Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

My Back Bumper Build

Post by iandvl »

I'll document my back bumper build here as it progresses.

I've had the bits and pieces to start building my bumper lying around in the garage for a month or two now. Simply not had time to get started yet.

On Saturday, I thought I'd remove the towbar so that I could start on Saturday afternoon / Sunday. What a mistake...

To put it this way, the towbar has been on the vehicle for about 15 years, I guess. Started by spraying all the bolts and nuts with Q20 and leaving it to absorb for a while. First and second bolts (left and right hand side right at the back of the vehicle) came off relatively easily.

The third bolt was a mission, and then the spanner broke whilst trying to get it loose.
bumper1.jpg
bumper1.jpg (113.17 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
Yes - I know this is a crappy "chinese"-type spanner, but my set of Gedores only go up to 17. I'll rectify that at some point. In any case, I called the wife to get me a new 19 spanner, and modified the ring side of the spanner so that I could continue working on the bolt whilst waiting for my wife to get back from town.
bumper2.jpg
bumper2.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
I eventually managed to get the third bolt (right hand side in the middle) out.

The fourth bolt (right hand side at the front end of the towbar) was stuck fast and, since there was enough room as well as enough room to extract the cut end of the bolt through the chassis at the top, I took to it with the angle-grinder. Success. Used a bottle jack to prop up the towbar on the right hand side so that I could finish the left hand side.

The fifth bolt (left hand side, closest to the front) ended up stripping the 19 socket... So I cut about 5mm off the socket to get a clearer "nut-shape" in the socket again, and continued to remove it with the power bar. Eventually it came out.

At this point, the towbar was supported with a bottle jack on the right hand side, and a single remaining bolt on the left hand side. I used another bottle jack to support the left hand side (I really don't want that bit of steel falling onto me - it's bloody heavy) and started with the final bolt. This resulted in another broken spanner, and the newly cut socket stripped again. At this point, there was no other option but to fetch the grinder and grind off the bolt.

Eventually have the cursed thing off, which means I should be able to start tacking the stuff together at some point soonish.
bumper3.jpg
bumper3.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 7575 times
Oh - on a side note, highlift jack points on the bumper have been tacked into place, as well as the two corner pieces on the bumper (these can be fitted without the bumper in place). I'll probably take them to be properly welded (I don't trust myself that much with my welding) tomorrow. Forgot to take photographs, but will do so and post shortishly.

Next step is to remove my existing bumper, attach the recovery points / bumper mounts and cut the mounting slots onto the main bumper component. I'd also like to cut the various holes (trailer plug mount, holes for attaching the recovery hook to the factory mount and back lights) before starting on the corner pieces.

The toll in materials so far is rather high. Probably about two cans of Q20. Two 19 spanners (chinese crap). One 19 socket and a ratchet. My first attempt was not well planned and I busted my ratchet trying to get the bolt loose. Later bolts, I used a power bar.

PS: The towbar has been on since I got the Patrol. It's the first time I've seen the departure angle without the towbar sticking out the back... What a difference...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Re: My Back Bumper Build

Post by offroadbiker »

Tinus, Josh, Michael, Ian - you guys really knows how to get under one's skin..... QQQ

Ok so that is just jealousy speaking :redface: best of luck with the rest and keep us up to date :thumbup:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

Sorry Dirk :lol:

Ian keep us updated. And good luck!!! :thumbup:
My new towbar is 110mm higher then the old one. It does make a huge difference. Finished my bumper yesterday. But will post a thread when the swing arm is done.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL

Post by SJC »

Wat is julle almal so besig met replacement bumpers... ek stem saam met Dirk. :redface: :lol:

P.S. is daar niemand op die forum wat belangstel om so paar rand te maak en ekstra bumpers te bou nie? :mytwocents: :eureka:
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

SJC wrote:Wat is julle almal so besig met replacement bumpers... ek stem saam met Dirk. :redface: :lol:

P.S. is daar niemand op die forum wat belangstel om so paar rand te maak en ekstra bumpers te bou nie? :mytwocents: :eureka:
Alex (Botha) se agter bumper was ge-"clone" en paar stelle gesnyde staal het beskikbaar geraak. Van wat ek versaan, het Michael een stel gehad (syne is al klaar geou).

Ek het 'n stel wat lank in die garage le (dis hoekom ek nou regmaak om te begin bou).

Weet nie of Josh s'n dieselfde is nie...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

JoshJ wrote:Sorry Dirk :lol:

Ian keep us updated. And good luck!!! :thumbup:
My new towbar is 110mm higher then the old one. It does make a huge difference. Finished my bumper yesterday. But will post a thread when the swing arm is done.
Josh - if I may ask - how is your towbar mounted ? Looking forward to seeing the thread.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST

Post by offroadbiker »

Alex's will be GU - I need GQ :redface:
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

Mine is a Tinus clone. For 2005 facelift on.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

SJC wrote:P.S. is daar niemand op die forum wat belangstel om so paar rand te maak en ekstra bumpers te bou nie? :mytwocents: :eureka:
Fanus as jy eers een gemaak het sal jy verstaan dit is n onc time only proses daai...... dis dik werk en ek sal dit nie weer doen nie
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Michael wrote:
SJC wrote:P.S. is daar niemand op die forum wat belangstel om so paar rand te maak en ekstra bumpers te bou nie? :mytwocents: :eureka:
Fanus as jy eers een gemaak het sal jy verstaan dit is n onc time only proses daai...... dis dik werk en ek sal dit nie weer doen nie
Stem saam... Ek het nog nie eers regtig met my build uitgekom nie. En ek haat myself alreeds... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Return to “21. DIY Projects”