tingeling

Post by ricster »

Phew Alex... It is unbelievable on how strong these Patrols actually are. Pleased nobody was hurt!!....

I am still waiting for this type of thing to happen to my Patrol.... then I can get a real nice bumper !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
bogeyman
Full Name: Christo Boegman
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX
'95 patrol 4.2 (now 4.5) sgx plus four 4.2 diesel p/u plus 3 safari workhorses.

Post by bogeyman »

Alex,
Not nice to hear of such things.

Do you have the working inserts in the upper back lights or only the bumper ones?

I have heard that the extra brake lights "wake up " the tail huggers better and can help avoid accidents.
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe
Home Language: English

Post by IanT »

Glad to hear you are all alright, they don't build cars like they used too, I had a taxi (venture) go into the back of my defender a few years ago, little dent in the chassis on the defender and his motor was sitting where his gearbox should have been, asked if he had insurance (of cause not!!!) so I just smiled and walked away!!!
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Hopelik gaan jy nou 'n baie mooier agter bumper kan kry!
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Bly julle is ok
andredurand
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: andre durand
Nickname: leeuloop
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: PATHFINDER
Home Language: afr

Post by andredurand »

Alex ek is bly julle is ok. En moet nie vergeet hoe hard is n Hardbody se towbaar nie moes nou die dag ook verdydelik hoe kom my towball so biekie skuins is
Andre Durand
Nissan Hardbody 3.3 sold
Nissan patrol 4.5 sold
Nissan parthfinder 2,5 sold
Nissan navara 4l v6 4x4
marakasmalan
Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL

Post by marakasmalan »

Bly jy is oraait!
Alex Roux wrote:I feel very safe in my truck.
Big mistake! The guy in the Huyundai can say so even more. He crashed into, for all practical purposes, a truck. The engine meshed up nicely, bodywork crumpled extensively and all the energy from the impact got nicely dissapated reducing the decceleration he was exposed to.

To design a car that does not deform in an accident is easy, exhibit A = Nissan Patrol. At low speeds you are OK, as you will be in almost any car - other cars will have significantly more damage.

But crash into anything like: Another Patrol; A real truck, A concrete barrier; A tree et al, and you will mostl ikely not be able to retell the story. Even the GU's with the airbags, after a frontal impact at merely 60km/h, your unlikely to walk again.

Overall Score 22.17 out of 37
Offset crash test 6.17 out of 16
Side impact crash test 16 out of 16
Pole test (Optional) 0 out of 2
Bonus points 0 out of 3

It is also a good thing to point out these tests are for a bog standard Patrol. A steel bullbar will reduce the safety, helping to directly transfer as much as possible of the impact shock to the occupant. The standard weight is ±2.4 tons. Accesories and lugage etc. increases the GVM easily by 20% -30%, which will have a significant influence on these safety results.

The Australian NCAP ratings for the Patrol GQ is one and for the airbag GU is two stars, the latest GU's (2004 onwards) with the multitude of side airbags etc. 3 stars. 3= 2 = Marginal and 1 = Poor. Also bear in mind these results are skewed by the exellent side impact ratings, where the Patrol scores full marks. For the frontal offset impact, tested at only 60km/h, the GU with airbags scores a miserable 38.5% (consiting of 0% for leg protection!)

The best safety feature of a Patrol is fitted to other cars, you have to rely on the impact absorption and crumple zone technology of the other vehicle to reduce the impact energy on the occupants. That it withstand accidents with minimal damages sounds great, but the ladderframe-chassis's ability to transfer impact shock to the occupants can produce medical bills that quickly eclipse the value of a replacable Patrol. That, whilst occupants can't be replicated.

Driving a truck requires a different and much more proactive and defensive paradigm than when driving a platkar - this requirment increases logarithmically with speed.

To feel safe in a Patrol would be unwise. To drive with this in mind will be advisable.
marakasmalan
Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL

Post by marakasmalan »

Bly jy is oraait!
Alex Roux wrote:I feel very safe in my truck.
Big mistake! The guy in the Huyundai can say so even more. He crashed into, for all practical purposes, a truck. The engine meshed up nicely, bodywork crumpled extensively and all the energy from the impact got nicely dissapated reducing the decceleration he was exposed to.

To design a car that does not deform in an accident is easy, exhibit A = Nissan Patrol. At low speeds you are OK, as you will be in almost any car - other cars will have significantly more damage.

But crash into anything like: Another Patrol; A real truck, A concrete barrier; A tree et al, and you will mostl ikely not be able to retell the story. Even the GU's with the airbags, after a frontal impact at merely 60km/h, your unlikely to walk again.

Overall Score 22.17 out of 37
Offset crash test 6.17 out of 16
Side impact crash test 16 out of 16
Pole test (Optional) 0 out of 2
Bonus points 0 out of 3

It is also a good thing to point out these tests are for a bog standard Patrol. A steel bullbar will reduce the safety, helping to directly transfer as much as possible of the impact shock to the occupant. The standard weight is ±2.4 tons. Accesories and lugage etc. increases the GVM easily by 20% -30%, which will have a significant influence on these safety results.

The Australian NCAP ratings for the Patrol GQ is one and for the airbag GU is two stars, the latest GU's (2004 onwards) with the multitude of side airbags etc. 3 stars. 3= 2 = Marginal and 1 = Poor. Also bear in mind these results are skewed by the exellent side impact ratings, where the Patrol scores full marks. For the frontal offset impact, tested at only 60km/h, the GU with airbags scores a miserable 38.5% (consiting of 0% for leg protection!)

The best safety feature of a Patrol is fitted to other cars, you have to rely on the impact absorption and crumple zone technology of the other vehicle to reduce the impact energy on the occupants. That it withstand accidents with minimal damages sounds great, but the ladderframe-chassis's ability to transfer impact shock to the occupants can produce medical bills that quickly eclipse the value of a replacable Patrol. That, whilst occupants can't be replicated.

Driving a truck requires a different and much more proactive and defensive paradigm than when driving a platkar - this requirment increases logarithmically with speed.

To feel safe in a Patrol would be unwise. To drive with this in mind will be advisable.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

andredurand wrote:Alex ek is bly julle is ok. En moet nie vergeet hoe hard is n Hardbody se towbaar nie moes nou die dag ook verdydelik hoe kom my towball so biekie skuins is
:rolling:
Andre, eendag in ons oudag by die oue-tehuis, gaan jy nog kla dat my loopraam gaan bots met joune as ek agter jou aan loop.
Jy sal dit ook NOOOIT vergeet nie. :rolling:
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa

Return to “24. Trip Reports”