koosjr
Full Name: Koos Uys
Nickname: Koosjr
Home Town: Bloemfontein
Current 4x4: 1984 Nissan Safari S/W LD28
Home Language: Afrikaans

Nissan Patrol 4.2 D P/U

Post by koosjr »

I contacted a guy today who advertises a (apparently 1999) Nissan Patrol 4.2 Diesel Pickup.

The thing is relatively cheap at R 30000, BUT the front diff is kaput because it ran without oil. How, I don' t know but it happens.. Ask me. :idea:

Since this pickup still have leave srpings, it means it has the exact same chassis as my Safari. I think of getting the bakkie and swopping the bodies so that I can have the 4.2 power for overlanding and then either sell or keep the bakkie.

Where would I find a front diff. I thought of an ARB unit, but if the crown gear and pinion are buggered - which is most likely, it will not work.

Seconly, i can find almost no info on this body shape anywhere on the net. As if they did not exist. Didi they had a rear locker or only a LSD? If it is only a LSD, then I can swop it with Safari axles and get it over.

The drawback of this conversion is that most of the spares that I build up for my Safari will not be applicable any more. Are things like water pumps and oil pump for example easy to get on the 4.2? Also, is this a pushrod or a timing chain motor and how is the diesel pump driven?
JG Shields
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: JG Shields
Nickname: JG
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4500 EFi

Re: Nissan Patrol 4.2 D P/U

Post by JG Shields »

Koos, I sent you a PM. Valuable info in there!

Good luck!
Patrol fan!
PierrePille
Full Name: Pierre Lombard
Nickname: Pierre Pille
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol Y60 4.2d Pick-up
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 105 GX 4.5efi
2011 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Re: Nissan Patrol 4.2 D P/U

Post by PierrePille »

Hi Koos
I replaced my Safari with one of those 4.2D Patrol P/U, and I love it to bits. It apparently has imported diffs. I'm not to sure whether they do have an LSD rear diff - as far as I know, they don't.
I don't think you will be able to change the Safari and Patrol parts as easily - when I sold my Safari, I tried to keep the bullbar, but they could not make it fit the Patrol as the chassis was apparently wider than the Safari's.
I'm looking at having an ARB diff-locker installed at the rear, but 4x4 Megaworld want's to see the vehicle first - will let you know what happens.
See if you cannot find more info on the Y60 Patrol P/U on the Aussie websites. I've seen some of them advertise suspension parts for the leafsprung Y60 P/U in the Australian 4x4 Action magazine.
Accessories seem to be quite scarce. Most of the guys in the Cape were willing to fabricate me a bumper etc but my problem is getting the vehicle to the Cape. When ARB had a special on the plain bumper, I was dissapointed to find that it did not fit my vehicle - passed it on to Jules. LA Sport R/Bay then made a TJM Bumper fit my vehicle - don't seem to master how to get pics loaded on the website. Will post a picture as soon as I find out how.
Please let me know if you manage to get more info on accessories etc on this vehicle,

Pierre
p.s On the right hand side of your rear diff, there should apparently be a plate specifying the axles diff ratio. See if you cannot find a similar axle at the scrapyards, or maybe look at replacing the axles alltogether with other axles. A friend of mine bought a Patrol axle just to get the long-travel shocks for his Hilux - if the diff ratios are the same, we will be looking at fitting the Nissan Diff-lock to my vehicle. If fitting any diff-lockers is going to br a hassle, I will be looking at replacing both diffs with GU diffs - all depending on the price and (scrapyard) availability. This conversion seems popular in AUS, as the GU diffs are stronger. I think the diff-ration also changes for the better - if I remember coorectly.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”