Getting a diesel with malfunctioning electrics home

weskus_surfer

Getting a diesel with malfunctioning electrics home

Post by weskus_surfer »

Hypothetical scenario:

Miles from home in a 4.2diesel Y60. Your electrics are shot. How feasible is it to get home by:

1. Connecting positive of battery directly to injector pump?

2. Connecting positive of battery with a jumper cable to the starter motor?
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
tour de frans
Patrolman
Patrolman

Re: Getting a diesel with malfunctioning electrics home

Post by tour de frans »

To get home by doing that,nothing wrong with it.Fitting a fli-wire to the pump from the battery's possetive will work,but to turn the enjine off you have to remove the wire.To fit the jumper from the battery to the starter is fine to,you will give the altinator power aswell.The body is the earth as long as the earth wire from the battery is a good connection to the chassis and enjine.There is a 6mm wire on the positive terminal that share the starter/altinater wire,that is the power to the cab,dashbord an so on.
I think those a the last thing that can go wrong on a 4.2.Not much wireing.The subtank has more wireing than the enjin loom,it has it own controler/ecu.
The enjine do not have a ecu only a pump.
Hope it help
Rdgs
Frans
Gu y61 wagon- 6.0L chevy
Gu y61 pickup- 6.2L chevy

Tour de frans - het niks met n bicycle uit te waai nie.
weskus_surfer

Post by weskus_surfer »

Thanks Frans :thumbup:

Nice to know for future reference...
GQ Patrol, 4.2D
weskus_surfer

Post by weskus_surfer »

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, as it's a problem I've experienced directly related to my original post.

It happened to me this morning, glowplugs warm-up, starter swings but the patrol doesn't start-up.

After a couple of attempts, I realise the injector pump is not opening-up to allow fuel. It's the in-line pump which has a lever mechanism as the fuel cut-off mechanism. As indicated in the red square in this picture

http://www.patrol4x4.co.za/gallery/imag ... age_id=944

When I turn the ignition key to 'On', the rod shown by the red arrow, 'usually' pushes the mechanism into position but not this morning.

I couldn't do much this morning since it was dark but I checked the following:

1. Engine control fuse in fuse panel by driver's footwell
2. Fusible links in engine bay
3. No obvious loose wires in the engine bay.

When I get home I'll check the power supply to the control unit at the bottom of the rod. My gut feel is corroded wire in the loom or a corroded connection/terminal.

If I can't find the fault, I was thinking of setting the mechanism in the 'run' position and then taking it to get looked at. Has any else manually set the control unit to the correct position? Is this a bad idea?
GQ Patrol, 4.2D

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”