Gideon
Full Name: Gideon
Nickname: Gideon
Home Town: Deneysville
Current 4x4: None :( 4x2
Home Language: Afrikaans

Advise newbie

Post by Gideon »

Hi guys i want to buy me a patrol but would like to find out i read something about the 3.0 diesel being a grenade, which models is that? And then the fuel comsumption for diesel vs petrol? And reliability between the two? Looking to buy a 2000-2003 model.
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Re: Advise newbie

Post by iandvl »

Gideon wrote: 15 Nov 2017 09:23 Hi guys i want to buy me a patrol but would like to find out i read something about the 3.0 diesel being a grenade, which models is that? And then the fuel comsumption for diesel vs petrol? And reliability between the two? Looking to buy a 2000-2003 model.
Gideon,

Welcome here.

I'd steer clear of any 3L Patrol prior to 2004. Those were apparently the grenade motors.

Between 2000 and 2003 (excluding the 3L's, as per my earlier comment), you'd be looking at a 4.5 petrol, and a 4.2 diesel. I've got the 4.5 - consumption is probably about 6km/L on the open road (I've got it to high 6's before - depending on how you drive). In traffic, consumption is written on the door - 4500 metres per Litre.... :rolling: :rolling:

Not sure how the 4.2 diesel compares, but I'm sure one of the oil-burning bunch will be around to explain shortly.

Reliability between the 4.5 and the 4.2 is probably about the same. Depends on how the vehicle has been looked after. Enjoy - let us know if you find one.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
SCUBA Patrol
Full Name: Phillip Jacobs
Nickname: Phillip
Home Town: Cape Town (Stellenbosch)
Current 4x4: Patrol 2006 3l diesel(die eerste Voetspore een)

Post by SCUBA Patrol »

Gideon,

I have to agree with Ian there.

Thou there are members with pre-2004 3l oil burners that is going strong (Greg "Juice" on the forum is one). The consumption on the 3l diesel is the best of any of the 4x4's and by a landslide! I easily get 8-10km/l depending on driving conditions.

Good luck with the search!
Phillip
2006 3l with MADMAN
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Gidjon .. ik antw sommer in Afr. [if you want translation ask Google] :biggrin: :oldtimer: :oldtimer:
Die ZD30 enjin het probleme .. sommige van hulle. Hoofsaaklik is al die 30 diesel engines maar sensitief.. VERAL VIR TE WARM EGT en verkeerde fuelling instellings.
As mens kyk na die getal 4,2 diesel [wat 'bullet proof' berig word] wat net by Micvhael inkom vir engine regmaak .. dan is hulle ook maar riskant
As jy n 3.0 Patrol koop van ouer as 2005, maak seker dis n winskoop. Maak seker die enjin loop. Kyk of die vorige eienaar n EGT 'readr' [soos Madman ens] installeer het.
VERVANG die pistons. Toets die head. maak tripple seker die ECU is reg gestel vir die voertuig. Hou daai EGT onder 600 grade C.
En daai enjin sal jarrrre loop sonder probleme. My ZD 30 Hard Body bakkie [aan Wimpie verkoop] loop nounog. Probleemvry en loop kringe om n 4.2 turbo Land Cruiser [vra maar vir Wimpie] en tot Wimpie sy vrou se D4D Fortuner getjip het het Boezman daai Toy ook weggedraf.
Wat ek eintlik probeer se: As jy hom oppas, gee hy nie probleme nie.
[KZTE en D4D en Colt 2,8 en 3,2 kraak weer heads en hulle turbo's gaan gereeld, om nie eens van VW te praat nie]
[Navraag maar by die Turbo plekke watter turbo's werk hulle meest eaan .. VW en FORD.]
Regte prys vir n 3.0 Patrol GRX van 2003/2002 .. onder 1000 K rande. in my boekie
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Louis Nel
Full Name: Louis Nel
Nickname: Louis
Home Town: Vryheid
Current 4x4: 1998 Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX Manual

Post by Louis Nel »

One thing I must add guys, it might sound a little bit rude but, when you buy a Patrol, then you should not care about fuel consumption. Its thirsty, period. But it gets you anywhere you want to go and beyond, ride is really comfortable and does not break easy. You simply can't go wrong in a Patrol!!
You Can With a Nissan
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Welcome Gideon,

Yeah the 3.0 Patrols pre 2004 are the problem childs of Nissan, however saying that, there are many still going strong as mentioned earlier. I have always said that If I was to get a 3.0 Patrol, the first thing I would do is open up the motor and give it a good going over. Possibly change the pistons ( just incase ) and obviously new bearings seeing as everything is open. So one would need to get a 3.0 for a good deal first off to allow one to spend a few rands to get the motor perfect. I would get the ECU remapped, do the NADS nodification( search on the forum for loads of info on how to do it ), and then drive for 500 000Km around Africa happily.

Generally we hang onto our Patrols, so once you have one... you tend to keep it, so resale value is not really in my opinion a reason to not buy a Patrol or spend a few rands to get it to where you want it.

The 4.2 Diesel with aftermarket turbo is a beaut to drive. If I drive mine loaded and like a gentleman at 115 -120 Km/h on a long trip, then 12L/100Km is achievable.... go faster and your Patrol will tell you in no uncertain terms that you must plan a fuel stop. This goes for ALL Patrols ( ok except the 3.0L, that beast is something else on fuel consumption ). On mine If I travel at 130 - 140Km/h I can hit 15L/100Km easily. Patrols are not designed for speed. If you want speed then a Subaru is maybe a better option....hahahaha.... or if the wallet is big enough then the 4.8 is a worthy option too.

I would say that the 3.0 is the most economical, then the 4.2 diesel N/A ( but that is a donkey to drive ) then the 4.2 diesel with a turbo. Then, and I stand corrected, but I think a 4.5 Petrol followed by the 4.2 petrol, and then the 4.8 tipping the scales at the heaviest in fuel consumption.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Gideon
Full Name: Gideon
Nickname: Gideon
Home Town: Deneysville
Current 4x4: None :( 4x2

Post by Gideon »

Hi guys thanks for the replies think i will go with the 4.5 grx then. Iandvl what do you drive?
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Good stuff Gideon, shout if you need help sourcing a good Patrol.... There are a few guys here that will be able to assist.

While you are at it, go to this link and fill in the blanks, it's the best first stop you can make in the forum.... even if you don't own a Patrol yet !!.... http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewforum.php?f=35
Regards
Cedric
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Regards
Cedric
offroadbiker
Full Name: Dirk de Clerk
Nickname: ORB
Home Town: Krugersdorp
Current 4x4: Patrol GQ 4.2 ST
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by offroadbiker »

I know of a blue one that is also for sale, drop me a PM if interested.
Dirk
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 ST

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”