AT Tyre Test

What AT tyres do you rate, through experience?

BFG
38%
Mickey Thompson
3%
Michelin
3%
Bridgestone Dueler
17%
Cooper
17%
Kumho
6%
Dunlop Grandtrek
1%
Goodyear Wrangler
4%
Pirelli Scorpion
5%
Other
4%

Total votes: 115

Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Re: AT Tyre Test

Post by Saltman »

What I found was on the open road - tar - the BF's A/T's on the Pajero give you a very bumpy ride even with the pressure at 1,7 bar. The Patrol with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's has a much smoother ride - even at 2,4 bar!
Yes Herrie, I have also found that the Duelers give a VERY smooth ride - so smooth that on tar I have to tap off so that the wheels can stop spinning.
The dueler H/T is definitely not on my preferred list! Not sure how big the difference is between the H/T and your A/T's.

If you drive the BFG A/T's at the correct pressure and they have not worn badly due to wheel alignment problems, the BFG's are actually very comfortable.
Well, that's been my experience on the coil sprung Range Rover and the leaf sprung Toyota Hilux! Got seven years and 80 000 km on the Rangie and D-4D respectively.

I suspect that the suspensions also play a big role. Both the Rangie and D-4D had OME suspensions, which combined with the BFG's gave a very respectable on road ride and great offroad ride!
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
Ian Abrahamson

Post by Ian Abrahamson »

Is there a limited lifespan on a tyre. Eg tyre in good condition on vehicle for 7 years. I am sure the tyre even with good tread left has a perish problem after a certain time. Maybe the BFG has lifetime warranty.
OFFROAD ADDICT
dedicated to offroad lifestyle

NOTHINGS IMPOSSIBLE, IT JUST COSTS MORE
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

laat dit npou WEER vir my 'n les wees ... again I learn not to be biased ... I am pleasantly surprised by the results of the Khumo tyres ... Nect time I go shopping they will be on the "compare" list right next to teh Dueller 694's .
Note the BFG well below [and it showed signs of chipping ... and the Duellers not ... interesting]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Saltman
Full Name: Herbie Hellstrom
Nickname: Saltman
Home Town: Durbanville, Western Cape
Current 4x4: Land Rover Discovery Series 3 TDV6 Auto
Land Rover Discovery Series 1 Tdi.
Land Rover Discovery Series II Td5
Home Language: Afrikaans / English / German

Post by Saltman »

Hi Ian

Yes there is a lifespan on the tyres, hence my statement - I had to chuck them away, although there was still some tread left.
The reason: flaps of tyre material started undoing themselves from the inside of the tyre, indicating that the material had lost its flexibility!
I suspect that the start of the separation was due to some rough offroad work, including some deep donga bashing, that may have pinched the sidewall.

Oom Mac, I also like the Khumo and I have friends that swear by the Kl71. However I am not sure that I like the Q speed rating, indicating a max speed of 160 km/h.
While that may be fine for the oil burners, the 4.8 petrol version is rated at 190 km/h, requiring a tyre with a speed rating of at least a T.

The search carries on ...
Saltman:
One foot in Land Rover land and one foot in Patrol land and the sensitive bits are hanging in the salty sea in between!
Wynvat
Full Name: Gerhard van Rhyn
Nickname: Wynvat
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8 GRX Y61 GU(4)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Wynvat »

My BFG AT's het nou 65 000km op. Lyk of ek maar moet begin begroot vir 'n stel nuwes. Hulle sal seker nog reg wees vir so 5-10k km. Maar ek is baie gelukkig met hulle. Moet se ek moes gistermiddag teen omtrent 40km/h effe hard rem op 'n nat teerpad. Daai ABS het oortyd gewerk, daar was minder grip as wat ek gewoond is. :surprised: Amper of daar diesel op die pad was. Vat nie 'n kans met bande nie.
2007 Patrol 4.8 GRX Tiptronic Y61/GU(4)
Africa does not break a Patrol. A Patrol breaks Africa.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello All

Being of limited experience, I do not yet feel myself qualified to recommend a particular make or model, but what I can say is the following:
I will never ever in my life buy All Country Radial LXT's. When I got my 'trol, it had these abominations on. I had six punctures in two months, mostly on tar roads. I discovered that the casings were seperating on the join lines on the inside, and these seperations were chewing their way through the tubes.
I then replaced the tires with the BF A/T's I have now and then discovered why tubes had been used before: most of the rims were fatigue-cracked just where the web is welded on, so I changed to Alloys (the Smith's white wheels have too much offset, so these large tires foul when turning).

Partykeer moet mens skoolfonds betaal op onverwagte geleenthede ne?
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=67857

I KNOW it is bit off topic - but just peek in at this absurdity -- Toyta claiming that radial tyres cannot be fitted to the 2010 L/C bakkie - only cross ply.
I bet you lots that th ePatrol bakkie doe snot have that "sickness" ???

Mr Connan - next time, get Duellers :wink:
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Hello Oom Mac
You may be right, but at Hennops off road trial there is a particular shingly hill (after the donga lapa but immediately before the water crossing you turn right up the hill) where my patrol, my buddies Tinus and Pierre (patrols) and my dad's Hilux all walk up but another friend's prado won't go up for love or money. All the above cars have BF's except the Prado, which has Duellers. I am not a huge cruiser fan, but if the bakkie can, surely the cruiser should too? :wink:

I think the reason the L/C bakkie can only use cross-plies is because the suspension is so hard it would burst radial tyres :rolling:
Peter
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Mammoth
Full Name: Johan Botha
Nickname: JB
Home Town: Roodepoort
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5GRX

Post by Mammoth »

I have been driving with Kumho A/T on my Patrol and previous 2 4x4;s. So far I am very impressed with both the performance and the durability. I currently run on 285/75/16. When I was first advised to go for Kumho's I must admit that I was very scheptical until I saw the performance. The best of all..........5 x tyres = R7400.00 all included!
JB

(Mammoth)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Also a tyre to look at Procomp Extreme AT
http://www.procomp.com.au/Default.asp?M ... C_TYRE_XAT

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”