Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: My Back Bumper Build

Post by iandvl »

Sorry folks. I've been very quiet forum-wise (on several forums) the last while. But I've been working myself to death, and on the occasions when I don't have work to do, I've been trying to avoid my laptop like the plague...

I got a chance to continue with my bumper this weekend. I could perhaps have completed the assembly, but I ran out of welding rods and grinding disks on Saturday afternoon. I could not continue on Sunday, because I picked up a very bad case of arc eye and flash burn. First time I've had serious arc-eye. It is not pleasant... I assume the arc eye is from my welding mask. It's one of those cheap ones, and I think it is sub-standard, as I even have flash burn on my forehead - which is supposed to be protected by the mask... The other flash burn was as a result of me being an idiot and welding in shorts and t-shirt. Stupid, but I guess it is a mistake one makes once... All my unprotected bits (legs and arms) look like boiled shellfish... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Still quite a bit to do - a bit more cutting (I want a little more space between the body work / lights and the back corner pieces) and a few bits to finish welding / patch up / neaten up. But overall, I'm happy.

In any case, a few photographs, or it didn't happen... :rolling: :rolling:
01.jpg
01.jpg (143.28 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (193.08 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (254.87 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
04.jpg
04.jpg (327.72 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (267.76 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (247.31 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
07.jpg
07.jpg (247.15 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :salute:
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

Ian that is looking good. As you say the gap between the light and bumper needs to be widened. If I look at the damage I did to my light I would say at least 15 mm.

While you are busy see if you can't incorporate a swingarm and take that wheel off the door.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

David M wrote:Ian that is looking good. As you say the gap between the light and bumper needs to be widened. If I look at the damage I did to my light I would say at least 15 mm.

While you are busy see if you can't incorporate a swingarm and take that wheel off the door.
David,

Thanks. I am chuffed with the outcome so far. I'm thinking of about 10mm - 15mm off the top of the corner pieces. If I may ask - how much clearance does your back BZT bumper have between the body work / lights and the bumper ?

I considered the swing arm, but I think I am going to pass on this. I have read of some of the issues with the barn door cracking, but I'm also not a huge fan of the weight hanging on the back of the chassis. I'll still decide. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

iandvl wrote:
David M wrote:Ian that is looking good. As you say the gap between the light and bumper needs to be widened. If I look at the damage I did to my light I would say at least 15 mm.

David,

Thanks. I am chuffed with the outcome so far. I'm thinking of about 10mm - 15mm off the top of the corner pieces. If I may ask - how much clearance does your back BZT bumper have between the body work / lights and the bumper ?

I considered the swing arm, but I think I am going to pass on this. I have read of some of the issues with the barn door cracking, but I'm also not a huge fan of the weight hanging on the back of the chassis. I'll still decide. :)
BZT has about 10 mm - Note enough as I cracked my light.

As long as your mounting points are good that weight is no problem - My 16" steelie with 33" Cooper STT Pro weighs about 50 kg and no problem. I do have the OME 400 kg coils though.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Well done!!

:thumbup:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Looks sommer bakgat... :thumbup: :thumbup:
lot of hard work ..!!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

If you think about it carefully, you will realize that the spare wheel hangs off the rear of the chassis anyway, whether that load is fed through the bumper or through the body mounts...
If you keep the wheel as close to the rear door as possible, then there's not much difference on the suspension.

I would srongly recommend one of the setups that allows the spare to swing away when you open the rear door, instead of as a seperate step...

Oh, and about the flash burn, some people (like me) are not so clever. I do that to myself on a regular basis.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Peter Connan wrote:If you think about it carefully, you will realize that the spare wheel hangs off the rear of the chassis anyway, whether that load is fed through the bumper or through the body mounts...
If you keep the wheel as close to the rear door as possible, then there's not much difference on the suspension.
I hear you Peter. The thing being being the weight being carried further back means an increase in the leverage. I'll do the math at some point. Not today - my head hurts. :rolling: :rolling:

Guess it will be fine if it is as close to the door as possible, as mentioned. However, I', not going to have a chance to do further building for a bit so there is still time to modify my idea if I think it is feasible. :)
Peter Connan wrote:Oh, and about the flash burn, some people (like me) are not so clever. I do that to myself on a regular basis.
After this experience, never ever again on my side. I've been very uncomfortable over the last couple of days... Will invest in a decent welding mask, and some cotton overalls... :rolling: :rolling:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Get one of these self-darkening helmets. You won't believe how much easier it makes welding.

Also, a pair of long-sleeved welding gloves is a great idea.

The spare wheel is roughly a meter behind the rear axle line. I can't see that an extra 50mm or so can make much difference.

However, while we are on the subject, an extra spare wheel or a holder for two jerry cans will make a big difference, and I have always been hesitant to go that far. But a lot of guys have, and few have had any real issues...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.

Return to “21. DIY Projects”