Patrol Pics



Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Postby Peter Connan » 20 Dec 2016 05:51

Jorrie, I have done some maths on Tinus's recovery points.

They are at least as strong as the bolts holding them.

While I would always recommend using a catch-rope on any snatch recovery, I do believe you can recover with confidence on that point.

Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
User avatar
Peter Connan
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: 10 Sep 2010 07:21
Location: Kempton Park
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.2SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Postby David M » 20 Dec 2016 08:06

Peter Connan wrote:Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.


Point for discussion - When I recovered the 8 ton truck out of the dam in the Transkei I connected to a single front point on the Patrol and made sure that I was exactly in line so that there where no side forces. Shortly thereafter I fitted the BZT front bumper and all the holes lined up exactly. The logic was a bridle may have bent the chassis inwards but inline there was no risk.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
User avatar
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
 
Posts: 707
Joined: 12 Nov 2013 15:13
Location: Midrand
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"
Home Language: English

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Postby Jorrie » 20 Dec 2016 09:43

Peter Connan wrote:Jorrie, I have done some maths on Tinus's recovery points.

They are at least as strong as the bolts holding them.

While I would always recommend using a catch-rope on any snatch recovery, I do believe you can recover with confidence on that point.

Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.


Peter

Thanks for your input.
Jorrie
4500 GRX
Jimny
User avatar
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: 21 Jun 2011 18:55
Location: Pretoria
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 72 times
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX, 2011 Zook
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Postby biggles » 22 Dec 2016 15:23

David M wrote:
Peter Connan wrote:Having said that, if the points on the BZT bumper are part of the chassis mounting plates (which it looks like they may be), then they should be more than adequate too, although I would be inclined to use a bridle here.


Point for discussion - When I recovered the 8 ton truck out of the dam in the Transkei I connected to a single front point on the Patrol and made sure that I was exactly in line so that there where no side forces. Shortly thereafter I fitted the BZT front bumper and all the holes lined up exactly. The logic was a bridle may have bent the chassis inwards but inline there was no risk.


The BZT recovery points are directly on the chassis mounting points. That is of course offcentre but unless you are charging and doing run-ups with a ridgid strap the chances of bending a patrols chassis are very low. I would say that the rope will break long before the chassis.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
User avatar
biggles
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 333
Joined: 18 Nov 2013 05:17
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 37 times
Full Name: Steven Robinson
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Plattekloof
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Patrol Rear Steel Bumper

Postby Peter Connan » 22 Dec 2016 17:09

Jorrie has informed me that on his bumper, the mounting plates to the chassis are much thinner than the recovery points, and thus the recovery points are not extensions of the mounting points.

Please look carefully, because if this is the case on all of them, then these points are not safe for snatch recoveries.

David, WRT bridles and so forth:
There are cross members both in front of and behind the front recovery points. In the case of bumper-mounted recovery points, the bumper itself should also serve as a cross-member, preventing bending the chassis inwards as a result of using a bridle. I believe the chances of seriously damaging a Patrol chassis by using or not using a bridle is pretty small. One would have to be pretty dof.

You may bend the recovery points themselves, but I doubt this is a reason for serious concern.

I have also not hadthe opportunity to measure the recovery points on these bumpers, but ging just on the photos posted, they do not look thick and wide enough to me to handle the load of a full-energy snatch on a single point, which is why I recommend a bridle.

To my mind, one wants at least 12mm thickness and 25mm web around the hole.

Of course, by putting such strong recovery points on our vehicles, we are almost guaranteeing that, when a recovery point does break, it will be coming through our own cars...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
User avatar
Peter Connan
Moderator
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: 10 Sep 2010 07:21
Location: Kempton Park
Has thanked: 152 times
Been thanked: 220 times
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.2SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Previous

Return to 18. Vehicle Accessories

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest