Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Post by Peter Connan »

Jorrie, I have done some maths on Tinus's recovery points.

They are at least as strong as the bolts holding them.

While I would always recommend using a catch-rope on any snatch recovery, I do believe you can recover with confidence on that point.

Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Post by David M »

Peter Connan wrote:Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.
Point for discussion - When I recovered the 8 ton truck out of the dam in the Transkei I connected to a single front point on the Patrol and made sure that I was exactly in line so that there where no side forces. Shortly thereafter I fitted the BZT front bumper and all the holes lined up exactly. The logic was a bridle may have bent the chassis inwards but inline there was no risk.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

Peter Connan wrote:Jorrie, I have done some maths on Tinus's recovery points.

They are at least as strong as the bolts holding them.

While I would always recommend using a catch-rope on any snatch recovery, I do believe you can recover with confidence on that point.

Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.
Peter

Thanks for your input.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by biggles »

David M wrote:
Peter Connan wrote:Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.
Point for discussion - When I recovered the 8 ton truck out of the dam in the Transkei I connected to a single front point on the Patrol and made sure that I was exactly in line so that there where no side forces. Shortly thereafter I fitted the BZT front bumper and all the holes lined up exactly. The logic was a bridle may have bent the chassis inwards but inline there was no risk.
The BZT recovery points are directly on the chassis mounting points. That is of course offcentre but unless you are charging and doing run-ups with a ridgid strap the chances of bending a patrols chassis are very low. I would say that the rope will break long before the chassis.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Jorrie has informed me that on his bumper, the mounting plates to the chassis are much thinner than the recovery points, and thus the recovery points are not extensions of the mounting points.

Please look carefully, because if this is the case on all of them, then these points are not safe for snatch recoveries.

David, WRT bridles and so forth:
There are cross members both in front of and behind the front recovery points. In the case of bumper-mounted recovery points, the bumper itself should also serve as a cross-member, preventing bending the chassis inwards as a result of using a bridle. I believe the chances of seriously damaging a Patrol chassis by using or not using a bridle is pretty small. One would have to be pretty dof.

You may bend the recovery points themselves, but I doubt this is a reason for serious concern.

I have also not hadthe opportunity to measure the recovery points on these bumpers, but ging just on the photos posted, they do not look thick and wide enough to me to handle the load of a full-energy snatch on a single point, which is why I recommend a bridle.

To my mind, one wants at least 12mm thickness and 25mm web around the hole.

Of course, by putting such strong recovery points on our vehicles, we are almost guaranteeing that, when a recovery point does break, it will be coming through our own cars...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Jannie Vosser
Full Name: Johannes Jacobus Vosser
Nickname: Jannie
Home Town: STELLA ; North West Province
Current 4x4: 2009 4.2 DIESEL TDi PATROL PICK UP
2012 2.5 diesel 4x4 NP300 BAKKIE
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Jannie Vosser »

Dankie Tinus vir "organising" 'n BZT rear steel bumper vir my 4.8. :salute:

Ons het 2 swing arms aangesit, een vir spaarwiel en ander een vir 60 liter petrol in Jerry kanne.

Op die sinkplaat het arms effens agtertoe begin oop skuif.

Dankie aan Tinus en Bruce wat 'n oop oor en gewillige hande gehad het om 'n klein modifikasie aan te bring wat probleem opgelos het. :bravo:

Vir ons wat ver van Pretoria (beskawing?) af is, is Tinus regtig 'n yster!

Sonder sy hulp, sou ons nie naastenby aan ons rygoed kon doen, wat ons nou doen nie. Hy bring al die los punte bymekaar. Waardeer. :thumbup:

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”