Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: 4.8 GRX spares kit

Post by Tinus lotz »

Ok I forgot spare fuses and feul filter..cable ties and a universal petrol pump may be a good idea .. . And the workshop manual
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by Clem »

Tinus lotz wrote:Clem
I have done about 150000 km in a 4.8 in moz botz and namib and a lot was on tar I have never had any failure wat so ever ...
I think a full set of belts ..a spare fan blade (becouse it left us stranded in moremi when gerrit broke it on a river crossing )
Some scotch 23 . Or even better mastic 23 combo , pratley putty and a grease gun ....dont forget the 2 rolls of duct tape .it comes down to proper pre trip inspections mabe a spare radiator cap?
Thanks Tinus. Fan blade? Surprising it broke. Maybe entered the water a bit fast?
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

No he did everything by the book mabe his car was a bit hot or his frontwheel whent into a hole when crossing point is we had a major problem flying one in from maun I will take a generic with next time just in case
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Regarding the radiator fan:

They are known to crack up after a few years. Also, I think his viscous was coupled as he entered the water (he started up and drove straight in).

I think it might be worth just slacking the fan belt before a deep crossing?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Peter Connan wrote:Regarding the radiator fan:

They are known to crack up after a few years. Also, I think his viscous was coupled as he entered the water (he started up and drove straight in).

I think it might be worth just slacking the fan belt before a deep crossing?
Peter, on Series LR's (no viscous coupling, permanently driven) one should ideally always remove the fanbelt. Breaking the fan is one thing but if it flexes and cuts the radiator you might have a bigger problem. Its a good point about starting up a driving right in - good idea to let the viscous settle first. But could one not tie the fan blade into a stationary position with say a cable tie? I've never had fan blade problems in the past but I noticed the Patrols coupling seems to have more driving force than my old Discovery's. Maybe because its still new - not sure at all.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I would be hesitant to try and tie it up, as you would then have the whole force on one blade, and I am sure if the viscous engages for whatever reason damage would result.

The other idea I have toyed with is to make up something like a seednet but from canvas, to attach before a river crossing. This may have additional advantages in keeping the electrics dry?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Peter Connan wrote:I would be hesitant to try and tie it up, as you would then have the whole force on one blade, and I am sure if the viscous engages for whatever reason damage would result.

The other idea I have toyed with is to make up something like a seednet but from canvas, to attach before a river crossing. This may have additional advantages in keeping the electrics dry?
Something similar was used on Series Landys way back when. As much to keep water mud out the radiator as anything else. Theoretically with such a contraption and moving at reasonable speed through the water, the water should be lower in the forward part of the engine compartment rising towards the back - or so it is said.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”