DH70
Full Name: Donald Hastie
Nickname: Donnie
Home Town: Melkbos
Current 4x4: NA
Home Language: Afr, Eng

4.2D service

Post by DH70 »

I'm up for a service on all oils, fluids, filters, etc. on my 1999 4.2D. I've checked everywhere but can't find a list of the best options to use regarding oil, etc. Can anyone please share a link if the info is available?
This will be the first service since owning the vehicle, so what do workshops generally charge for a big service?
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: 4.2D service

Post by ricster »

I don't know what they charge but....

Engine oil

Delo 400 ( not Delo Gold ) is recommended by many Patrol owners here and in Australia

Filters

I use the standard GUD / Fram filters ( note the 2 oil filters may be different part numbers, as they may be different lengths. I have heard that many just use 2 of the longer filters )

Air filter will depend on the set up you have. I presume you have the standard pan air filter, again GUD / Fram is the easiest option.

As this will be the first service that you do, I would ( if it was my vehicle, so my opinion only ), but get a oil flush product, like the Wynns or well known brand names, and add that to the old oil before draining. Follow the instructions carefully, and then drain out all the old oil and gunk, fill up with new oil ( a cheap one can be used as these TD42's take about 10 litres to fill up. Then drive around the block a few times to flush out all remaining old oil. Let it cool for a bit, cause you don't want to burn. Drain out the new/old oil and then change the filters and replace sump plug and fill up on the Delo 400..... and Bob's ya aunty !! You are good for another 5000Km.

When its time to do the next service, simply drain the old oil and change oil filters, then put sump plug back in and fill up again with the Delo 400 oil.
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

DH70 wrote:I'm up for a service on all oils, fluids, filters, etc. on my 1999 4.2D. I've checked everywhere but can't find a list of the best options to use regarding oil, etc. Can anyone please share a link if the info is available?
This will be the first service since owning the vehicle, so what do workshops generally charge for a big service?
I also use Delo 400. 10.5 liter iirc. (about R260 per 5L)
GUD/Fram oil & diesel filters. Oil filter: 2 x Fram PH2850 (R198excl for 2), diesel filter: Fram P4922 (R132excl.)
Then I use the Nissan air filter. Mine is the cyclone filter - they about R500 at nissan.

Also have a look at these threads:

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=262
http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5391
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Post by Grant »

Delo 400 every 5000 km and you will have an engine running for decades.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”