Garmin in Lesotho

Communication & Navigation Equipment: VHF, UHF, GPS, Satellite phones ETC.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Re: Garmin in Lesotho

Post by Jules »

Hi Tinus

Het so ruk terug vir hom n epos gestuur oor Nuvi 500 v Montana 600 of die prys verskil van R3.5K die moeiete werd is hier is sy terugvoer, SY TERUGVOER IS HOOFLETTERS

Morning Kevin

This December I want to buy a GPS, I read your articles in SA 4X4 monthly. I am in two minds whether to get the new Montana 600 NEW or the Nuvi 500 GETTING OLD.

What I have picked up from your articles is that the Nuvi have a breadcrumb function which the Montana do not have? NOT TRUE THE MONTANA HAS A BREADCRUMB AND BACK TRACK

I believe the Montana is more off road orientated ? but is also very useful in town. YES HAS A NUVI MODE

The Nuvi also seems to be very useful off and on road ( towns ). Would both be suitable for running T4A on? YES

It seems the Montana do not come with suction cup and it only has voice prompt with suction cup ( R600 extra ) CORRECT + MAPS AS WELL

My requirements current is a unit useable in our cities and travelling best possible routes. Off road going into Lesotho this December and also looking to travel more north into Mozambique in future as well as Namibia.

Is it worth it to spend R2500 more for the Montana, does it really have so much more to offer? IT HAS ALL THE OUTDOOR FEATURES IS A HANDHELD A NUVI AND A MARINE DEVCIE I know a very nice feature of the Montana is that you can run it on AA batteries, it seems both units one would need to buy a charger for your vehicle.THE NUVI 500 IS INCLUDED THE MONTANA IS THE SUCTION AND VOICE BOX I have read on the LC Forum some guys have had problems that their Montana units sometimes just go off, IN THE FIRST 2WEEKS NO MORE but it does not seem that you have had a similar problem AGREED I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH EITHER OF MY DEVCIES

NUVI 500 R2900 maps and suction

MONTANA R6500 maps, suction speaker no stock for 3 weeks be careful of some peoples pricing, too much and to little! Check the price carefully

BUT YOU ARE PAYING FOR THE TOP OF THE RANGE AND LATEST TECHNOLOGY
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi Jules

Ons beplan om al die 14 Desember Lesotho in te gaan van Ficksburg se kan af. Ook by St James oor te slaap en dan Sani pas aan te durf. Ons gaan dan Matatiele omry en by Qasa’s nek weer in Lesotho in gaan. Ons gaan dan Sehlabathebe toe en daar vir so 3 aande slaap en fly fish. Ons wou van Sehlabathebe Katse toe gaan, maar is aangeraai om nie die afgeleë paadjies alleen aan te durf nie. Gaan maar Katse skip hierdie keer. Dit is ’n langnaweek se toer vir ons van Bloem af.

Pieter C dankie vir die foto’s. Almal sê vir ons Lesotho is so mooi land. Ek en my vroutjie kon darem vir ons ’n Trol aanskaf die jaar na ’n bietjie beplanning en genade van bo. Dink ons gaan Lesotho nou gereeld besoek. Ons wil een of ander tyd die pad van Katse verby Kao myn na Tlaeng Pas ry. ’n Kollega sê dit is ’n ongelooflike mooi pad, maar moet verseker in ’n toergroep aangedurf word.

Ek sal maar in elk geval die T4A ding doen. Dit is darem nie ’n arm en ’n been nie.

Groete

:salute: :salute:
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
GQ Patrol

Post by Jules »

Hi Marinus

So ons gaan mekaar mis, no problem dalk n volgende keer, sien jy is van Bfn, my ou hunting gronde as geboorte, student, weermag en werk. Was daar vanaf 1981 - Des 1993.

Ek het Bfn baie geniet, sal enige dag terug trek.

Cheetah Forever

Shalom
Jules
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Jules

The most important advantages of the Nuvi 500 over most of the other Nuvis is that it is water and shockproof, and that it has breadcrumb facilities. Other important features are that it has a memory card slot, and that you can load info to it from your laptop.

As far as I am concerned, of the above the memory card slot is probably the most important, but it is now fairly common. However you need this in order to have two different maps loaded (T4A and Garmin). Second is the connectivity to the laptop, as particularly when using T4A, route planning should be done on the laptop, for at least four reasons: 1) The screen is bigger, so you see more info. 2) The laptop's search functions work better. 3) Specifically on T4A, the routing times are calculated incorrectly on the GPS. 4) You can link the laptop to Google Earth, and get a better idea of what the route really looks like. This is also as far as I know common within garmin devices.

The water-and shock resistance gives some sense of security that the device is likely to be more reliable on long trips, and the breadcrumb facility is a very-nice-to-have, but these features are probably not necessary for a trip through Lesotho, and probably only come into their own on extended safaris through rougher areas.

The fact that Bolton says the Nuvi is now getting old is a concern to me, as that probably means it is close to being replaced. I started with a Quest 2, but it packed up (my fault) and then could not be repaired as it was discontinued and spares were not available anymore.

Unfortunately it seems to me that despite the rather steep prices, a GPS is probably something that needs to be considered a consumable with a 2-4year lifespan...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
GQ Patrol

Post by Jules »

So Peter C maybe I must buy a Nuvi2300 now and then a Montana 600 in a year and a half

Shalom
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate

Return to “20. Comms”