Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Dunlop MT

Post by biggles »

Geodkoop is duur koop...

Maybe work to getting two sets of tyres and wheels. This works well for me. although the set of circumstances meant it was not much more cost wise. I had muds that were on thier last legs (close to unroadworthy) with a new bought vehicle and need new reliable tyres. So found a set of steel rims and had the old Muds put on those rims and the new tyres were the everyday tyres and the muds went on the steel rims. Those muds have now lasted me 4 years past what would have been their useful life.

I have the ATs on the other rims and it is a PITA to change but for example the Muds are on now but as I feel a botswana trip coming on when I have some spare time I will swop out the mud tyres in the next month or so.

I also save as the ATs are smaller diameter and use less petrol.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Ek het ProComp Extreme A/T op my GQ het al oor die 60K gedoen en hul is goed seker vir nog ten minste 20 -30K , het selde band ook op my trailer

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

Dis n FACEBOOK Advertensie wat Martin gereeld plaas:

‎Martin Oosthuizen‎ to 4X4 & BAKKIE ACCESSORIES SOUTH AFRICA
6 December 2017 ·
New Tyres most sizes
R1
Pretoria, South Africa
NEW TYRE SALES - SAFETY FIRST.

MUD TERRAINS, AL TERRAINS, PASSENGERS, TRUCKS OR TRACTORS
LT 285/75R16 M/T PRACTICALMAX R 1990.00 ex vat
225/45ZR17 SPORTMAX R 800.00 ex vat...
Tyres 2.jpg
Tyres 2.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
Tyres 1.jpg
Tyres 1.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Kagiso II wrote: 09 Jan 2018 11:36 Dis n FACEBOOK Advertensie wat Martin gereeld plaas:

‎Martin Oosthuizen‎ to 4X4 & BAKKIE ACCESSORIES SOUTH AFRICA
6 December 2017 ·
New Tyres most sizes
R1
Pretoria, South Africa
NEW TYRE SALES - SAFETY FIRST.

MUD TERRAINS, AL TERRAINS, PASSENGERS, TRUCKS OR TRACTORS
LT 285/75R16 M/T PRACTICALMAX R 1990.00 ex vat
225/45ZR17 SPORTMAX R 800.00 ex vat...

Tyres 2.jpg

Tyres 1.jpg
It's the first I have heard of them but they look like they are gaining traction ( :rolleyes: ) on the 4x4community forum.
Apocolypse of 4x4community is serious offroader and swears by them:
Off Topic
yup.

very happy with them - very very good in fact.

I'd rate them over some of the far more expensive makes. Good road traction, good wet weather performance, very good on dirt , deep water and mud .

So far they seem to be wearing well too.

the only catch is that the sidewalls seem softer than heavier muds - but it hasn't been an issue to date.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

biggles wrote: 09 Jan 2018 13:30
It's the first I have heard of them but they look like they are gaining traction ( :rolleyes: ) on the 4x4community forum.
Apocolypse of 4x4community is serious offroader and swears by them:
Off Topic
yup.

very happy with them - very very good in fact.

I'd rate them over some of the far more expensive makes. Good road traction, good wet weather performance, very good on dirt , deep water and mud .

So far they seem to be wearing well too.

the only catch is that the sidewalls seem softer than heavier muds - but it hasn't been an issue to date.
Anthony got a set, he has had many punctures and lost a sidewall on the river trip (goedkoop is duurkoop :lol: )....and they not available in a 255/85r16... :oldtimer:
Anthony Forgey;3760565 wrote:I've had the powertrac MT's for 7500km or so now.

they have very good grip both on and off road.

I've had a lot of thorn punctures though. They are like thorn magnets. I think I'm on at 10 punctures or so, all in the bush. Plugged with snotty's and carry on. The one tyre with the torn sidewall from the river trip has been repaired by a vulcanizing place and is the spare at the moment.
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

biggles wrote: 09 Jan 2018 07:37 Geodkoop is duur koop...

Maybe work to getting two sets of tyres and wheels. This works well for me. although the set of circumstances meant it was not much more cost wise. I had muds that were on thier last legs (close to unroadworthy) with a new bought vehicle and need new reliable tyres. So found a set of steel rims and had the old Muds put on those rims and the new tyres were the everyday tyres and the muds went on the steel rims. Those muds have now lasted me 4 years past what would have been their useful life.

I have the ATs on the other rims and it is a PITA to change but for example the Muds are on now but as I feel a botswana trip coming on when I have some spare time I will swop out the mud tyres in the next month or so.

I don't understand how this helps. I am struggling to wear out one set of tyres in the 4 years one has before they become dangerously brittle, now I have to wear out two sets?

Also, it's typically on overlanding trips where I really want the traction. The trails around here don't have much mud, and I tend to avoid mud-holes where possible anyway.

