Bicycle Rack

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Re: Bicycle Rack

Post by Rhett »

Hi Clem

Did you get your bike rack yet?
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Hi Rhett, no, not yet; ordered but not delivered. But I'll probably let it go again when I do get it. After speaking to one of my fellow directors who is a keen cyclist I realised that I should probably spring the cash for a platform type carrier. The top tube on my MTB is quite broad (oval) and I realised it probably won't fit comfortably in the Rackmaster rack I've ordered and that it'll probably damage the bicycle(s) over time. So I ordered a Thule platform type identical to Thule but supplied somewhat cheaper through a Volvo dealership. I regret the price but I suspect in the long run its the right decision. Good MTBs are not that cheap.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Clem,

I think it is a wise move, those platforms have lights and place for a number plate.

It is actually illegal to have the lights and and number plate obscured in any way. About 5 years ago, the Beaufort West traffic police had a field day stopping people and giving them fat fines, about R750 iirc, en route to the Argus in CT for that same reason. It is said that they wrote tickets for more than 1000 vehicles for that same transgression over that particular week/weekend!!

Very few people had the extra number plate and full complement of working lights on the bicycle racks. I know of many people that took long detours back to Johannesburg to miss Beaufort West on the way home....
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Carbon fibre frame?

Otherwise I was going to suggest custom-making your own frame and using parts from Holdfast. I did my own and increased the spacing between bikes too, as I hated that they always squish them so close. My whole rack cost around R1200 to make and slotted into a frame I bolt straight onto the tow bar.
Rhett

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

No, not carbon - yet. Long story. I used to cycle many years ago. Then quit for 30 odd years. Decided I need to do something again when I'm far from my paddle-ski. Went out there and discovered that bicycles are wildly different to when I last got off one (gearshifts were still cable wound levers on the lower frame tube which were tensioned by hand). After thinking about it for a while I opted for a reasonable soft tail MTB with a decent-ish frame and not too bad peripherals (I can't believe what a decent bicycle costs now) to start with: Trek Superfly Aluminium Elite with XT/SLX peripherals. But I think there's a gravel bike or maybe a proper road bike in my future too. Carbon comes later, depending upon how I get into it all again after all these years.

Post some pics. I'd be very keen to see what you've done.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Clem wrote: 05 Feb 2018 15:33 Post some pics. I'd be very keen to see what you've done.
Me too. I hate the Victorian Distraction, but my wife wants me to take them on holiday so she and the pinkfoot can peddle around the campsite.

Struggling with how to integrate that with the Trollie's rear doors and the trailer....
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Cool I will do, it's not on the car at the moment but I will send pics.

The reason i ask if it's carbon fibre is that they don't necessarily like being hung or suspended from the main crossbar. Heard a couple stories where the impact on dirt roads causes tiny fractures in the frame... and when you go for a nice ride one day the frame snaps. Carbon isn't too cheap to repair either. So preferably a carbon bike should rest on it's wheels.

With regard to the number plate issue, I had one made, R100 or so, and riveted two spring clamps on which popped onto the frame.

I never had an issue with lights as the 4.8 early models had the lights in the bumpers, and the bikes were just above.

But on a side note, awesome bike you have there!
Rhett

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Many thanks Rhett. I haven't even got to thinking about number plates and lights yet, now that you mention it. Hmm...

As for the bike, well I don't know a lot about them yet. I can though say that I found it surprisingly enjoyable to ride. Its the best bike I've ever owned. I was very surprised at how much the technology has come along.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Morning guys! Eish, we were in a farmers meeting until late last night, so I didn't manage to get any pics. Tonight I'll upload some :thumbup: .
Rhett

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

No worries Rhett – it's not urgent and it's more a question of curiosity and learning than anything else.

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”