Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(
Home Language: English

Re: 6.6L Duramax v8 tdi motor in Troll

Post by Dustin »

I joined last year.
I posted this on the 26/11/2010.
It's not my car, I found the post on the Ozzie forum ans posted it here.
I would love that beast of a motor thumping away under my Troll's bonnet, but I'm not Rockefella, I'm the other fella :lol:

With regard to the questions about 2 snorkels.
I've got a few Ozzie DVD's as well and at least 50% of the guys that have kitted their cars themselves have made up rear facing snokels, I even saw 1 guy with a Safari snorel that turned the ram head backwards.

Not 100% sure why they opt tis configuration, but I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the thick dust that is kicked up on just about any dirt road or track you travel there.

I'm just guessing, but I'm sure the logic behind this is that a diesel motor, unlike a petrol motor, sucks 100% air at all times and just varies the amount of diesel injected into the cylinders depending on the throttle position.
The theory then would be that the rear facing snorkel would still draw air by a vuccum principal caused by the huge compression of the diesel motor, but whether or not it is sufficent for the motor's capacity is something that would need to be investigated by the techies. :mytwocents:

The effectivness of 'ram hood' snorkels could be questionable, and I know I'm bound to offend some people here so I'll appologise in advance, but it's a true story.
A mate of mine still owns his Tdi Land Rover Defender (I saw the error of my ways and escaped while my wallet was more or less in tact :lol: )
He fitted an aftermarket snorkel (I won't metion which brand so as not to cause an upset), and he had also fitted an aftermarket temp guage, because the Land Rover equipment is well... let's say not reliable.
He's pretty pedantic about things and drives his Landy quite laid back (personally I just think he drives it carefully in the hopes it doesn't break down as much)
On a trip we did, the ram hood got snapped off by a branch that shot loose from his brush deflector.
He drove it for a while with just the pipe becuase the cost for a new snorkel had to be saved up for.
He noticed once the ram hood was gone that the vehicle ran FAR cooler than before.
Just my 2c :mytwocents:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hi Dustin
I realized that this was not your car, but a guy called Rob Robson joined the forum a few days ago (after you posted this), under the name Duramax Dreaming. According to his profile he has a troll with this engine fitted.

With regard to the direction of the snorkel head, I know a number of guys on this forum turn their heads around when driving in convoy on dirt roads (I mean their snorkel's heads :lol: ). The inlet trackt from the head of the snorkel to the engine is so convoluted that you probably lose virtually all ram-effect anyway, but the more air you can get into the engine, the more fuel you can succesfully burn, and this in turn generates heat. However this doesn't necessarily explain the drop in temperature your friend noticed, because the fact that he had extra power available doesn't necessarily mean that he used that extra power?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Dustin
Full Name: Dustin Roberts
Nickname: Dustin
Home Town: Port Elizabeth
Current 4x4: Patrol-less :-(
Home Language: English

Post by Dustin »

Eish...
My apologies Peter.
A blond moment on my part :biggrin:
I'll chalk my "chop of the day" moment up to being over worked, under paid, and counting the days to our shut down period.
I'm abit slower than usual this morning. People sometimes call me Rob or Robbie becasue of my surname so I didn't click when you said "Rob" :sleep:
a.k.a. Datsun Dustin

View my Patrol's story here : http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=6478

No hill too steep, no donga too deep !
GO PATROL !!!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

No worries Dustin

Similarly, I can't wait for the 15th. and know exactly how you feel.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

All big trucks run diesel motors, and on the most (even mid-sized ones) the air-intake comes up behind the cab with inlets that can allow air to enter, but would be impossible to "ram" air into them with speed. Surely the same principle can be applied to a 4x4 with a snorkel? i.e. it doesn't really matter which way the head of the snorkel faces?

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”