Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Who rides on Kumho tyres ?

Post by ricster »

I would like to gather a little info.... As most people know I ride my Iron Maiden on Kumho KL71's. There are some guys that don't like the Kumho, and some that can't stop raving about these tyres. I'm with the raving side of this topic. These tyres have done things that some brands have done, and in some instances.... even better.

But this thread is NOT about brand bashing. This thread is a little project I'm working on. I would like to hear your stories about Kumho, I want to hear the good and the bad. I want to know how do you think YOUR tyres perform on road, in the wet, in the mud, and on the rocks.

I had meeting with them today to discuss assistance with events (which is my job within the Nissan 4x4 club) and they have shown commitment, that they would like to be involved and assist us. The finer details, myself and Kumho will have to draw up plans and see where they can assist us and how we can assist them. They recall the Nissan 4x4 Club from the Kumho fun day that we attended a while back, and were impressed with our mannerisms and festive spirit. So well done Nissan 4x4 Club !!!

I believe that there will be GREAT reward for the Nissan Club Members. I also want to hear from you guys in the Cape and from Natal, and the Free states.... infact if you ride on these tyres anywhere in the country, please let me know your thoughts

Thanks guys
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Who rides on Kumho tyres ?

Post by Tinus lotz »

Cedric
I cant give u any opinion becouse I never owned a set ...for me is km2 becouse of the strong sidewalls and sticking in the wet on tar I get 12000 km per set but will like to know more about the ones u love ...
mabe we all stick to what we are used to????
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

That's why I want to hear from the guys that are using Kumho's, in particular, the KL71's
Regards
Cedric
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8

Post by Clem »

Use them on an E Type Series 1 roadster. Great tyres. Really good.
andredurand
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: andre durand
Nickname: leeuloop
Home Town: Alberton
Current 4x4: PATHFINDER
Home Language: afr

Post by andredurand »

Cedric jy weet wat ek van Kumo s Kl 71 dink Dit tel onder die beste :thumbup: :salute: :salute: :salute: :woo: :woo: :biggrin:
Andre Durand
Nissan Hardbody 3.3 sold
Nissan patrol 4.5 sold
Nissan parthfinder 2,5 sold
Nissan navara 4l v6 4x4
DawidT
Full Name: Dawid Taljaard
Nickname: Dawid
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: 2010 Nissan Patrol 4800 GRX,
Nissan Patrol 4.2l GQ
Volkswagen Caravelle 4 Motion
2018 Toyota Landcruiser V8 DC

Post by DawidT »

Quote from Tinus: "...... in the wet on tar I get 12000 km per set but will like to know more....."
Eish Tinus, dit is darem min Km vir n stel bande..... :rolling:

I am on Coopers, but my one friend has a set 35" tyres on his Hummer and swear by them.
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Askies dit moet 120000 wees lol :rolling: :blonde:
Tinus lotz

Post by Tinus lotz »

Cedric what are the technical specks on those takkies?
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

I've had 2 sets of KL71's before, 1st set gave me 75 000km and were unbelievable off road, and on road, no worries, however they got a little slippy on-road in the last 10 000km of their life. i sold the vehicle with the second set on.

Currently i have BFG KM2's on and im now on 85 000km and prob got another 15 000km-20 000km left in them, maybe even more. Best in the wet,dry, and very good off-road on most surfaces. I will keep buying KM2's now, but i will look back fondly on the KL71's.

The only thing that irritated me about the KL71's in the Directional pattern which doesn;t limit you, but it makes rotation a pain in the arse as you have to also swap rims etc , (however, there is no white writing on the sides so it doesnlt look odd if you flip rims and tyres)
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

Technical specs.... F A...... Frigging Amazing.... :rolling: .... I'm not sure, but the KL71's won awards in 2008 and 2009, and do look good too.

I've heard that some guys say the sidewalls are not as robust as other brands. Probably, but I've done some wicked shhhhhh...stuff with mine, slideing off rocks on the sidewall and no problems. I'm sure that if you do something silly with any tyre you are going to get a sidewall cut...

KUMHO JOINT WINNER OF 4x4 MAGAZINE’S ULTIMATE MT TYRE TEST
11 June 2008
The Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 was the joint winner of 4x4 Magazine’s ‘ultimate tyre test’ to establish the best mud-terrain tyre on the UK market. It shared top honours with a BFGoodrich, beating offerings from Goodyear, Wildcat, Maxxis, Cooper, INSA and Pirelli by a significant margin. All eight makes of 235/85 R16 tyres were subjected to six challenging, real-world tests, ie – mud climb, bog run, side slope, rock crawl, gravel and tarmac braking. One vehicle was involved – a 2007 Land Rover Defender 110.

The magazine found the Kumho KL71 radically different in appearance from all its competitors and, in fact, to be the best looking as well as the joint best performer. The Kumho was awarded top marks on the rock crawl and gravel braking tests and performed with credit on the mud climb and bog run. In summary, the magazine said, “The Kumho MT KL71 is a great tyre and a deserving all-round winner. Give it a try.”

Said Kumho’s Managing Director Steve Tidmarsh, “We are naturally delighted with the result. 4x4 Magazine’s test is very much in line with our own research and reinforces the confidence we have had in the KL71 from the outset. I can also reveal that the new 18in rally raid tyre we have developed for the Bowler Nemesis is based on the KL71 and that is surely the ultimate test for an MT tyre.”

The Road Venture MT KL71 is Kumho's Off-Road Maximum Traction light truck tire developed for the drivers of 4x4 jeeps, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles looking for aggressive off-road performance and assertive on-road appearance. The Road Venture MT KL71 is available in large rim diameter sizes designed to be at home in mild to wild on- and off-road conditions.

The Road Venture MT KL71 features a cut- and chip-resistant tread compound molded into a directional pattern comprised of packed center blocks, alternating width shoulder lugs, mud/stone ejector bars and aggressive sidewall lugs that provide the biting edges needed to dig through mud and travel along trails, as well as claw their way through ruts and over rocks. The tire's internal structure includes two high-tensile steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon for strength and durability. A unique rubber compound under the tread and above the belts helps block out impact shock and noise to enhance ride comfort. A two-ply polyester cord body enhances ride quality while it helps provide protection from on- and off-road stresses.

While Off-Road Maximum Traction tires are branded with the M+S symbol and able to churn through deep snow, their typical oversize applications and limited use of snow-biting sipes in their large smooth lugs can challenge their on-road wintertime traction on packed snow and icy surfaces.
Regards
Cedric

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”