TiaanKotze
Full Name: Tiaan Kotze
Nickname: tiaan.eafw
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Tyre choices!!

Post by TiaanKotze »

Hi All. I am quite new to the 4X4 community. I bought Alex's Patrol towards the end of last year. I want to replace the tyres as I have picked up cut (on a Kumho) and the fix is 1. not so safe 2. Tyres needs replacement anyway. The big question, what tyre to get. I am looking at the Cooper STT's but there are always the BFG's and I noticed GT Radial Adventures. I will be doing more overlanding than hard core 4x4 trails, but there will be some 4x4 trails. I have read about the BFG's and Cooper and between these two I probably lean towards the Coopers. Have anyone had experience with the GT Radial Adventures? The net is scarce on reviews. Thanks
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Re: Tyre choices!!

Post by Tinus lotz »

Big thing is strong sidewalls ....bf km2or new km3 for muddies cooper stmax or st pro for muddies you have 16 inch mags on that one so biggest i will go is 285 75 16
And not a lot smaller also
The fong kong tyers are much cheaper speak to antony he has a set on his car he did break a sidewall on one .
A lot of guys like the kumos but being directional that is a big no no for me
1 strong side walls
2 price
If that makes any sense to you :wink:
I got about 95000 on my 4.8 on a set of bf tyers
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Have a look at your Maxi's 674 or Bighorn ..brillant traction and mileage .. :thumbup: :thumbup:
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

TiaanKotze wrote: 08 Mar 2018 11:20 Hi All. I am quite new to the 4X4 community. I bought Alex's Patrol towards the end of last year. I want to replace the tyres as I have picked up cut (on a Kumho) and the fix is 1. not so safe 2. Tyres needs replacement anyway. The big question, what tyre to get. I am looking at the Cooper STT's but there are always the BFG's and I noticed GT Radial Adventures. I will be doing more overlanding than hard core 4x4 trails, but there will be some 4x4 trails. I have read about the BFG's and Cooper and between these two I probably lean towards the Coopers. Have anyone had experience with the GT Radial Adventures? The net is scarce on reviews. Thanks
:welcomewave:

You can also consider the Cooper AT3 (the LT rated one).
Or Cooper ST Maxx.
The AT3's will give better mileage.
Wilkie wrote: 08 Mar 2018 12:26 Have a look at your Maxi's 674 or Bighorn ..brillant traction and mileage .. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not so sure about the mileage part though... :think:
http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=797
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
XenoBlitz
Full Name: Wilhelm van Rooyen
Nickname: Wilhelm
Home Town: Secunda
Current 4x4: The 4.5 Turbo
SWAMBO - 2007 Jimny

Post by XenoBlitz »

Personally, I use BFG AT KM2. Best for all conditions. Size: 285 75 16
There are a lot of good tires to choose from so you really can't go wrong with either of your two choices.... but I love my BFG's. Previous set gave me over 120 000km (had to replace because of age not tread) and I have never had a sidewall cut, lack of traction or other serious issues. It does see some minor "chips" and cuts if you drive rocky terrain but no problems.

If you have a specific reason to go for another tire, or you drive mud often then you can consider another tire or the BGF mud terrain (they also look really good), but if you are looking for an all-round performer, you simply cannot go wrong with BFG.

Cheers!
May the road be long.. and dirty.
The 4.5 Turbo
Rhett
Full Name: Rhett van der Stelt
Nickname: Rhett
Home Town: Heidelberg
Current 4x4: 3.2Did Shorty Pajero
Home Language: English

Post by Rhett »

XenoBlitz wrote: 08 Mar 2018 13:03 Personally, I use BFG AT KM2. Best for all conditions. Size: 285 75 16
There are a lot of good tires to choose from so you really can't go wrong with either of your two choices.... but I love my BFG's. Previous set gave me over 120 000km (had to replace because of age not tread) and I have never had a sidewall cut, lack of traction or other serious issues. It does see some minor "chips" and cuts if you drive rocky terrain but no problems.

If you have a specific reason to go for another tire, or you drive mud often then you can consider another tire or the BGF mud terrain (they also look really good), but if you are looking for an all-round performer, you simply cannot go wrong with BFG.

Cheers!
Absolutely agree, fantastic tyre matched only by the Cooper's as far as an A/T goes. If it's for overlanding mainly, great choice :thumbup:
Rhett
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e98c ... XUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45
TiaanKotze
Full Name: Tiaan Kotze
Nickname: tiaan.eafw
Home Town: Cape Town
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol

Post by TiaanKotze »

Thanks to all, I think I am going to settle for the Coopers. I am going to look at these tyres for a long time (hopefully) and they must look good too!
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

XenoBlitz wrote: 08 Mar 2018 13:03 Personally, I use BFG AT KM2. Best for all conditions. Size: 285 75 16
Cheers!
I found a second hand set of km2' s(285/75r16)..., fitted them today...
From the good reports wrt to mileage give by bfg, i though it might be a good choice for a "used tyre" to purchase.
Paid 5k for the four. Will post some pics tomorrow.
They have worked, got some chips, two plugs between the four, etc. but the thread should last for another 20-30k... (based on the mileage the guys gets on km2's)
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”