Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Re: TD42 OWNERS QUESTION

Post by Kagiso II »

Pieter - Dis waarvan Peter praat...
Pieter - Dis waarvan Peter praat...
Gras2.jpg (190.99 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Gras.jpg
Gras.jpg (185.47 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Pieter Joubert du Toit
Nickname: PJ of ook Whitey
Home Town: Welgemoed
Current 4x4: 2002 Nissan Patrol GRX TD42T CONVERSION
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Many thanks for the links Christo :thumbup:
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
2002 - 2010 Patrol 3.0L TDi GRX - HANDGRANADE WENT BOOM!!
2010 TD42T GRX CONVERSION - SADLY SOLD!!
2005 4.8GRX - Ama-GluG GluG - SADLY SOLD!!
Cell no: 072 606 7007
Fax no: 086 500 9333
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi All

Thanks for your observations and input re the "vulnerability" of the condenser - it is a little bit of a concern to me as well and I am currently contemplating on what I should or could do to give it better protection. I was thinking more along the lines of just a deflecting plate in front of it - but that would take away normal airflow over he condenser.

It is not where we actually planned for it to go - behind where it sits now to the right rear side of the subtank there is a huge "hollowed in" piece of body work - I think this is where a lot of people would put another fuel tank. Here the condenser would have been totally "hidden" and a lot better protected - unfortunately the condenser was too big in size and did not fit nicely into that "hollowed out" area. That was the only alternative and most practical out of the way place it could then go.

So for now I think I will just test it and see how it goes - and what other concerns I might have. Then we will work from there again. For now the priority is to see how the vehicle's temperature behave - that's first prize then the rest will follow. Unfortunately the testing is a bit on hold again - we discovered my left front wheel was not turning freely whilst the car was on the lift - you really had to use elbow grease to turn the wheel. Upon closer inspection we found that the piston on the brake caliper is stuck - it is either seized already or in the process thereof. So for now the Patrol is standing at my mechanic's place.

Uncle Mac I catch your drift - but driving in grass that long I won't even consider using my aircon with the condenser in the front - just too much risk of fire in any case. I don't know if you saw the video of a guy's Prado that went up into flames from driving through long grass on a very very hot day and then he went and parked it somewhere along the line. It did not take too long for the grass to start to burn - and suddenly no Prado - Ouch!!!!

But keep them thoughts and suggestions coming - I need it and other perspectives are always welcome.

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Hi All

As promised some better pics of all the latest conversions and add-ons I have added to Mufasa - this is all in the interest of safety to ensure I don't run into what happened with Frans and Cedric - and I sincerely pray that t all will help because a lot of money, time and effort went into this - and it wil be devastating if this was all in vein. But somehow I doubt it.....

Firstly I also had my winch box moved away between my spotlights to improve airflow to the radiator

The winbox itself is now on the inside of the bumper

And the power point on top of the bumper

Here is the position of the oil cooler - it sits behind the holes in the bumper - I had them cut bigger for better airflow

The mounting plate made on which the oil cooler itself is mounted as well.

The oil cooler itself through one of the holes

The oil pressure switch

The sandwich plate on the engine - noy visible in the pic is the oil temp sender also on the sandwich plate

The oil cooler pipes

And lastly the oil pressure gauge inside the Patrol

Some other pics still to follow....
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

For those who are curious about it - this is what it looks like in the front of my radiator after I had the aircon condenser moved - I think quite impressive!

And this is what it looks lie form the front grill side.....

All in all I am monitoring all of the following functions - like I said hopefully to my benefit. They are:

Voltage and service hours

Horizon (nice to have)

Articulation (Nice to have but handy on a 4x4 trail to see the angels your car was leaning at.)

The oil temperature reading including oil pressure switch audible alarm for low oil pressure and flashing "low oil pressure warning" on the screen.

The coolant temp reading also including an audible low coolant level alarm and flashing "low coolant level warning" on the screen.

The very important EGT's

Also very important is the boost pressure

And then the dual battery controller which you can either jump start yourself (if your main battery goes flat) or connect the two batteries in series for when using the winch by the press of a button

Swambo says Mufasa now looks like an aeroplane's cockpit when climbing into it - and too many to look at!! Luckily all the important things have audble alarm settings so no need to constantly monitor or look at all he readings. And it has a maximum reading menu so at the end of a trip you could go and look at the maximum reading of each function tha was recorded during your trip.

I like it and hopefully it will warn me early enough if something does happen before I will be able to drive the engine "moer toe"!! :lol: :lol:

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Pieter for all the trouble.

I also sincerely hope all this does the trick for you. As an aside, I had my car professionally serviced last week (for only the second time since I bought it). The guy I took it to has a 4.5 and he also had overheating problems at some point. He has also fitted a couple of bonnet vents and replaced the fan and viscous coupling with those from the 4.2 Diesel. apparently the viscous coupling on the diesel has less slippage than that fitted to the petrol engine. I wonder whether there is a viscous coupling with even less slippage?

Also, if you have problems now in deep sand when travelling slowly at low revs, you should now be able to place a blow-type fan in front of the radiator, to force some airflow when the viscous fan doesn't really contribute?

Good luck
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Well done !!!....looks good... keep us posted on how it performs
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Pieter du Toit
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Pieter du Toit »

Peter Connan wrote: Also, if you have problems now in deep sand when travelling slowly at low revs, you should now be able to place a blow-type fan in front of the radiator, to force some airflow when the viscous fan doesn't really contribute? Peter
Peter,

I atully forgot to menion this part in this whole post I created yesterday - thanks for reminding me!!

I am you one step ahead - already thought of that. That's why with the aircon condenser conversion I left the factory standard Nissan fan that was sitting in front of it there. This is a 2 speed fan. Now I have put a relay on the fan and used only the high speed setting and connected it to the MadMan Monitor - it has a function that allows you to control a fan at certain coolant temperatures which you can set yourself!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: So I had everthing connected this weekend and now that fan comes on if my water temperature reaches 95 deg and switches off again on 90 deg. :thumbup: :thumbup: It even throws little message in the MadMan screen bottom that says "fan on"!! Will post a pic later.

Only problem thus far was I could not get my car to chase the water temperature up to 95 deg yet - :surprised: :lol: - but all has only been town driving. Thus far I have only recorded water temps up to 88 deg in town drivng. So just in order to test it I set the fan on temperature at 55 deg and the fan off temp at 50 deg - works like a dream!!!! I can do something similar like that while deepsand driving!!

I am so curious as to test all of this on the open road with the trailer hitched and the Patrol fully loaded and everthing - but that part will maar for now have to wait for my holiday. We will be 5 adults with a fully loaded Patrol, roofrack and trailer in tow to leasotho / Transkei on the 22nd!!

Regards
Pieter du Toit
MUFASA
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

:salute: :thumbup:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

lyk baie cool! :thumbup:

Return to “16. DIY Projects”