Bash Plates

Bullbars, roof racks, suspensions and other accessories relating to vehicle performance
AdrianPowrie
Full Name: Adrian Powrie
Nickname: AdrianPowrie
Home Town: Alberton/Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2003 4.8 auto
Nissan 3.0 SE 2x4
Willy's Jeep/toyota...
Home Language: English

Re: Bash Plates

Post by AdrianPowrie »

Hi Peter

50% deposit paid for Galved Bash plate & Transfer skid.
Proof of payment Emailed!

Thanks for the time & effort!
Regards
Adrian

2003 4.8
Front bashplate (PC)
Transfer case skid plate (PC)
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Guys
Uncle Mac sent me the following PM:
Hallo P/ter

Broertjie - oompie sit meddie selle 'worri' as Stefan - as daai shackle soos opp die prentjie [askies - Skets / tekening / drawing]

ek sal probeer teken op Piant en vi jou stuur.
A - soos hy sit gaan dit maar BARS om eitas anders by hom in te haak - of sleepband deur de trek. Mens het die hele opening nodig daarvoor. [so gemiddeld 10 recoveries per Uitreik het my daai stukki al geleer]
Hoop nounie ek trap op jou toon nie - dis bloot advies - en jy weet mos, hirri outoppi weet okki alles 'ie [al dink die str^nt so ]
Oom I am replying on the thread because I can't attach the picture to a PM, I hope you do not mind.
These computer draughting programs can be quite limiting, and sometimes to get the result you are looking for requires a lot of effort. When I placed the shackles in the original picture I posted I was being lazy. The point is that the shackles we use are generally 3/4" shackles. The pin diameter on these shackles is 19mm. The hole in my plate, however is 22mm. Therefore the shackle can "twist", as I am attempting to show below:
shackled2.jpg
shackled2.jpg (393.04 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
This means that in fact most of the bow is accesable to hook things into.
Further, the shackle holes are placed as far as possible forward and as high as possible so that you don't have to dig too deep if it is your car that is stuck, but far enough down to not damage any part of the vehicle.
I decided not to extend the vertical mountings downward through the plate for this purpose because they will then be vulnerable to being bent (I did that on one of my previous bumpers and they have been bent).

However if you have a bullbar with recovery points, it would be better to use them. They will be higher, so the pulling angle will be better, and they will be more accessable.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Ruben
Full Name: Ruben Roach
Nickname: Ruben
Home Town: On a farm in Middelburg
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Nissan Hardbody 2.4

Post by Ruben »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your effort in designing what looks like a great Bash plate.

Just a question from a "not experienced" 4x4 guy; My Patrol is fairly standard except for the Warn winch. After I got deeply stuck on the farm over the weekend I thought that altough I could use my winch, it might not be abways possible and that I should invest in a Hi-Lift jack. Does one need an after market bumper to be able to use a Hi-lift jack, or does one only need to attach (weld) hi-lift jacking points, or is it possible to design such points on the Bash plate?

I suppose the answer is that the Bash plate sits too low to attach such hi-lift points, correct? If this is the case, what do you suggest I do to get jacking points?

Thanks
Ruben

1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Hi P/ter - neijj die oempie tjie maaind nix'ie as djy hie'laans antwoord gie nie - da' ka ammal mos gog wat gebeer..

Twee gedagtes - [almal hoef nie saam te stem nie] (i) Ek verkies my 'shackle' horisontaal [as opposed to die 'vertikaal' soos hy nou in di eontwerp is.
(ii) Die 'n absolute bogger om die hoote plasing van 'n hegpunt [recovery point] reg te kry om as "all rounder" te dien .. Lemme say this in Queens lingo: If the recovery point is situated too high, then the vehicle that is being recovered will pull the recovering vehicle UP{wards} - thus lifting it [or at least reducing] the traction on the rear wheels: If it is too low, the recovring vehicle will be pull down{wards}. BUT that is vice-versa true as well. (Met anner woorde, dis omgekeerd eweredig)

If the vehicle to be recovered is bogged down in mud (to the extend as Peter pointed out that you have to DIG to get to the connet points - GREAT, than the pulling vehicle is forced downwards, giving better traction - BUT if it is situated gigher than the pulling vehicl'e connect points .. eisjjj, Bru - julle gaan lank sukkel om uit daai strooooi te kom. Diep strooi. Letterlik.

So - somewhere in this mallieu is the "perfect fit.. trick is in finding it.. In my booklet? the lower the better - because recovery will 90% of the time require UPWARDS lift - not down
:mytwocents:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)

Post by Rudolph »

Hi Peter,

Baie nice job gedoen hier met die bash plates! Ek moet egter hierdie rondte uitsit vir 'n bestelling daar het paar dinge op geduik wat eers uitgesort moet word voor daar nuwe bybehore vir die Trol aangeskaf kan word. Wil eers my air cleaner op die nuwe Weber ook uitsort.

Groete
Rudolph
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello all.

Oom Mac I hear what you are saying. It is easy to get the shackle horizontal on the 4.8l model's bash plate as shown on the picture below. The shackle on the left is the recomended mounting point.
shackled3.jpg
shackled3.jpg (354.63 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
The other shackle shows another possible attachment point which is available on all the bash plates. However I do not recomend using this unless you are really deep in the poo. Using this point, the plate is almost guaranteed to bend, but what worries me far more is that the bolts holding the plate onto the car may well fail.

The plates on Y61 patrols will be held on with 4 M16 bolts at the front and four M8 bolts at the rear, and the M8's are probably not strong enough to withstand these types of loads.

I thought about extending the vertical mounting plates through the bottom of the plate, but I am sure they will be very vulnerable. Perhaps the answer is for me to make up some angle-iron brackets which can be hooked into the slots in the plate and then bolted into place securely but quickly?

Let me know your thoughts?
Peter
Last edited by Peter Connan on 28 Jan 2011 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Ruben

The biggest problem with attaching hi-lift points to the bash plate is not that it is too low, but rather that it is too far behind the bumper. You could weld jacking points on the bash plate, but they would have to be hugely strong, and then you are likely to peg them into the ground often.

Regards
Peter
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Haij daa P/ter - Sommer gedagte - kan mens nie die "recovery point" [snatch & tow point] direk aan die 'chassis (ONDERSTEL) heg nie?
Ek kannie teken nie - maar idee is seker duidelik? - Dit maak dan ook vir die ouens wat net die "recovery point" (Herwinningsankerpunt) soek sonder die "bash plate" (SLAG PLAAT of ook BESKERMINGSPLAAT) ook moontlik om dit dan losstaande aan te skaf?
Wonner sommer
front end recovery point.JPG
front end recovery point.JPG (40.82 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

Dit is 'n great idee oom Mac!
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Ek sal kyk daarna, maar sover ek kan onthou is daar nie vreeslik baie geskikte gate aan die kante van die chassis nie. Sal die naweek bietjie kyk.

Return to “18. Vehicle Accessories”