What LED Torch/Flashlight is best

Q&A: Stuff to make your trips and camping more comfortable.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005
Home Language: English

What LED Torch/Flashlight is best

Post by Chris Skinner »

Hi Guys
Was recently looking for a new and powerful flashlight and realized its a mine field out there with all sorts of ways that the performance is specified.
Ive also seen some examples that friends have shown to me that cost a great deal but seem to be a dismal failure in my view.
I would hate to spend a lot of money and then end up disappointed with the outcome.

So, I thought I would put the question out there to see what others on the Forum may advise on their experiences and maybe make some recommendations - it should be an interesting discussion.
georgeb
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: George Brittnell
Nickname: georgeb
Home Town: Hartbeespoort
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: What LED Torch/Flashlight is best

Post by georgeb »

Afternoon Chris

What do you want to do with it or what are your requirements - a long distance beam or a wide angle beam?

If wide angle - look at "LED Flashlight - 8500 Lumen, 7x CREE XM-L T6 LEDs, Aluminum Alloy Body, 5 Light Modes" - I have bought from Chinavasion and this is a serious wide beam light and not too expensive to bring in - you will just have to buy batteries locally.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Groete/Regards,

George Brittnell
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero

Post by Rhett »

Hi Chris

What I have learnt over the years is "DON'T GO CHEAP!".

I have a drawer full of old flashlights and headlamps, all bust or useless.

The two that I use now:

Headlamp from Extreme Lighting, (older rechargeable model which isn't on there anymore)
https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/headlamps
It is waterproof (IP68 rating) and the battery lasts forever. Metal housing is durable. 3 brightness settings, good for anything from braai's to cave exploring. Outperformed an equivalently priced Petzl by miles when I got it. A little heavy but I got used to it quickly, new gen models should be lighter and more efficient.

Hand-help torch:
LEDlenser P7.2
https://www.ledlenserusa.com/t7-2-349.html#start=17
Well built and good guarantee. My first one had a battery leak and they replaced the whole torch with a new one as the batteries were spec'd. It has a good beam adjustment and comes with lanyard and a well made belt case.

Both of these have lasted me years now, they get wet, dirty, knocked around and they are still 100%.
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
graham1
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: graham robertson
Nickname: graham1
Home Town: Harties
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4.8; 1999 Patrol 4.2D

Post by graham1 »

I still use the ‘old school’ maglite with the LED bulb. I love the thing.
Sure there’s many many torches out there that are way brighter than it these days, but I still prefer it, nice and heavy and rugged, it’s just never going to break.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Thanks for the inputs and advice guys.
George, the one you propose looks like a good candidate too.
Graham, I also have the Maglite conversion - its really a go-to flashlight. Was looking something a bit stronger but the advertising and price ranges just don't make sense to me, unless theres something I just don't understand here - eg some 9000 lumen torches from around R50 right up to R5000...very confusing.
Does anyone know how to compare apples with apples with this stuff?
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Hi guys .. Afri farm supplies is closing down end of this month and are selling flash lites at really low prices and not to mention shoes and clothing...... :clap: :clap:
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Have a look at the Nitecore torches as well. I have a small one (MT21A) that has lasted more than 5 years (and still going strong).

As far as comparing apples with grapefruit... :pray: :doh:
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

Wilkie wrote: 17 Apr 2018 07:21 Hi guys .. Afri farm supplies is closing down end of this month and are selling flash lites at really low prices and not to mention shoes and clothing...... :clap: :clap:
All of them??
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8

Post by biggles »

Recently did a review of flashlights that I have bought for work (Open pit gold mine). They are used by shift workers samplers and truck spotters. So in the thick of things and get heavy use. We have bought many makes and models through the years. I want to buy another set due to being forced by a bean counter to buy cheap Zarteks (goedkoop is duurkoop).

In 2015 when I bought the first lights I got LEDLensers H7s. They fill the requirements as: Rechargeable but able to use standard batteries in an emergency. 200Lumens and 12 hour life. The red light at the back is an added safety bonus. I did a survey and some of the ones I bought in 2015 are still operational. That is nothing short of amazing, I asked what had happened to the ones that were broken and was shown how the charging plug was the weak point. Bought a second lot of H7.2s now.

Petzel none left.
Zartek lasted a few months.
Duracell none left and below spec. They were not popular at all.
LEDlensers rule:)

I have my work issued headlamp has given many years of service on the mine. It is permanently on my hardhat so gets a fair amount of abuse.
I have one for camping and teh vehicle. One bitch here is that it turns on when in a bag. So teh switch is too sensitive. I have on numerous occassions found it on when opening a bag. I keep handful of AA batteries as back up.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

biggles wrote: 17 Apr 2018 14:29 Recently did a review of flashlights that I have bought for work (Open pit gold mine). They are used by shift workers samplers and truck spotters. So in the thick of things and get heavy use. We have bought many makes and models through the years. I want to buy another set due to being forced by a bean counter to buy cheap Zarteks (goedkoop is duurkoop).

In 2015 when I bought the first lights I got LEDLensers H7s. They fill the requirements as: Rechargeable but able to use standard batteries in an emergency. 200Lumens and 12 hour life. The red light at the back is an added safety bonus. I did a survey and some of the ones I bought in 2015 are still operational. That is nothing short of amazing, I asked what had happened to the ones that were broken and was shown how the charging plug was the weak point. Bought a second lot of H7.2s now.

Petzel none left.
Zartek lasted a few months.
Duracell none left and below spec. They were not popular at all.
LEDlensers rule:)

I have my work issued headlamp has given many years of service on the mine. It is permanently on my hardhat so gets a fair amount of abuse.
I have one for camping and teh vehicle. One bitch here is that it turns on when in a bag. So teh switch is too sensitive. I have on numerous occassions found it on when opening a bag. I keep handful of AA batteries as back up.
Thanks for this hands-on review and feedback Steve!!!! :cheers: LEDlenser it would be for me then :thumbup: ! (Need to replace a stolen MAGlight :thumbdown: :minigun: )
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN

Return to “19. Overlanding/Camping Equipment”