Patrol Pics



Drawer System. Ideas.

Please tell us about your DIY projects, tips and tricks

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby Peter Connan » 05 Mar 2017 16:25

Good job!

Next time, try 4x4 direct for the big sliders.

I bought a set of 800mm heavy duty's there for R370 two weeks ago.

For the lighter-duty stuff there is a furniture wholesaler here in Kempton who is even cheaper (R170 for a set of 25kg 600mm sliders)
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
User avatar
Peter Connan
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: 10 Sep 2010 07:21
Location: Kempton Park
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 200 times
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.2SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby biggles » 05 Mar 2017 16:51

Peter Connan wrote:Good job!

Next time, try 4x4 direct for the big sliders.

I bought a set of 800mm heavy duty's there for R370 two weeks ago.

For the lighter-duty stuff there is a furniture wholesaler here in Kempton who is even cheaper (R170 for a set of 25kg 600mm sliders)


Doh :redface:
411.09 for a pair... I was looking the price of two pairs.
430.00 at 4x4 direct.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby Peter Connan » 05 Mar 2017 18:07

Ah, ok. Much more reasonable.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
User avatar
Peter Connan
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: 10 Sep 2010 07:21
Location: Kempton Park
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 200 times
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.2SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby biggles » 06 Mar 2017 18:01

This is a close up showing the bent sides for the drawers and how the drawer slides fit in the recess.
20170305_172613.jpg
20170305_172613.jpg (92.46 KiB) Viewed 346 times

I was fretting about how I was going to bend the aluminium sheet until I mentioned my problem to the guy that cut the sheets for me. He pointed me to a small engineering firm and an hour later they were done:)
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby graham1 » 07 Jun 2017 07:27

Hi Biggles,

I see you asked much further up about where to get the carpet, but I couldnt see a reply here - where did you eventually get the carpet from? Im busy knocking a very simple packing system together and need to cover the ugly handy work with carpet.

Thanks!
graham1
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 151
Joined: 15 Jun 2015 17:46
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Joburg
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby biggles » 07 Jun 2017 08:59

I got it at KELHs Upholstery Suppliers. They had a large selection and the stuff I got as a rubber base so is quite pliable and stretchy. In the photo above you can see what it looks like. It stuck down and went around corner very well.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby biggles » 07 Jun 2017 09:19

biggles wrote:I got it at KELHs Upholstery Suppliers. They had a large selection and the stuff I got as a rubber base so is quite pliable and stretchy. In the photo above you can see what it looks like. It stuck down and went around corner very well.

I sent Kehls a picture to give me a product code or name and I will let you know. They have online ordering and delivery.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby Chris Skinner » 07 Jun 2017 09:23

Hi Steve - I like your set up a lot - I just did a trip to Nam and Bots without drawer system and have avoided buying a pre-made one due to high weight and $$, and not efficient fit. I used ammo boxes and tie downs and although it was effective, it was always a hassle to get the bottom box out when that was the one the wife needed.
Was wondering if you would be so kind to share the drawings and dimensions etc - I'm retiring end this month and will have all the time in the world soon to potter in the garage.
How did you make the frame? is it welded or some kind of quick joint?
My fridge slightly different size so will have to adjust the plan slightly. Also, during my trip I noticed the most activity in the back is related to the fridge access (for whatever reason :-), so my fridge is on left side.
User avatar
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 913
Joined: 26 Nov 2009 12:58
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby biggles » 07 Jun 2017 11:15

Chris Skinner wrote:Hi Steve - I like your set up a lot - I just did a trip to Nam and Bots without drawer system and have avoided buying a pre-made one due to high weight and $$, and not efficient fit. I used ammo boxes and tie downs and although it was effective, it was always a hassle to get the bottom box out when that was the one the wife needed.
Was wondering if you would be so kind to share the drawings and dimensions etc - I'm retiring end this month and will have all the time in the world soon to potter in the garage.
How did you make the frame? is it welded or some kind of quick joint?
My fridge slightly different size so will have to adjust the plan slightly. Also, during my trip I noticed the most activity in the back is related to the fridge access (for whatever reason :-), so my fridge is on left side.

Can you fit the fridge through the left door? If not you have to open the right door anyway to get the fridge out? Unless you use it without sliding it out?
I used connect-its. Plastic jion that fits into 25mm aluminium square tube. http://www.maizey.co.za/product/connect-it/#4245209062-f0be0983-a94f
If you are putting it on the right side I would modify it to have 2 equal sized drawers below and a big one on top. I removed it a week ago because I needed the load space. I am able to remove it single handed!! in about 5 minutes. Try that with any of the bought ones!!

PM your mail address and i will send you that "Sketch up" files. In sketch up you can easily adjust the dimensions to suit your arrangement. My final dimensions differed slightly to the design anyway.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 331
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Drawer System. Ideas.

Postby Chris Skinner » 07 Jun 2017 11:26

I will have to check dimensions re back door, probably wont slide out. On my trip had it fixed but facing backwards. was only room for ammo-pan's width to the right. Might have to reconsider sliders for fridge then.
Agree the suggestion on same size drawers though.
My address is 'jouster98 at gmail dot com'
Thanks Steve
User avatar
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 913
Joined: 26 Nov 2009 12:58
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

PreviousNext

Return to 21. DIY Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest