Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Interesting comparison: Amarok vs Patrol ownership

Post by Clem »

It doesn't take much to beat my GRX on road - that massive live axle in the front makes for terrible road manners, far worse than my old Discovery which also had a live axle in the front but which wasn't as big and therefore it didn't affect the steering as much.
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Alex Roux »

Clem wrote:It doesn't take much to beat my GRX on road - that massive live axle in the front makes for terrible road manners.
Provided I drive in a straight line with no speed bumps, my GRX goes beautifully on the open road.
It is the cornering and the bumps that do not go well with the live axle.

During the last Dakar I saw an H3 Hummer drive down a giant dune at around 140 km/h.
From the bottom ofthe dune you could see how hard and effective the IFS system was working,
If I did that with my Trol, I do not think my relatives would have been able to recgnise my remains at the bottom, or that of my truck.

There are certain things for which a live axle is not suitable. One of them is racing down a dune.
But then I enjoy better flex and hence traction on other terrains. That is the reason why I drive what I drive.
There is no perfect 4x4.
Different horses for different courses.
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
theunis kruger
Full Name: Theunis Kruger
Nickname: Theunis
Current 4x4: Amarok 132kW Auto 4Mo

Post by theunis kruger »

Peter Connan wrote:Theunis, there is something I want to add:

At what lifetime does the Rok start needing things like timing belt replacement and replacement injectors?

I sincerely believe that (for a wide variety of reasons) the Rok will never be able to compare with a Troll off road, but on the other hand (and for very much the same reasons), the Rok probably beats the troll hands down on the road (I haven't driven one, but would be very surprised if it isn't).
Hi Peter

I don't intend driving it that long, to be honest.

You are welcome to take mine for a spin & give your opinion, anytime!!
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Alex Roux wrote:It is the [snipped] bumps that do not go well with the live axle.
Exactly what I am referring to.

However, I have yet to be convinced that there is anything to beat a live axle when the going gets really rough. I specifically wanted a vehicle with live axles and coil springs, the only other new one currently on the market that I am aware of being the Land Rover Defender, which is not an option for me for various reasons.
Herrie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Kobus Pienaar
Nickname: Herrie
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1999 Patrol 4500e GRX
1983 Datsun Safari

Post by Herrie »

At least with the Patrol's front and rear suspension you hardly feel pot holes!

On my way to Borakalalo there is lots of pot holes and when I go with the Patrol I just go straight and don't even try to miss the pot holes.

Two years ago we went through Freestate to Kiara Lodge and there was also lots of pot holes and both my sons tried to follow me in my wife's Pajero and the pot holes was to bad for the Pajero and my one son decided to come back on the N3. my other son came back with us in the Patrol and wanted to know why i'm driving a different road because nothing shakes. I told him to check the road as it is the same and he wanted to know how I missed the pot holes and I showed him that I just go straigt and he said he will always join us with the Patrol because it is the most comfortable vehicle to drive with.
Herrie op Safari/Patrollie
1983 Safari
1999 Patrol 4500 GRX
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Herrie wrote:At least with the Patrol's front and rear suspension you hardly feel pot holes!

On my way to Borakalalo there is lots of pot holes and when I go with the Patrol I just go straight and don't even try to miss the pot holes.

Two years ago we went through Freestate to Kiara Lodge and there was also lots of pot holes and both my sons tried to follow me in my wife's Pajero and the pot holes was to bad for the Pajero and my one son decided to come back on the N3. my other son came back with us in the Patrol and wanted to know why i'm driving a different road because nothing shakes. I told him to check the road as it is the same and he wanted to know how I missed the pot holes and I showed him that I just go straigt and he said he will always join us with the Patrol because it is the most comfortable vehicle to drive with.
Which is a key reason that I bought the Patrol. Africa has some exceptionally bad roads in places. Which is also why I wonder whether that Metalian trailer is going to survive behind the Patrol.
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Clem,

That is why I have a Conqueror Comfort. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I have made custom mud flaps that fit into the high lift jack points and prevent stone chips on the fresh paint.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Grant wrote:Clem,

That is why I have a Conqueror Comfort. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I have made custom mud flaps that fit into the high lift jack points and prevent stone chips on the fresh paint.
Grant, why would the Conqueror be any more likely to survive than the Metalian? Not sure I'm following?

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”