Adrianjvr
Full Name: Adrian
Nickname: Adrian
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: '91 SWB Patrol 4.2d
Home Language: English

Re: Newbie Patrol Owner

Post by Adrianjvr »

Thanks Dave. I was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time. This afternoon I removed the rear propshaft and tightened the loose splash cover under the gearbox and all the noises and vibrations are a thing of the past. I'm going to sent the propshaft to Propshaft Master for refurbishment later this week. I spoke to the previous owner this afteenoon (Canadian working for the UN in Botswana) and she confirmed that the vehicle had an oil chnage every 5000km, a minor service every 1000km and a major service every 3000km under a UN contract with a local garage. I have their number and am hoping to get all the service details shortly.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

jissis!!! thats nice! I know exactly where that is, garage on the right as you head towards broadacres right? they had a short wheel base GU ZD30 there too last year, going for about R130 000 or so, gold-ish colour, stood there for ages though as it was an import and okes couldn't get the paperwork sorted. Your GQ looks way way way meaner though, hell that thing is the bomb! Soooooooo much potential. Thanks for posting pics.

Ps: This is definitely a heap stronger than your old 3.5 Cruiser shorty mate, and although i love those cruisers, i reckon you gonna have the time of your life with those coils, as the cruiser had leafs remember, this is a different animal now :salute:
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Post by SRXy »

Adrianjvr wrote:
IMG00295.jpg
IMG00303.jpg
That's a VERY lekker Troll!!! Lucky bugger!
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510
Mrowka
Full Name: Kevin Mason
Nickname: Kevin
Home Town: Kiev
Current 4x4: 1994 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD

Post by Mrowka »

Me likes.
Патроль - эта вечная машина!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Tinus lotz »

very very nice !!!
that lever you spoke about is to disconnect one side of the anti roll bar but my friend Peter will give you a reply tonight! :woo:
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

ek is JALOERS ... punt - Maar welkom hier Bru - en mag daai girlie vir jou jarrrrrrrre se plesier gee,,,
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Adrian

Nice car man, congrats!

The sway bar disconnect system is covered in the Max Ellery's manual I have. I bought the manual from Motorbooks in Joburg, and it covers your SWB car as well as the LWB like mine and the cab-chassis.

Unfortunately it just has a picture of the gizmo from the outside, and does not explain how it works or how to dismantle it. What I do know about it is the following: It (the box of fancy trickery) bolts onto the chassis on the driver's side and it simultaneously replaces the one vertical link from the chassis to the anti-rollbar itself. It is cable-operated from the lever in the footwel. All the Y60 (GQ) and Y61 (GU)'s have the necessary bracket on the chassis.

An interesting thing is that Jeep are very chuffed with themselves because they have now introduced a similar system in the Wrangler Rubicon, while the Patrols have had it since whenever, and I actually the idea is even older than that.

However I suppose the important question is what does it do, and what is the value of such a system? In effect the link between the chassis and the anti-rolbar is made longer but the connection with the chassis mounting point can be disconnected, so that the link can slide up and down when the system is activated. In the Jeep Rubicon this is supposed to allow as much as 28% more wheel movement in cross-axle situations. However in the Patrol (dependent of course on spring rates and how the vehicle is loaded) I doubt there is quite as much effect, however in your shorty it might very well make a lot of difference.

My car is a 1996 LWB petrol, and unfortunately it does not have this system. It is fitted with OME suspension, but I do not know exactly what as it was done by a previous owner. I have toyed with the idea of making one for some time, and as part of my fiddling in this connection I tried to measure how much difference it would make to my car. What I did was to jack the rear end of my car up under the tow bar, and then measure the length of the rear shocks in that position. I then drove it to my nearest 4x4 track and parked it on a cross-axle whith 2 wheels in the air, and measured the shocks again. The extended one measured almost exactly the same, and on the compressed side the axle was in contact with the bump-stop rubber. However I have noticed that when I drive my car over a less severe cross-axle, such as an angled speedbump the front wheels go over the bump without really moving the cab, but when the rear axle goes over the bump, the body sways, and I beleive this system will reduce that effect and thus give you a smoother ride on rough dirt roads at moderate to low speeds.

Regards
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Below a pic of after market disconects. I am having some made for my Troll. I already have some extended bump stop for the rear in but want to increase the articulation on demand.

Regards
Attachments
GU%20Sway%20bar%20disconnects%20800%20web.jpg
GU%20Sway%20bar%20disconnects%20800%20web.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Mrowka
Full Name: Kevin Mason
Nickname: Kevin
Home Town: Kiev
Current 4x4: 1994 Nissan Patrol 4.2TD

Post by Mrowka »

Grant wrote:Below a pic of after market disconects. I am having some made for my Troll. I already have some extended bump stop for the rear in but want to increase the articulation on demand.

Regards
It looks like my prayers have been answered!

Is the fabricator taking orders? How do you get the necessary cables for hooking it up?
Патроль - эта вечная машина!
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

jhey Russs - ju mieen dis vhan??
KortPatrollie.jpg
KortPatrollie.jpg (174.22 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Not to worri - he is in the Family of Trollers - and 'ttended the DYNO Day [dunno the outputs but it is a BEAUTY...]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”