GQ Rear Air Suspension Install

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Abri Hoffman
Nickname: Abri
Home Town: Monument Park
Current 4x4: 2013 FJ Cruiser
Home Language: Afrikaans

GQ Rear Air Suspension Install

Post by Abri Hoffman »

As a precurser to the installation of my front air suspension, herewith my rear installation as done on 14 March 2009.

We did 1036km through Kaokoland on very rough road and a 1000kg payload and what a pleasure.

I arrived at Gremeltech at about 10h00 to collect the bags, elbows and airlines. R4810.80 later I took of to Pierre for some advise and collecting the top mounting plates that he had made for me.

Thanks Pierre for interrupting your meeting to show me the ropes.

Off to my brother's house in Parow were we would do the installation

At 12h15 we started

Compressed and extended lenght of the air springs

Pre-installation hight of the Patrol with OME springs

A new hole had to be drilled for fastening the airspring inline with the top mounting

The patrol is surely not made of soft metal. First of a 6mm drillbit, then a 10mm and finally a 13mm with a lot of cutting fluid to get it through

Measuing the spring in the new hole.

Air inlet elbow on top of the spring as well as the top mounting plate for top location of the spring

Inflation valves on the rear bumper

Installing the spring. After careful consideration, measuring and thinking we went the easy route and only fixed the spring at the bottom. The top mounting would have resulted in too much cutting of fingers and swearing.

If it appears that this decision is not working as planned, we will do a bodylift and attach the springs at the top as well.

Since the top mounting plate is a perfect fit (thanks to Pierre) it can only move in one direction. This is prevented however by the top nut on the spring as it is located on the inside of the coil location cone on the chassis. As long as atriculation is limited to the lenght of the spring it cannot go anywerher.

16h00 and we are finishid with the installation.

The airsprings inflated to 3bar (it can take 6.5bar pressure) and full extention of the shocks. I am still running stock shocks. Need OME shocks at least 100mm longer than stock to make propper use of articulation.

Off to testdrive and disaster struck. I hit a speedhump at approximately 30km/h and the inner supports of the cone broke.

Luckily the structure of the cone was not damaged.

At 17h00 on a Friday afternoon trying to find something to support the bottom of the cone. I wanted to get back to Ceres as my wife is ill and did not want put the coils back since we were so far already.

Luckily we found a nice 400mm x 400mm x 4mm steel plate at my brother's neighbour. Now to make the bottom mounting plates to support the cone.

I had to cut 4 pieces of 200mm x 200mm with an angle grinder as round as possible while my brother cut it on the lathe to be nice round bottom mounting plates. Since the plate was only 4mm thick we were cuatious that it may bend and decided to make to plates for each side and weld it together.

Completed bottom mounting plates

Finally at 20h00 the springs are in again and woking like a charm.

I drove back to Ceres without a problem and wow, what a plush ride and nice roadholding through Nuwekloof pass and Michells pass. Corners nice and flat however there appears to be what feels like a little bit of lateral movement as you go into a corner.

Next steps would be to find the appropriate shocks.

Initially I though of only doing the rear since it would give me the required load carrying ability as well as additional breakover when required. I have decided however to install air springs in front as soon as finances allow.

Actual installation time for the rear airsprings if everything is prepared will not be more than an hour and a half.

Cost is about R5000-00 per axle. This exclude shocks.

I must agree with Pierre that this should be the first mod done if you can afford it. Nice low ride onroad that promote handling and fuel consumption while as much hight offroad as needed and abilty to change it to suite conditions.
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: GQ Rear Air Suspension Install

Post by Abri Hoffman »

Before and after pics
Image Image
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Abri,

Very very nice!!! :thumbup: And job well done!!! :thumbup:

One question - from an exposed point of view - especially whem pumped up - how is the bags doing?? What kind of material is it manufactured from?? I was a bit concerned when I read the inner support broke over a speedbump at 30 km/h and it got me :think: - can you elabirate a bit more why it happened please?? Should the airbags not be able to handle quite a bit of shock?? What happens if a bag does get damaged -will you be riding on shocks only then?? (Like witht he LR's that sag out to their bum stops)

Sorry for the 110 questions.
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Abri Hoffman »

Pieter, the piston that broke on the Goodyear is made of some sort of PVC. The Firestone have metal cones.
The reason it broke is because we underestimated the movement of the piston over the spring hanger. It had only about 20 mm to support the weight of the vehicle.
After we made the bottom supports it was much stronger and hasnt give me any problems after that. And it endured much bigger bumps.
It was really a mistake on my part not to make the bottom supports in the first place.

Here is a picture of the Firestone supports that come with the kit.

Rear

Front
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Abri Hoffman »

With regards to the construction of the actual airspring some more info:
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Thanks - nou begryp ek ook beter!!!

Bleddie nice system!!!
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Abri Hoffman
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Abri Hoffman »

Sover dit my aangaan is dit die ultimate system.

Op die pad ry ek hom lekker laag. Hoe swaarder ek laai hoe harder pomp ek. Die hardste wat ek nog gepomp het was 4.5bar, soos ek verstaan kan die sakke tot 8 bar gepomp word.
Off-road pomp jy hom net hoer soos benodig.

Ek moet egter krediet gee vir Pierre Becker op die Nissan4x4 club. Hy het dit reeds so 3 jaar gelede gedoen en sy huiswerk baie deeglik gedoen.
Ek het by hom gaan kers opsteek en is baie in my skik met die stelsel.
2013 FJ Cruiser
"Jack Russel"

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”