Ironman, ARB or TJM Shocks

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Marinus Potgieter
Nickname: Marino4x4
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Ironman, ARB or TJM Shocks

Post by Marino4x4 »

The Bilstein B6 offroad shock are at a reasonable price. They are only for 1" lifts or less on a partol. You can get shocks for 6" lift, but they are competition shocks and carry a competition price. That is the shock the trophy truck have.
Bilstein B6.jpg
Bilstein B6.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
The B6 is also fully serviceable is South Africa at a descent price. The agent in Bloem said the serviced a set of shocks for a guy for about R500 per shock, courier included.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5
Home Language: English

Post by martyn »

Hi just spoken to Ted,(ted@imcomex.co.za 012 6610110), he is the guy in charge of the shock department. They do not import extended travel shocks at this time, but if there are enough guys with a 2" and more lift they will make a plan. The price of the std length Bilsten shock is R1544.04 VAT INCLUSIVE plus delivery anywhere in S.A.
As a matter of interest, how many of us have 2" or more lift on our baby's?
1. Martyn
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
martyn
Full Name: Charles Fry
Nickname: Charlie
Home Town: Robertson
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.5

Post by martyn »

Sorry, that was supposed to read including delivery anywhere in S.A.
Diem Dulcem Habes
Have a good day
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Pleased to see you added that this is your oppinion. assume this is what you ment by gimmick

1.A trick or device used to reach some end.

or was it this ?

2.A clever ploy or strategy.

Positive feedback on this forum is what drives it. Have you had OME. TJM, EFS and Iron man fitted to your troll. What millage did you do on each set ? How did they compare and what made you thinck they are all the same ?

I will be buying either of the following next time: (These are real-world shocks for people who use their trucks in tough conditions)

Billstein
King
Armada

I will never be buying the following again: (These are gimmicks and are all the same apart from Colour/Price/Return Policies)

XGS
IM
OME
EFS

The only ones between these two groups are:

Rancho
Tough Dog
Koni

(But you have to buy the best/biggest/most expensive model they sell if you go this route.

This is my opinion and others may not agree. Do your research and make an educated decision. Good ;luck.[/quote]
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

:biggrin:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Marino4x4 »

OK. After a lot of research and reading up on shocks here are my findings.

Shocks have basically two different designs, Monotube or Twin tube. Bilstein, KYB, … are monotube shocks. OME, Ironman, TJM, EFS, Monroe, Gabriel, … are twin tube shocks. Both of these designs have their advantages.

From the OME site:
“Essentially, there are two basic varieties of gas shock absorbers in common usage today: one is the low-pressure twin-tube shock absorber, while the other is the high-pressure "De Carbon Principle" mono-tube. High gas pressures are the norm in Europe, but the Australian on-road and off-road environments embody markedly different needs and, in the OME experience, there are two problems with high pressure shock absorbers.

Under low pressure, the broader range of bottom-end softness is able to be easily fine-tuned. Such is not the case with the high-pressure approach, as the system is inherently stiffer - regardless of the setting. The degree of bottom-end softness dictates the level of comfort experienced whilst driving at low speed. Consequently, the low-pressure system is more comfortable and more desirable.

The other problem is that the internal gas cylinder of the De Carbon principle mono-tube design has a shaft length shorter than the Old Man Emu twin-tube design. If an OME unit and a mono unit of the same compressed length are fully extended, the ONE unit will extend further. On 4x4 vehicles, therefore, the OME unit will allow the axle to drop down further and gain traction, dependent upon suspension design. The walking effect of your 4x4 may be limited by the shorter-travelling mono-tube, but not by the Old Man Emu Nitrocharger.”

From the Hilux Forum:
"Bilstein's monotube gas charged design features a single tube that houses a self-adjusting digressive working piston and a floating dividing piston that separates a nitrogen chamber from the hydraulic oil that fills much of the rest of the shock housing. Twin tube shocks on the other hand feature an outer tube that acts as the shock body and an inner tube that houses the working piston. Both designs work by restricting the flow of oil through the working piston, however, the twin tube design also utilizes oil control valves.

