jacquesW
Full Name: Jacques Wilkinson
Nickname: JacquesW
Home Town: Kraaifontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8
Home Language: Afrikaans

Dummy Light brought to life

Post by jacquesW »

Boredom and a quick look at the forum got me to the auto spares shop and my dummy tail lights has found purpose!!

Unfortunately ZA requires Orange indicators so I was hoping to dual purpose the reverse clear lens. Does anyone know if on can get double contact LED that will emit white (Reverse) and Orange (Indicate) The wiring is there so really feel obligated to use it :)
20180505_084402.jpg
20180505_084346.jpg
20180505_084113.jpg
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: Dummy Light brought to life

Post by Tinus lotz »

Looks good man
DanieG
Full Name: Danie Gerryts
Nickname: Danie
Home Town: Stilbaai
Current 4x4: 2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
2016 Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi 4x4 A/T Supercab

Post by DanieG »

Dit lyk baie goed. Gee asb meer inligting oor hoe jy dit gedoen het.
Danie Gerryts
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Dankie.

Ek het die blanks uitgeboor met a 25mm boor. My probleem was net dat die gat nie regtig skouer los vir die lamp houer se skouertjies nie. Die generiese lamp houertjies het 4 x indraai hakkies so ek moes 1 van hulle af vyl omdat my gate altyd een deel van die gat sonder enige skouetjie gelos het.

Dan moes ek al die res van die indraai hakkies so klein bietjie kleiner vyl en ek moes ook die ingly groewe in die uitgeboorde gate vyl vir die lamp houer se hakkies.

Omdat ek nie meer regtig skouers in die gat gehad het vir die hakkies om in te gly nie moes ek my eie skouer maak. Gelukkig het ek n klein Dremmel tiepe boortjie met klein steentjie waarmee ek groewe kon vyl vir die hakkies om in te gly. Toe dit klaar is die lampies in. Hulle sit noggal "snug" maar ek gan steeds net so n klein bietjie warm gom op plekkies sit om seker te maak hulle werk nie hulle self los op die pad nie. Warm gom trek ook maklik af as n lamp moet vervang word.

Ek gaan ook gou vandag so klein bietjie Pratly Quickset smeer en laat hard word waar ek met vyl gewerk het om die silver laag te seel en verhoed dat dit skilfer.

Die duurste deel was die vervangings krag proppe wat ek gebruik het. Hulle was R300 (Stel) maar jy sal natuurlik goedkoop alternatiewe kan optel vir minder as R100. Die parte manne hetnie voorraad van male/female proppe gehad nie en wat lekker is va hierdie wat ek gebruik het is dat hulle is maklik om op te maak en is weer en stof bestand. Die lampies en lamp hoers het minder as R200 gekos.

Soos ek genoem het ek sal n dual contact LED liggie wil opspoor wat kombinasie van wit en oranje lig kan doen sodat ek die wit lense vir flikker en trurat gesaamenlik kan gebruik. As so iet nie bestaan nie en dit regtig genoeg pla in die toekoms sien ek n mens kry die lense in n opsie wat oranje insluit op boonste hoek via Depo Autolamp. Ek verstaan Midas mag dalk hulle produkte inbring.

Ek het die Depo Autolamps se Katalogus aangeheg asook nader fotos van die gate. Dit lyk rof maar dit werk :)
708.pdf
(263.47 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
20180506_062434.jpg
20180506_062411.jpg
20180506_062402.jpg
20180506_062302.jpg
20180506_062245.jpg
Bre
Full Name: Brent Harris
Nickname: Bre
Home Town: Bellville
Current 4x4: 1999 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
2000 Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDi Sport
2003 Nissan Hardbody 3.3 SEL DC 4x4
Home Language: English

Post by Bre »

Mooi werk, mooi werk :bravo:
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Ok. So after all the work that came out pretty good I managed to mess it up :redface:

Basically the drilling dust got between the lens cavities and the only way I could get in there was to run water through the lights. This cleaned out the dust and I do not believe this caused the problem. In an effort to dry the lights I used a hair dryer and a bit of over exposure on the 1 light seems to have caused the silver layer in on corner to shrivel up. It does not look horrible but it will bother me. So if you do this and need to use water to rinse out the dust do not artificially try to speed up drying. Leaving it to stand in the sun for a day or 2 is what it takes.

In the meantime I have been trying to get hold of the indicator integrated tail lights but the local agent for Depo only brings in the previous generation lights. I am trying to get an order from China but the MOQ is 10 sets. If I can secure pricing for R1000 or less per set would there be any takers? This should be directly compatible with your existing wiring harness.
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Jacques,

I'll be interesting if you can secure a set of tail lights for the face lift Patrol for under R1000.00!
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Hehe. Yeah I know. I am waiting on the shipping price as that is where it will all be won or lost.
Pieter B
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Botha
Nickname: Pieter
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: '05 Patrol 4.8 GRX

Post by Pieter B »

Keep us informed. The price looks right!
jacquesW

Post by jacquesW »

Unfortunatly a minimum Quantity order was not high up on the Chinese uppliers list of priorities and I lost my patience milking information out of them.

I have now ordered a set of Depo light frm the UAE. If you know someone that can bring them here for you it only works out to R900 for the set. I am using Aramex Global Shipper service to get it here so the total cost of the set will likely be around R2300 of which R252 goes to Standard Bank for the Privilege of making an International Payment. Aramex charges about R800 and then still customs and duties.

I went through Land Mark Auto's. They have a few branches across the UAE. Unfortunatly they do not have an online store so you will have to enquire by mail for parts and it will be a fairly manual transaction by means of mail and whatsapp . With shipping and all the other related charges I am still paying less than going to Nissan which will just supply me a dummy set again. Not to mention I would likely have to wait 6 - 10 weeks on Nissan to get the part.

Here is some pics of the parts ordered. I am hoping to take delivery in about 7 working days from Monday. My international transfer has to clear first before they will send the part out for delivery to my Aramax depot. Will keep you posted once I receive them.
IMG-20180510-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180510-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20180510-WA0003.jpg

Return to “16. DIY Projects”