So te re-cap all my issues, i want a set of tyres of as near as possible to 33" diameter but no wider than 10.5", which fit on 15 or 16" rims, with a brand name I know and have not had any really bad experiences with, so that I will have confidence to use them at speed with my family in the car, that will ideally wear out around about the time they are so old that I need to turf them, and finally that are as cheap as possible.

As I said before, life is tough if you're full of s@€t...
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Peter,

Your Ideal Mud
Size 255/85R16 Load Index ? Speed rating Q Height 839.9mm Width 255mm (10.0") Rim width 8.0"

Bridgestone Dueler D673
Size 285/75R16 Load Index 122 Speed rating Q Height 840mm Width 289mm (11.4") Rim width 8.0 - 9.0"

Other Muds
Size 265/80 R16 Load Index ? Speed Rating Q Height 830.4mm Width 265 (10.4") Rim width 8.8

22 tyres to choose from in 285/75 x 16 at https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyres

Locally made Dueler D673s also come in 33 12.5 x 15 and 32 11,5 x 15

A final option is to go to 17 inch rims and Firestone Destinations
Size 285/70R17 Load Index 122 Speed rating Q Height 832mm Width 294mm (11.5") Rim width 8.5"
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

"in the 4 years one has before they become dangerously brittle"

Not quite correct!

Manufacturers specify the life of a tyre from 5 to 6 years at optimum design values. If however, you use a tyre at 25% below its design speed rating, no more than 3.3 or 3.5 Bar pressure and 25% below its design load index, it should be safe for another 2 years. The 5 - 6 year old "limit" is typically 25 t0 40% over-engineering coming into play to prevent lawsuits from extreme use conditions. You know how the American consumers love lawsuits......

Speed rating means that the tyre is designed to be run at full design load, at its maximum rated speed for one hour, without any degradation or damage taking place. I am not sure how the Load Index is specified; it may mean at max design load and max speed for one hour.

Typical 265 /70 x 16 tyres:
Load index 122 = 1500kg
Speed rating Q - 160kph
Max pressure (varies from 2.8 bar to 3.8 bar, depending on tyre design, see your tyre sidewall)

So if you travel at 120 kph, 3.2 bar pressure and a GVM of 4.5 tons (1.125 ton per tyre) your tyre should not disintegrate even at 7 or even 7.5 years old!!

Remember, a tyre's strength is not really in the rubber outer layer(the part that gets brittle with age), but in the layers of nylon/rayon/steel and the layers of rubber bonding these nylon/rayon/steel layers. The rubber of these inner layers is not exposed to the same oxidation levels as the outer layer where you can actually see the aging taking place.

Have you ever noticed how new and fresh the inside of even a 10 year old tyre looks, and how soft and pliable this rubber still feels, when they get removed from the rims?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Malcolm, some interesting info there.

One issue I have (as already mentioned earlier in this thread) is that every time I have bought tires for this car so far, they have already been more than a year old, and all three sets of tyres I have had on this car including the set it came on) have needed to be replaced due to the tires becoming brittle, not because I have worn them out. This is why I have reduced the life time expectancy.

Towards the end of their lives, I start getting bigger blocks ripping off (making them impossible to balance), more and more punctures and on the last Bridgestone that failed, there was a patch of around 5cm diameter that, after a puncture repair, formed a lump from the inside, which then wore right through untill the tire failed.

You can read about my experience with the D673's here: http://patrol4x4.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7367

So yes, there are a range of tires available that fit the criteria I have set. Of those, the Dunlop MT2 are by far the cheapest, and if they last any more than probably 50k km, they will also work out to have the lowest cost per km.

The intention of this thread was just to determine whether there are any inherent problems with this tyre.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by biggles »

Peter Connan wrote: 09 Jan 2018 18:11
biggles wrote: 09 Jan 2018 07:37 Geodkoop is duur koop...

I don't understand how this helps. I am struggling to wear out one set of tyres in the 4 years one has before they become dangerously brittle, now I have to wear out two sets?

Also, it's typically on overlanding trips where I really want the traction. The trails around here don't have much mud, and I tend to avoid mud-holes where possible anyway.

So te re-cap all my issues, i want a set of tyres of as near as possible to 33" diameter but no wider than 10.5", which fit on 15 or 16" rims, with a brand name I know and have not had any really bad experiences with, so that I will have confidence to use them at speed with my family in the car, that will ideally wear out around about the time they are so old that I need to turf them, and finally that are as cheap as possible.

As I said before, life is tough if you're full of s@€t...
Sorry I did not realise you were under the impression that all tyres expire at 4 years. I work on at least a decade for properly stored tyres (indoors). So what I am saying is get good muds and store them when you are not using them. Get road tyres for all the other times. This way:
When you turf the cheap road tyres after 4 years you will not cry. Road tyres will also not deteriorate the way a mud will that is used continuously. Infact a good road biased tyre will easily do more than 4 years (based on proper garaging) if it stands outside I am not so sure).
You will always have a good set of muds.
Cheaper in the long run.

P.S My STTs are close to a decade old. I now have left them on the car as I want to upgrade to the pros.

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”