Part 1: Trip report: Karoo & Southern Cape Dec & Jan 2013

Please share information about trips you have done
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Part 1: Trip report: Karoo & Southern Cape Dec & Jan 2013

Post by Alex Roux »

Warning: This report will show strong similarities to the report with the same title for 2012 submitted in January 2012.
However, such was the trip a year ago, that there was much merit in repeating a few activities / drives, because it was such a treat the previous time.

I will focus on the highlights from a 4x4 perspective.
Where we go, I try and find out about 4x4 trails and the like, for future references.
The Karoo is a fantastic place to stick around in, but it help to get to know people. It is a shame most people race through it to get to the coast.
The Karoo has many Telkom and mobile phone towers on top of koppies. All of these have to be ascended one way of the other. If you look carefully when driving through the Karoo, you can sometimes spot the track going up. I have been told that some of these are very hard to drive. These are of course of not formal 4x4 tracks and may not be properly maintained. There is therefore lots of potential for 4x4 tracks to be driven if you know who to call!

The first 4x4 trail that I have identified is at the Transkaroo hiking trail farm between Hanover and Middelburg. The main attraction is the 3 day hiking trail (not asdvised to be hiked in summer, as tempratures can be 40deg+). It also has a 4x4 track. PM me if you need contact details of the hosts.

The second 4x4 trail that I have identified is the road that takes you to the foot off the Compass mountain (the highest non-mountain range peak in SA at 2500m- picture will follow) - just north of Nieu Bethesda. It is a private road, but I have met the owners of the farm. The rain in December (200 ml) has damaged this road to such an extent that it cannot even be driven by a tractor at the moment. So we did not give it a go either. One can also hike up to the top of Compass Mountain. From the foot of the mountain it is about 2 hours up and 2 hours down again. One can also stay in the farm hours on the same farm. Again PM me if anyone needs the contact details.

Once down in the Southern Cape, we first went to Stillbay. Had some sundowners along the coast (picture below), also stayed in a small stone house, no electricity or running water. Only sun power and rain water tanks! (picture below) . A house along the coast, as well as the stone house inland, can be rented. PM me for contact details.
1StilbaaiSundownersOnADune.JPG
1StilbaaiSundownersOnADune.JPG (615.67 KiB) Viewed 937 times
2CampingatLittle StonehouseNearStillbaai.JPG
2CampingatLittle StonehouseNearStillbaai.JPG (819.9 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Then on to Vleesbaai. Did the Vleesbaai Route again. At R350 for 3,5 hours, it is a bit minty. So I won't do it again. This time my dear ARB pressure gauge malfunctioned, and I tried to race up a dune with too much tire pressure (and too much oemf from the Lexus!). Got the guide (Gerhard Coetzee, very good guide) a little worried and provided some entertainment. Got out of this hole without assistance though and once the pressure was right, the trail became a piece of cake. I have also enquired from Gerhard about the Amarok that pulled the Patrol out on Youtube. He confirmed that it really did happen, but agreed that something had to be seriously wrong with the Patrol to have necessitated it. However he also said that he again had to pull out an Amarok from Vleesbaai a few days earlier (with his 80 Series Cruiser).
This goes to show that dune riding is not so much about the 4x4 as it is about the engine, the right tire size and pressure, and of course the driver.
3ViewsfromVleesbaaiDunes.JPG
3ViewsfromVleesbaaiDunes.JPG (456.18 KiB) Viewed 937 times
4GotGuideworried!Vlesbaai.JPG
4GotGuideworried!Vlesbaai.JPG (860.38 KiB) Viewed 937 times
5PatrolVleesbaai.JPG
5PatrolVleesbaai.JPG (451.1 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Then I took my dad for his first proper 4x4 experience to Moordkuyl near Mosselbay. This trail was NOT a piece of cake. So a bit of a baptism of fire for my 73 year old dad. Die dirt was dry and loose. "Horseshoe" had a decent of around 40deg with twisters. The Puma and a Hillux tried to go up after having gone down it. Both failed. So I did not bother! In my view front lockers would have beeb essential.

The next obstacle was "Winch hill", again down. Steeper but flat and slippery, due to dry dirt on the road. This was not a vehicle test but a nerve test as 1st gear low range has to be combined with break tapping, but stalling the engine could be disastrous. (Good thing my idle valve control is now sorted!)
The final obstacle was "Fat Lady" up. This again was slippery and steep, so it made the Lexus speak up a bit. Without front lockers it was tricky. Although I completed it, the next vehicle, a new Hillux with traction control on the front diff made it look easy. Then the Puma came with all diffs locked. Again it was made to look easy, except at the final hurdle, the sideshaft broke. The final vehicle was a single cab Triton. again with front traction control. So a front locker is definitely on my 2013 Christmas wish list.
6ViewfromMoordkuylKoppie.JPG
6ViewfromMoordkuylKoppie.JPG (1004.91 KiB) Viewed 937 times
7PumaTrollandYotasatMoordkuyl.JPG
7PumaTrollandYotasatMoordkuyl.JPG (222.22 KiB) Viewed 937 times
8MoorkuylFatLadyAbove.JPG
8MoorkuylFatLadyAbove.JPG (749.86 KiB) Viewed 937 times
The Journey back home is a staged event, first accross Prince Alfred's pass, then from Langekloof across te mountain to Baviaans Lodge.
9PrinceAlfred'sPass.JPG
9PrinceAlfred'sPass.JPG (893.77 KiB) Viewed 937 times
10KougaRiver.JPG
10KougaRiver.JPG (582.75 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Re: Part 1: Trip report: Karoo & Southern Cape Dec & Jan 201

Post by Jorrie »

Alex
Thanks for a interesting report. It looks like a good option sometime in the future. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)

Return to “24. Trip Reports”