Accesorising a 4.8 GRX

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Mark Greenhill
Full Name: Mark Greenhill
Nickname: Mark
Home Town: Greenstone
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol GU Y61
Home Language: English

Re: Accesorising a 4.8 GRX

Post by Mark Greenhill »

Thank you for the pictures Peter, looks great!
Mark Greenhill

2001 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 2004 GL TD42
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Guys,

I am in process of installing a auxiliary battery. I see most of you recommend that it is installed inside the car at the back. I would like to know if someone or all of you whom have done it :salute: can tell me where to run the cables so that they don't shave anywhere. I am very scared of running battery cables into the cab. and I don't really want to drill holes through the body. I managed to install my national Luna system in the previous Prado myself. but it had a space for the battery in the engine bay. so no thick battery cables had to run in the car.

any help will be much appreciated. :clap:
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Hi Josh, I have placed my second battery in the rear, and run 50sqmm cables between main battery and the aux battery.
They run under the vehicle along the chassis longitudinal frame. The cables have very thick plastic wall and there is no where I can see that they could chafe through.
I drilled 2 holes in the floor behind the right middle passenger seat, under the carpet, and used gromets to seal up the holes - works very well.
I have a large BH connector close to the main battery so I can isolate the aux batt completely when I want to.
I use the 50mm cable so I can also run my winch and start my car from teh back battery if/when I have to. I have also placed a heavy duty fuse and a digital voltage display on the plastic National Luna battery box, along with a CTEK D250 DC-DC charger as well as a CTEK 25000 (25 amp) AC-DC charger - I am still in process of completing the build and will post some pics and more info later.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

You can bring the cables in behind the rear wheel panel. There are two rubber plugs in the panel and they end up behind the rear wheel arch inside the cabin. No need to drill holes.
Chris Skinner
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Chris Skinner
Nickname: Chris
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4,8 GRX 2005

Post by Chris Skinner »

Yip, if you have no intention of being able to start the vehicle or run the winch from teh back, then you can use thinner cables and route them in various ways to avoid drilling holes. If going for 25 or 50mm cable this is not a very practicle solution, in my view.
Bekker
Full Name: Bekker van Niekerk
Nickname: Bekker
Home Town: Wellington Westren Cape
Current 4x4: None

Post by Bekker »

[quote="Louis Hay"]Thanks, Pete, not sure this will work for me, need the rear seats for the kids...

Has anybody installed the battery in the engine bay on a Y61?[/quote

Late 2013 on this forum somebody with a new 4.8 GRX managed to install his 2nd battery in the engine bay. If remember correctly on the right hand side at the firewall but they did move something.
Bekker
Bekker van Niekerk
bekker@paarlrek.co.za
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 2004 GL TD42

Post by JoshJ »

Hi Guys,

Thanx for all the replies. :clap:

I have made a booking at 4x4 mega world on Monday. I thought I'd let them sort it out. Since the car is new and under warranty I thought it best this way. rather then me destroying it over a weekend trying to safe a few bucks. :rolling:

after reading all you alls comments, I opted for the Cteck system and decided to ditch the national Luna one. will re use the 105A deep cycle battery though. safes me over R2000.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
AndrewA
Full Name: Andrew Anderson
Nickname: AndrewA
Home Town: Kensington, Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol GRX 4.8, 2010

Post by AndrewA »

You going to enjoy it, all good advice. Look around and try attend the forum events to get ideas. Everybody has there own ideas and all are good. I still have a standard back bumper, a front runner tow bar (not sure if they still make them). A redback front bumper, la sport snorkel, tjm suspension lift, permanent compressor under the bonnet and have made my own drawer system (which is the best because I made it :biggrin: ). The second battery has to go in the back, the drawer system must accommodate it.

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”