Full Name: Jacques Wilkinson
Nickname: JacquesW
Home Town: Kraaifontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans

4.8 Service

Post by jacquesW »

Hi All

I have had the Patrol (2006 4.8) for a couple of months now and I it's time for a service. Not according to the book but for my peace of mind. I have gone through the reference library and put together what I could. If someone could just confirm and recommend on below in regards to the parts I need to get.

AutoBox DipStick 31086VC20A
ATF Nissan Matic -J 11 Litres
Engine 15W40 6.8L
Diff Oil 80w90 Front 2.4 Litres
Diff Oil 80w90 Rear 3 Litres
Transfer Nissan Matic -J Capacity?

Nissan Air Filter 16546VB700W. Seems this is the recommended way to go or is there a generally accepted aftermarket alternative?

Oil Filter Nissan or is the GUD/FRAM parts acceptable?

Fuel Filter Nissan or is the GUD/FRAM parts acceptable?

Belts Nissan or is there Aftermarket?

Front Brakes FERODO FDB1577
Rear Brakes ??

Much Appreciated
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: 4.8 Service

Post by Tinus lotz »

When last was the gearbox oil done?
pgreeff
Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4

Post by pgreeff »

For the gearbox, if you plan on flushing it you might need a bit more than 11l. If you're just changing the oil by draining the oil pan you'll need about 5l as the rest stays in the torque converter. If your gearbox oil has been done recently the 5l change might be sufficient.

I changed my gearbox 5l at a time as the oil clearly had not be changed in a very long time, and some youtube videos warned about flushing a gearbox with really old oil as it might start slipping, so I did it 5l at a time and watched for any strange behaviour. Fortunately nothing happened. After almost 20l through the gearbox it still runs smoothly and the oil is clear and in theory there should be no more than about 6% of the old oil in the gearbox.

For the diffs I used EP75W90 GL5. The rear diff doesn't take a lot, but the front diff without the locker takes plenty of oil. I used most of the 2x 5l for both.

The transfer case uses EP75W90 GL4. I was advised to add 500ml of ATF to the transfer case to protect the auto hubs. When it is very cold the oil is thick enough to send drive to the front diff which tends to engage the auto hubs.

For the rest, have a look at the Service items thread, http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f= ... ems#p94909
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

The car has 315 000km on the clock. I have no idea as to when all these fluids was last done. Thus I want to replace it all so I know it has been done. The idea will be to flush the transmission so I will take the quantity in mind. Thanks for the heads up on the other oils.

I did see on one of the listings for the transfer case to fill with Nissan Matic -J. Is this the recommended option? Also how much oil does the transfer case take?
jonathan
Full Name: Jonathan Venter
Nickname: jonathan
Home Town: Jacobsbaai
Current 4x4: 2005 4.8 GRX

Post by jonathan »

I changed all my belts about 5000km ago with the belts below, all from Midas. Total of R520 for all three. No problems so far...

IMG_0279.JPG
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Thanks Jonathan. Added to shopping basket
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Pieter B »

I also flushed the auto box by just draining the oil pan. I measured afterwards and found about 6l drained. So just be careful of the amount of oil you have available. As mentioned earlier you need to do it a few times. I have done it twice so far and planning to it a third time at the end of the year. I bought the oil from Jacques at Atlantis Nissan in Pretoria. The oil is expensive, I paid around R220/l, but worthwhile in relation to a gearbox rebuild. The airfilter was about R500+, so not too expensive for a Nissan part
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Thanks Pieter

I figured i would employ the technique of filling with ATF while car is ideling and draining from the tranmission oil cooler return hose till the oil runs clear.

The only thing I am not clear on in this technique is whether you have to do the initial drain via the drain plug. Then replace drained quantity with new oil and then start the flush process via the oil cooler.

Alternatively what is the best way to check the state of oil to decide flush or just regular oil change. Keeping in mind I have not bought the dipstick as yet.
pgreeff
Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

Post by pgreeff »

Jacques, make a dipstick to check the oil level and quality, http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f= ... ick#p68418

I made mine with a piece of irrigation pipe. At the top I made a ring from insulation tape to indicate how far the dipstick must go into the filler / dipstick hole. At the other end I made some crosshatching with my pocket knife to indicate the minimum and maximum levels when the oil is hot. Take a white rag or tissue paper and wipe off the oil so you can see the colour.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Awesome. That's helpfull.

Return to “16. DIY Projects”