Full Name: Aldo Verwey
Nickname: Aldo
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: LX570
Home Language: Afrikaans

AT Tyres on 20" rims

Post by Aldo »

Hi all

In the coming couple of months, I'll have to replace tyres on my vehicle. I'm currently running on the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek PT2A tyres. Even though I do 90% of my driving on tar roads, I would prefer fitting AT tyres mainly because AT tyres, in general, are stronger and are less prone to damage due to potholes. AT tyres will also be better for my once a year trips where I'll do some offroading, mainly on dirt roads and sand. At this stage I dont think I'll be doing any driving in mud.

The OEM tyre size is 285/50 R20. This is a horrible size tyre because there are only a few options to choose from, and all of those are very expensive. I'd like to go to 275/55 R20. These are only slightly larger so I don't think I'll have wheel arch problems or 'gearing up' problems. The 275 size is a more common size and I also like the idea of having a slightly larger sidewall. I know there are many threads on the forum regarding tyres, but the reason for writing this post is to get opinions from the members specifically on 20" tyres. I've done some research on this, and it seems like tyre wear on the larger, and lower profile, tyres is much more than for instance 285mm tyres on 16" rims.

The current Dunlop tyres are fantastic on the tar, but they will probably not last more than 50k kms, and they are not great on dirt roads. I'm currently looking at the following tyres:

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (LT version). These get great reviews. That nice post of JohnBoy a couple of years back confirms.
Cooper Zeon LTX
Hankook Dynapro. Only problem is that the Hankook thread guarantee is only for tyres up to 18"

Currently, my first choice would be Yokohama GEOLANDAR G015 A/T. These are well priced and I couldn't find any bad reviews on them.

Just a note... I've seem a couple of reviews on both those Cooper tyres complaining about bad side wall wear. Have you guys had similar experiences?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Aldo
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Re: AT Tyres on 20" rims

Post by Peter Connan »

Off at a tangent, as usual:

Gettting the rim further from the road will make far more difference to reducing tire damage, especially from potholes and rocks, than any change in construction between road and A/T tires.

Furthermore, smaĺler higher-profile tires are considerably cheaper in most cases.

Can you not fit smaller rims around the brake callipers?
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Aldo
Full Name: Aldo Verwey
Nickname: Aldo
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: LX570

Post by Aldo »

Thanks Peter

You are 100% correct. The previous version model of the car came with 19" rims. I have considered going to 19", but that would be a R50k exercise for a set of 5 rims and tyres. The 'money no consideration' option would be to have a set of BFG muds on 19" and then stick with the Dunlops on the 20" rims for town driving. Unfortunately, this will just be too much of an expense.
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland
Current 4x4: Pathfinder
GQ Patrol
Home Language: AFR

Post by Jules »

Hi Aldo

Een van die Patrol forum manne was nou onlangs in Botswana/Namibie en sy Coopers het erge probleme gegee tov van sidewalls, sal kyk of ek die tread kan kry , dalk kan iemand vinniger daarop afkom of onthou wie die comments gemaak het

Shalom
Walk by FAITH not by sight
2014 Pathfinder 2.5 LE
Stofpad 4x4 Bashplate
42&60L Snomaster Freezer/Fridge
Buzzard Industries Overlander Trailer
Jules
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Julius
Nickname: Jules
Home Town: Rietjiesvlei, Zoeloeland