HELP!!! Which Patrol to get?!!!

Can't find a category above, then post here
BertJan
Full Name: AJ Deysel
Nickname: AJ
Home Town: South Africa
Current 4x4: 95 Patrol GQ SWB TD42t (160kw on the rear wheels, thanks Michael) - Play toy
85 Land Cruiser BJ73 SWB - Sunday Drive
14 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Rubicon 3.6 V6 Auto on 37s - Daily Driver
19 Ford Everest Limited 3.2 4x4 Auto - School Bus
Home Language: Afrikaans

HELP!!! Which Patrol to get?!!!

Post by BertJan »

Hi Guys

I have been looking for a Patrol for a while now(selling my Cruiser 79). I always wanted a 4.2 Diesel GU, but one of my other dream vehicles is a GQ SWB with a 4.2D engine, but these are very scarce here and I would never drive a LHD so I forgot about this.

Well now suddenly, I find a 1999 Patrol GU 4.2D for sale, which I would buy in no time, but then I got hold of a guy who also has a imported 1991 model Patrol GQ with a original TD42 engine with even fewer k's on it, and best of all it's LHD. What do I do now? Which one should I go for.

I like the look of the SWB GQ, but it is a little less comfortable and practical than the GU. The GQ also costs about 30k less, the only drawback of the GQ is that it does not have a service book, but I have checked it out and it semms well looked after.

Any recommendations?
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: HELP!!! Which Patrol to get?!!!

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Definitely go for the GU. although depends on how many km on the odo. I personally htink you can get better value from the format and capacity of the GU and, your resale will be much higher.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
BertJan
Current 4x4: 95 Patrol GQ SWB TD42t (160kw on the rear wheels, thanks Michael) - Play toy

Post by BertJan »

The GU has 240 k on the odo and the GQ has 236 k on it.

Is this still fine, as I would like to put a Turbo, Intercooler and 3inch exhaust on it as soon as I get it, or is this mileage a little high for that?

I have read of people that have put turbos on their TD42s and run them well in the 300 or 400k mark.
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol

Post by Stefan »

:lol: No-one said life was easy
Ross
Full Name: Ross Holland
Nickname: Ross
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: 1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
aka "The Polar Bear"

Post by Ross »

BertJan wrote:The GU has 240 k on the odo and the GQ has 236 k on it.

Is this still fine, as I would like to put a Turbo, Intercooler and 3inch exhaust on it as soon as I get it, or is this mileage a little high for that?

I have read of people that have put turbos on their TD42s and run them well in the 300 or 400k mark.

As long as its been well maintained, 240k is nothing for a TD42. There are guys on the Aussie site who have fitted turbos at 350k without issues....there are also guys on the Aussie site with over 600k on their TD42s. Maintenance is key though.... a TD42 can do big mileage, but as tough as they are they will suffer if not maintained, or if abused.

For my money, if the GU with 240k on the clock is in as good a condition as the picture suggests and has a verifiable service history then thats the way I would go!

My 2c
Ross

1998 GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel: 2" OME, 33" Big Horns, 2x LR Tanks, Safari Snorkel, Dual Battery, Drawer System, etc etc
aka "The Polar Bear"
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

i agree with all the above statements.

there is no difference ITO milage, so go for the one with the service records and then decide if you willing to buy it in the condition he's selling it in.simple.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

How big yr famly? What yr gonna use it for? Just to 4x4 or familuy vehicle or is you alone or just yu & wify? How faaaaar yu gonna go on trips? is the SWB big enough fr yr needs on the long run?
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
G-MAN
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: A.G.HOLMES
Nickname: G-MAN
Home Town: Cape Town, Noordhoek
Current 4x4: PATROL 4.8 GRX 2008, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2007, PATROL 4.8 GRX 2006, Defender 90 2.8i...
Home Language: Engels

Post by G-MAN »

:think: I say go for the 4.8 and spend all your money on fuel..! :wink:
Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!
BertJan

Post by BertJan »

Wel my family only consists of me and my newly married wife, but we do often take friends along wherever we go. I will use it as a daily and as a long distance tourer. I like to leave a few things(fridge, sleeping bag, jacket, 2 camping chairs, etc.) in my fourby on a permanent basis, so based on all this it is probably advisable I go for the GU, and I think I will then, but man, there are few things sexier than a properly set-up GQ SWB, maybe later when I can afford a second vehicle just for fun.

G-Man, wish I could go for a beast 4.8, but I have taken the step a long time ago to be a Diesel man for life, the fact that I run a Truck Stop only selling diesel and I get my diesel pratically for free also probably has something to do with this...hehe.

Guys, is there anyone in the Cape that can go and have a proper look at this vehicle for me: http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Ve ... Z218505599

I want to buy it, but just want to make sure of it's condition(rust, interior, service history, etc.) before I make the purchase, and hopefully finally be able to pee with all you big dogs.

Man I cant wait to have a patrol, I love my cruiser but it now is def. time for a little something else.

Return to “15. Other Patrol Stuff”