Botswana Des 2012

Q&A: Stuff to make your trips and camping more comfortable.
Izak
Full Name: Izak
Nickname: Sakkie
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: 2003 Patrol 3.0 D SRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Botswana Des 2012

Post by Izak »

Gents

We are planning to visit Botswana this Desember. Pardon the British as I translated it quickly from Afrikaans.

This is the suggested route to be taken. I will be in my Patrol with a normal trailer bouncing behind and my brother will be in a Landi with off-road trailer.

Day 1: Gauteng on N1 north to Lepalale and then onto Martins Drift into Botswana to the Khama Rhino sanctuary. About 640 km.

Day 2: Serowe north to Kubu Island. About 250 Km.

Day 3: Kubu to Baines Baobab and then onto Nata lodge. This might be long day depending on the terrain, mud ect.

Day 4: Nata via Pandemenga border post into Hangwe National park as day visitor north to Victoria falls and staying at Maramba river lodge in Zambia.

Day 5: Victoria Falls and surrounds, rest day.

Day 6: Victoria Falls to Kwando Camp in the Caprivi. Still deciding whether to go via Zambia to Kazungula border post to Kasane into Kwando Camp, or the Zimbabwe route.

Day 7: Kwando Camp to Ngapi kamp. 270 km. Visit the old Buffalo base and Salute those that stayed behind.

Day 8: Rest day at Ngapi Camp

Day 9: Ngapi Camp, to Tsolido hills (Van Der Post gallery) to Audi kamp outside Maun. 440 km

Day 10: Audi Camp, Ramakops, Central Kalahari Pational Park Deception Pan?? 400 km

Day 11: Deception Pan south to one of the camps more to the South. I do not see anybody writing on any forum entering the CKNP from the South. It is either Ramakops or the Xade area.

Day 12: Home to Gauteng.

Should not be more that about 4000 km and the route is planned to see the most of Botswana and its people without spending to much time in low range.

Inputs will be appreciated, especially the Kubu camp in summer after possible rains.

How bad is Malaria in Bostwana in December?

Regards
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: Botswana Des 2012

Post by Peter Connan »

Izak:

Day 1: Easy, no problems.
Day 2: Depending on the rain, this might not be possible. However, if it is a dryish year, it would be worth a try. We did it in March (at the end of the season) so it might well be possible. At S20 56 01.0 E25 40 01.4 there is a turnoff, if you carry on straight almost to the vet fence and then turn back toward Kubu, you will miss the worst of the mud.

Day 3: From Kubu, drive to the vet fence, then carry on straight north to the tar road, rather than following the vet fence. This road is on a slight rise and AFAIk is always passable. It is also faster and easier than the other road.

Day 10: Rakops often don't have fuel, so be prepared to carry on to Mopipi to get fuel (about 50km further). Deception Pan is very nice, and the trip is not too long as long as you start early.

Day 11: In July 2010 we went from Deception to Rakops. we got there at about 15h00. It is a long hard slog through very boring countryside, but Xade itself is not too bad. Personally I would rather stay the extra day at Deception and exit again through Matswere gate.

Day 12: Forget about doing Xade to Jhb in one day. The first 60km from Xade to New Xade is the worst sand in Botswana, and with your normal trailer you will struggle unless it is very lightly loaded. Expect an average of 20-25km/h for this section. You will not reach Ganzi before lunch either.

Geniet dit!
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tommie
Full Name: Tommie Watkins
Nickname: Tommie
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afr

Post by Tommie »

Izak.

Jy se julle wil dit in 12dae doen? En dit met landie saam jou? Nee ek dink sit ekstra 3dae by. Jy gaan moet sleep en ekstra parte en olie saam ry! :lol:

Op meer ernstige noot, klink vir my na baie interresante uitstappie. Geniet dit.

Groete.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

Die reen seisoen begin in November - dis wat met ons gebeur het toe ons Botswana toe was.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Izak, as jy kontakbesonderhede soek vir van die kampe, laat weet, ek het 'n paar.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Klink great !
Ek sou net minder ggejaag wou wees
Een dag vir vic falls is genoeg
Maak n plan om by kasane oor te slaap en gaan op n boot in Chobe in
Dit kan jy nie mis nie
Lees Piet se trip report en kyk die prentjies
Groete
Tinus :thumbup:
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

]my vingers sal dit nie maak om alles te skryf nie -- lig jou bummm en kom proe opreget egte oompie koffie - dan praat ons dag by dag deur ...
VERGEET om by Pandamatenga grenspos deur te gaan en op te gaan Vic's toe .. tensy jy ektra 4 spaarwiele per voertuig saamneem -- daai pad ia eFFFFed -AAP laaik yu kaant bilieff iet.. Hoor my maar.

-- Kom kuier maar, oompie is inni rondte [en daai CHOBE Sunset Cruise is 'n MOET MOET MOET
IMG_5725.jpg
IMG_5725.jpg (677.03 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
[attachment=0]IMG_5651.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_5651.jpg
IMG_5651.jpg (721.87 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “19. Overlanding/Camping Equipment”