Official Coverage in Africa: Nissan vs Toyota vs Others?

Can't find a category above, then post here
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Official Coverage in Africa: Nissan vs Toyota vs Others?

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

It seems to be "conventional wisdom" that Toyota has vastly superior official coverage of Africa compared to other manufacturers. I also know that some members here, like Oom Mac have rather different opinions, based on experience. When this topic recently raised its head again (elsewhere), I decided to see what I could find. Here are some results that might be of interest to the members here:

Nissan:

http://www.nissanafrica.com/en/web/head ... r_1861.htm

Some of the countries that are not covered on the map are Western Sahara, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, Sierra Leone, Togo, Namibia and Botswana.

Nissan's "official" coverage of Africa as a percentage of countries is about 75%

Toyota

http://www.toyota-africa.com/

Here you will notice that countries not covered include Western Sahara, Algeria, Libya, Gabon, Namibia and Botswana.

Toyota's "official" coverage of Africa as a percentage of countries is about 87%

Other?

Mitsubishi Motors has coverage in around 83% of African countries, including Algeria and Libya (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/).

Land Rover seems to have about 69% "official" coverage in Africa (http://www.landrover.com/gl/en/lr/marke ... ion=africa).

So it is clear that Toyota covers more countries than the others investigated, but the difference is not as great as many seem to believe. Also, the importance of the specific areas covered or not covered by the one or the other manufacturer obviously depends on where you intend going.

By the way, the reason why Nissan and Toyota both have no information on coverage for Namibia/Botswana is because these regions are supported directly by dealers that fall under the Nissan/Toyota South Africa regions. The same applies to Lesotho and Swaziland.

Of course the info above says nothing about the quality of support on offer, regardless which manufacturer... :wink:
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Official Nissan Coverage in Africa

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Gerrit, thanks for coming to my aid "elsewhere", i was behind enemy lines for the last few days, and yesterday i couldnt find you anywhere :lol: ....As they say though, always out-numbered never out-gunned! :guntoting: I found your info extremely interesting (in particular the point re LR coverage ! yet nobody there would have advised against african travel by means of LR based on dealership coverage :rolleyes: )

Thanks Mate.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Gerrit Loubser
Full Name: Gerrit Loubser
Nickname: Gerrit Loubser
Home Town: Richards Bay
Current 4x4: None
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Official Nissan Coverage in Africa

Post by Gerrit Loubser »

Russ Kellermann wrote:...always out-numbered never out-gunned...
That is a great Patrol quote, Russ. Hope you don't mind, but I'm gonna steal it :wink:.
Gerrit Loubser

2003 Land Cruiser 100 VX TD
1999 Patrol 4.5E GRX M/T ("Imvubu") - GONE; Go well Old Girl :-(
2003 Pajero 3.2 DiD LWB A/T - GONE; One of the best cars I ever had :-(
1996 Land Cruiser 80 VX 4.5 EFI A/T - SOLD
SRXy
Full Name: Wes
Nickname: the Knob...
Home Town: Slaapstad
Current 4x4: TD42T Patrol "The Wee Beasty", 373,000km's

Umm....this is a Patrol forum isn't it?
Home Language: engles

Re: Official Coverage in Africa: Nissan vs Toyota vs Others?

Post by SRXy »

In east Africa, Patrols seem to outnumber Land Cruisers.....all shapes and ages are available, because they are brought in via the 2nd-hand Japanese importers. I always get bleak when I go there because there are so many BRAND NEW 4.2D SUV patrols bombing around.....I really need to organise a stint in our Tanz office so I can buy one and bring it back as my personal vehicle.... :biggrin:
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

Desiderius Erasmus: circa 1510

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”