Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Dash gauge console

Post by ricster »

Its been so crazy at work, so I haven't done anything more since, but I will be working on it this weekend for sure..... possibly with a bit of a babalas, cause its 3 good friends combined birthdays on Saturday..... QQQ QQQ :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

What I can conclude so far is that the gel coat and fibreglass resin and body filler have had no adverse reaction to the foam that I have am using !! So, much happiness in the console camp... :rolling: :rolling: There is even a little flexibility with the bodyfiller on the foam, which I think will make removing the plug a little easier that a ridged plaster plug.

I'll do am update as progress is made
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(

Post by Dustin »

Good to hear the foam is working out :thumbup:
I'll keep my eyes on the thread for the big reveal.

Looks like I'll be taking up a bit of a molding project myself.
Wanted to get my hands on the LC 79 V8 bonnet scoop kit to suite the GU (looks seriously wicked !) but the guy I was going to organize it from fell through, and there's no way I'll import from Oz.
So it looks like I'm going to mold my own, along with the internal cowling for the top mount intercooler.
Who knows, if it comes out looking like the business, I might start selling to Patrollers that want.
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Well, well, well..... I believe after many many months.... ok ok, yes years .... I have completed my project !!! :blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :blonde:

I have built up a 3 part mold to make a dash console that can take either 5 round gauges, or EGT and 4 round gauges, or for that matter any configuration you wish to have. One can even fix your GPS up against it to keep it out of the direct sun, which will definitively help preserve the battery lifespan of the unit.

I am really chuffed at the way it came out. I have had it upholstered with thin sponge in between, but in a light grey to match the door and centre console grey. This was due to me telling the upholsterer that even though I have taken 2 years to do this, he only has one day.....haha ( I'm a kind sole )..... I will hopefully get a colour as near as dammit is to swearing to the colour of the dash.

I fitted up the gauges I had laying around and then fitted and connected my EGT gauge and Boost Gauge, re-routing the wires and pipes, as I was leaving that night for Cape Town.

Now yeah I know I have blonde hair, and sometimes I use it to my advantage..... well I'm going to use it now again..... cause I stuffed up my planning a bit whilst rushing to get it finished. I cut the holes for my EGT and Boost gauge on the left side and not on the right hand side like I wanted. So when I got back from Cape Town, I set out to make a cover plate, from some really nice brushed aluminium that is sandwiched between some plastic. I did my measurements and placing of the gauges ( the correct way around) and started cutting it out with the hole saw. This went well until the plastic got hot and expanded and messed up the finish on the very last hole that I cut ... well I was just a slight bit irritated by this slight predicament I had placed before me, and decided well stuff it. I will remake another one when I have calmed down to a mild panic.

You will probably see it on the photos that I will post only tomorrow, as i left my phone cable at home..... and I want to keep you guys in suspenders.... I mean suspence for a little while longer. I mean what will one extra day make .... :rolling: :rolling:

I am going to take mine to the dude that did the upholstery, to sort out a few little issues I have, but due to me rushing him to get it completed, he did say to me that I must bring it back so he can make it a lot neater to get a better fit onto the top of the dash.

I have stuck mine down with double sided tape, and also not even a lot of it as I knew I was going to pull it of on my return to Jhb. We also traveled from CT, to Sutherland and then on some dusty corrugated sand roads from there to Loxton, and many other tiny towns, until getting back onto some tar road. The Dash pod didn't move a millimeter. It worked like a dream. The gauges are perfectly in line of sight, the height of the dash pod doesn't restrict either driver or passenger view. It also doesn't interfere with the defrost function vents for the windscreen.

I am going to make up a few of these consoles, with the upholstery but without the brushed aluminium cover plate, to allow whom ever to set up whatever gauges, switches, USB's etyx that they want to connect up. You could even set up a 2 way radio in there if you wanted.

As said I'll post the pics tomorrow !!
Regards
Cedric
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Book one for me please Mr Rickster :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Will do .... I just need to work out the costings 100%.

I can now understand why there aren't many people making something like this. The costs for the fiberglass and then the upholstering is crazy, and one can only make one per day, unless I sit and make up extra 3 part molds that will just shoot up the costs again. I'll work it out tonight.
Regards
Cedric
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Did you use the instuments I donated???

Are we in business??
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

I just may have some inside info...

My personal verdict -

FREAKING AWESOME!!!

:thumbup:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Ok.... so here is a little background on how this project evolved...

Now the plug I finally landed up with. I used body filler and loads of sand paper and loads of elbow grease to get the contours of this piece to where I was happy. there is not one single flat surface on the GU dash so I wanted to keep with the theme and flow of the GU dash with this pod. The Aussies have a dash pod for $ 330.00 ( R3200.00 ), that is very square looking and just doesn't do it for me.....
http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_PatrolGU_pods.htm
aussie dash pod.jpg
aussie dash pod.jpg (15.1 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
Here is a few pics of the plug ( this was taken after I had already made the 3 part mold, so it was looking a little rough where I had to tug it out of the fibreglass parts. ( its not an easy job by any means )
DSC_1488.JPG
DSC_1487.JPG
DSC_1486.JPG
DSC_1485.JPG
From this plug I had a good few attempts at making a proper mold to make the final product.... this process took many many swear words, and a few Klippies Premiums to calm down again before I landed up with this .... The 3 part mold. Bear in mind you have to, in ones brain work inside out, because one must ensure that one can get inside the 3 part mold to lay the fibreglass properly without any bubbles and blemishes, and I don't exactly have small hands, and anyone who has ever worked with resin before will know.... Its a sticky goooooooey PITA medium to work with. But anyway there are the pics. ( the pink stuff you can see is the PVA release agent still to be cleaned off )
DSC_1489.JPG
DSC_1490.JPG
DSC_1491.JPG
Regards
Cedric
IanT
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian Temperley
Nickname: IanT (aka) "The Joker"
Current 4x4: 1995 GQ 4.2 Petrol (Turbo Charged) (Hell Boy)
2008 4.8 GRX Umkombe

Post by IanT »

Cedric I am in my suspenders!!! :rolling: Where is the photo of the finished pods on your dash????

Return to “21. DIY Projects”