Monotube shocks, like Bilstein's, are considerably less likely to build up heat due to their single tube construction. In addition to dissipating heat quicker than a twin tube shock, Bilstein's monotube shocks and struts also maintain lower operating temperatures thanks to the high pressure nitrogen gas that keeps pressure on the floating dividing piston. The pressure exerts force on the hydraulic oil and prevents foaming and loss of viscosity, which ensures the shock, will continue to work as it was designed even when used on rough roads and or terrain.

The monotube design is widely considered superior to its twin tube counterpart due to boasting a considerably larger working piston and tighter manufacturing tolerances, in addition to having a greater resistance to heat buildup. Bilstein claims the working piston in their monotube shocks is 228 percent larger than the working piston in most conventional twin tube shock absorbers, which offers greater sensitivity and provides drivers with superior vehicle control.

Because the high performance front struts and rear shock absorbers of the twin tube variety are capable of enduring a number of track miles, can make this the perfect opportunity to upgrade to those components. Having learned more about Bilstein and the high performance monotube shocks they produce, you know handling would greatly benefit from the superior technology and design characteristics.

After installing Bilstein front struts and rear shocks, it will only take a few miles, for you to notice the improvement in handling response and shock dampening. Gone will be any signs of jumpiness when the car encounters imperfections in the road surface. Bilstein struts and shocks keep your stiff springs in check and helped the tires stay planted firmly on the pavement.

If you haven't experienced advanced shock absorber technology and the benefits a monotube design offers over conventional twin tube dampeners, you may want to consider looking into a set of Bilstein monotube gas pressure shock absorbers for your vehicle. Whether you have a street rod, muscle car, or late-model performance car, you'll surely notice the improved ride and handling feel monotube design offers."

My finding is that the twin tube design is more suitable for low speed, rougher terrain. This is when crawling in low range in Lesotho or on 4x4 trails. It is also better for ride comfort (Softer ride).

While the monotube are better for high speed applications like driving on tar roads or on dirt roads. The monotube will be better for traveling long distances on corrugated Namibian roads, sand in Botswana or over-landing trough Africa.

The big thing is both design has its advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the application of the product.

This is only my thought on the finding I have made. I am not a suspension expert after searching the net for a few articles so please do not crucify me if you do not agree. This is just a start if you would like to do more research on the subject.
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

:thumbup: Marino, :salute:

Now you know why off-road racers have shocks with external reservoirs. All the advantages of both types.

All I can say is, I am perfectly happy with the handling of my OME'd GQ. I have however never checked the temperatures.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Marino4x4
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Marino4x4 »

Hi

Yesterday I had some time to go and test the new Bilstein shock off-road. Here are some pictures of the travel I have on the suspension.

I must say that the ride quality of the car is much better now. It is like a different car. On the open road the handling is very good and off-road it is nice and comfortable with good feedback.
IMG_0014_small.jpg
IMG_0014_small.jpg (89.64 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
IMG_0023_Small.jpg
IMG_0023_Small.jpg (102.98 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
IMG_0025_small.jpg
IMG_0025_small.jpg (136.79 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
The nice thing is that they are already painted yellow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Patrol 4.5 GL 1998

Terrain 4X4 Parts
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

next stop is a set of 33" muddies !!!.....

Looks good mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Jorrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Jacobus Jordaan
Nickname: Jorrie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4500 GRX (now in Benji's hands), 2019 Zook Gen 4, 2011 4.8 GRX Patrol Adventure 60
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by Jorrie »

ricster wrote:next stop is a set of 33" muddies !!!.....

Looks good mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cedric
I agree with you!!! But I also have 2" lift in mind for my low profile Trol.
Jorrie
1998 4500 GRX (Benji)
2011 4800 GRX Adventure 60 (Jorrie)
2011 Jimny Sold (Benji)
2 x 2019 Jimnies (1 x Lizzybean69, 1 x Jorrie)

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”