Gear prices Oz vs SA

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
DH70
Full Name: Donald Hastie
Nickname: Donnie
Home Town: Melkbos
Current 4x4: NA
Home Language: Afr, Eng

Gear prices Oz vs SA

Post by DH70 »

Good day everyone

I'm in Oz and wondering how these awning prices compare with home. My first thought is that it must be very affordable as just about every SUV and 4x4 over here have full roof racks, awnings and heaps of gear fitted. If it's significantly cheaper than home, I don't mind the extra baggage as I'm allowed two big cases (40kg) plus sports gear due to working offshore. Awning could pass as ski gear:)

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/produc ... wning.html
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Re: Gear prices Oz vs SA

Post by Craig Lord »

Check the Front Runner and Big Country websites. At first glance it seems that the awnings are cheaper over there but it would depend on the duty you would probably have to pay at customs when you get back here.

The big ostridge wing awning from big country is R13 000 and the front runner straight 2.5m x 2.5m awning is about R3500. It would depend on customs here in SA I would imagine...
Screenshot_20180922-093207_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180922-093632_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20180922-093121_Chrome.jpg
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)
DH70
Full Name: Donald Hastie
Nickname: Donnie
Home Town: Melkbos
Current 4x4: NA
Home Language: Afr, Eng

Post by DH70 »

Thanks for the reply Craig. If R3500 is a fair price for a 2.5x2.5 awning at home, then in comparison it's definitely much cheaper here. I guess it's the old supply and demand scenario. As you mention, customs could be an issue, however I've been all over the world with up to 6 surfboards at a time and hardly ever been checked. I think if it looks like sporting gear they mostly let it go. Wouldn't mind a full roof rack either as they're also well priced here, but no way that'll pass as anything else besides a roofrack:)
Craig Lord
Full Name: Craig Lord
Nickname: Craig
Home Town: Tuli Block
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX Nissan Patrol (sold)
Home Language: English

Post by Craig Lord »

100% if you can wrap it and get through customs then that would represent a big savings (so long as you are paying to go to aus for business and not just for the kit :lol: ). I think you are right, the market for all the kit is much bigger there so it makes a bit of sense that it's cheaper. I wish that was the case here, I'm sure we all have lists longer than our arms of all the toys we want to bolt to our patrols Haha :rolling: but you have to give up 40% of your retirement annuity investment to afford them! And it's super addictive QQQ
I've decided to modify my roof rack myself instead of going for the modular branded ones which are nearly 12 before you even get to buy the tie down rings let alone any extras..... My rack is mild steel so cutting and welding my own mods onto it is relatively easy as long as I keep the weight in mind ! Its heavy as it is...

If you do decide to take a chance let us know how you went.

Good luck
When in doubt throttle out !

4.8 GRX Patrol (sold)

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”