Sias
Full Name: Sias le Roux
Nickname: Sias
Home Town: Potchefstroom
Current 4x4: None (for now)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Black rims

Post by Sias »

I want to put black rims on my Patrol when the V8 conversion is done so it can look as mean as it sounds. The rims will the get covered in a set of 33" M/T tyres.
Any suggestions on where I can get rims like this? I was thinking maybe some plain steel rims and have them powdercoated black?
Any of you have black rims?
Please advise...
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar
Home Language: English

Re: Black rims

Post by Grant »

Hi Sias,

I tried pro white rims that I had painted black. Biggest problem was to get then balanced. I then sodl them and now have a niece set of Mickey Thompson Sidebiters on.

Regards

Grant
0845206570 :oldtimer:
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Freakazoid
Full Name: Pierre Becker
Nickname: Pierre
Home Town: Milnerton
Current 4x4: GQ

Post by Freakazoid »

I have a nice set od very recently acquired Victory Hauler wheels in 16" with zero offset. They are a bit stronger at 2200lb per wheel and come as a NASCAR approved aluminium look-alike of the famous NASCAR steel wheels. Must say, the NASCAR logo on the wheels is a bit cheesy but works for me.

Will post pics when back in SA. They guy I bought them from is trying to import some more. really sweet rim.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/wheels/nascar.html
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Sias, i have black rims.

I've had black rims on Both my Hilux's, my Isuzu and now my patrol. We recently had an entire discussion on the LC forum about this, as one of the members had the same idea you have right now. To cut a very long thread short, i'll tell you what to do...

1: Do not take Pro-White steel rims and have them Epoxy Coated or Powder Coated. I did this on my first two sets respectively.They will look great, but after a short time they will scratch, and water will enter at the seam, leaving you with another expensive round of sandblasting and professional coating, which you'll put off for as long as possible, but by that stage rust will have set in....not a good way to do it. To fix this you'll then need to take all four wheels to the booth,fir the first coat, and also to be redone months later, leaving you without a vehicle and a bunch of money....

This is What i do now. (And, hundreds of others have done likewise since), here's what to do.

1:Get yourself some Pro-Whites.
2:Get yourself some really mild sand paper, nothing hectic. Or, if you have a baby grinder and a wire brush attachment, that'll do just fine. R15
3:Get yourself 1x Rattle-can (ie:spray can) of Hammerite Plain Black / hammered Black , whichever you prefer. R100
4:Sand lightly, brush away paint dust with a paint brush and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
5:Spray thin layer of hammerite on each rim, going back to the first and repeat till you have 2-3 layers of nice coverage. (never too close or too heavy though)
6:By morning they will be rock hard and the finnish is just awesome!

Pros:

Wheel balance so easily
When they scratch you just touch up yourself right there
The finnish is great
Its Cheap as chips ... and most importantly

Hammerite is a rust inhibitor , so you not only getting the look you want but also protecting the steel from oxidisation and other nasties.

Note: I purchased 2 cans, and i thought that wasn't going to be enough. I did 5 rims, and my rear bumper top with 1 can. Other can still going strong and no touch ups yet, it hardened up really nicely!

also - do it in a dust/grit free area,no wind, as it remains tacky for a good few hours, unlike normal spray paint.

Hammerite does not require primer, so thats a bonus.

Dont sand right through the white paint, i retained mine as extra cover and protection, you really need only sand enough to give the hammerite purchase.

Good Luck.

Here's mine...
Attachments
Photo600.jpg
Photo600.jpg (701.41 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg (124.56 KiB) Viewed 3523 times
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Ian Abrahamson

Post by Ian Abrahamson »

You have given me a really good idea now.
OFFROAD ADDICT
dedicated to offroad lifestyle

NOTHINGS IMPOSSIBLE, IT JUST COSTS MORE
Maniac
Full Name: Manie Carstens
Nickname: Maniac
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: Hilux DC
F62 LC
4.5 GRX Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans / English

Post by Maniac »

I can vouch for the spraypaint idea...my hilux rims are done like that and they last
Sias

Post by Sias »

OK, sounds like a plan! Now, where do I get the pro-white rims? At any tyre/rim dealer?
And the Hammerrite?
Grant - pictures of the Side Biters? Cost?
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Pro-White rims purchased from tyre shops like speedy,twt and the like...or any 4wd Shop, or...look on gum tree for second hand etc.

Hammerrite and sandpaper purchased at builders warehouse or other decent hardware shops.

(i used the "hammered black" finnish as described on the can, and the end result is great, but you can also get the Matt Black or plain black, you choose)

Note: Brian Weber, from LC Forum, is on a farm and could not get hold of the spray so he got the liquid paint and painted it on with a brush. i am not that convinced that it'll give you the same finnish, nor be as easy to apply, yet he maintains that his came out really great!?,....but rather wait and get the rattle can
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Sias

Post by Sias »

Will hammerite stick to the standard mag rims if I sand them down? They are the standard GRX 5-spoke 17" mags...
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Sias, i dont see why they would not, .... however,... in my humble opinion, rather retain your original mag wheels in standard form, as, resale on your vehicle will be way higher with original wheels, and they are extremely expensive to replace. If you purchase your pro whites you can take them with you to your next vehicle and it would not have affected resale in terms on return on investment.In other words, black rims could end up costing you in excess of R8000 where you could rather be paying less than R2000 for the same result.

Return to “14. Rims & Tyres”