Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Airbag light reset prosedure

Post by Michael »

Gents

The other day I had a Patrol with a flashing airbag light. I do not have a diagnostic to reset it, but found this prosedure on the net that worked like a charm.
Tested it on Anthony's Patrol and worked for his as well, so it workes for GU 4.5 and 4.2D
So if anyone has this problem, try the following

1) Open the driver's side door.
2) Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start the vehicle)
3) Within 7 seconds of turning the key to ON, push the driver's side door switch button at least 5 times. (This is the little switch that puts on your interior light whe you open the door........ yes that one)
4) The Air Bag light should go solid...give it at least 7 seconds, and it should begin to blink a 3 second, 2 second on/off pattern.
5) Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
6) Start vehicle, and wait for the Air Bag light to turn off to verify that it worked.
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Michael

Re: Airbag light reset prosedure

Post by Michael »

If you need to reset the airbag light on your GU 4.8 facelift (not sure if preface is the same) then do as follow

1. Get inside the car and with driver door closed switch on the ignition. The airbag light will be illumenated.
2. As soon as the light goes out to start the error blinking you turn off the ignition.
3. Switch the ignition on again and repeat prosedure 2 another 3 times. You need to do this a total of 4 times.
4. Once done, remove the key, insert it again and start the vehicle.
5. Airbag light should be reset now.

Youtube link of the prosedure done on a 350z, but it works the same on the Patrol.

I have tested this on my friends 4.8 which had an airbag light burning...... works for sure.

Anthony Forgey
Full Name: Anthony Forgey
Nickname: Anthony
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: 98 4.2D (turbo'd)
Home Language: English

Post by Anthony Forgey »

true story

I tried to reset mine using every procedure on the interwebs. Who would have thought that they meant the little switch that operates the interior light. Mine is finally fixed :blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :blonde: :blonde:
Intelligence is measured in smarts, stature is measured in hearts
mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Hi Michael,

Do you know if there is a way to turn the airbag warning light off permanently (as in when there is actually an airbag fault)?

My vehicle's airbag light started flashing about 2 years ago. I had it tested and was told it was definitely the clockspring. I tried many places to find if I could fix it, but was told the only remedy was a new clockspring from Nissan @ R4800 ex vat. I even bought one from ebay for US$23!!, but it turned out to be one for a LHD vehicle. It has two wire tails (1 with one wire and one with 3 wires), the RHD one in my vehicle has only one tail (just two wires). I was told if I plug the wrong things in, it may blow the computer on my vehicle.

In the end I spent the R5k plus and replaced it. It lasted two months and the same thing happened to the new one. I couldn't return it, as electrical parts have no warranty!! My mechanic reset the flashing warning light several times, but within a day it returns.

I will not be spending another R5K plus on yet another new clockspring. A new one possibly costs over R8k now!!

Hey, all my life I've driven cars without airbags, so it does not worry me, but the flashing warning signal light does. More so at night. That is why I want to turn it off. It is not on my Patrol, but it is on my Pathfinder, but from what I've seen on the internet, on all the models 2005 plus Nissan and Infiniti vehicles,these warning lights reset the same way, so at least on the surface it seems the system is the same on all of the Nissan models.

Thanks.

Malcolm.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Malcolm, I seem to recall that Anthony knows how to fix the clock spring? Better than permanently disconnecting the airbag, surely.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael

Post by Michael »

It will also help to check with diagnostic what tje error is. It usually points you the the culpret.
The Pathfinder has loads of airbags. Its got curtains, seat and the usual dash airbags. They also have sensors in both seats and the seatbelt stalks, so any if those with a loose connection will trigger the airbag light.

mvcoller
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Malcolm van Coller
Nickname: mvcoller
Home Town: In most reverse order - Jhb, V-Town, Vryburg, CT
Current 4x4: 2008 3.0 Di Patrol GL
and
1999 4.5 Patrol SGL
Home Language: Afr & Eng

Post by mvcoller »

Michael,

The error code says its the clock spring and it affects the airbag on the steering wheel. From what I have read is that it actually is the ribbon cable on the clock spring that goes faulty. The ribbon cable only can be bought on eBay for about US$5.00. But to be honest it is such a shit job to remove the cover over the steering, that I could not be bothered. I do have the ribbon on the one I got from the USA....

Peter,

Which Anthony is this that can fix it?
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Anthony Forgey
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
johanp
Full Name: Johan Pheiffer
Nickname: Johan
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 2004 Patrol 4800 GRX

Post by johanp »

If you reset the airbag with the ignition on/off method it will flash a code which you can use to determine which airbag is problematic.
After switching on/off 4 times and before removing the key, start the car and after 7seconds the airbag light will go off and then start to flash a code repeatedly.
You can use the workshop manual to see what the code means. For example: 2 long and 1 short flash is the driver seat airbag.
pgreeff
Full Name: Paul Greeff
Nickname: Paul
Current 4x4: 2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4

Post by pgreeff »

mvcoller wrote: 16 Oct 2018 22:16 Michael,

The error code says its the clock spring and it affects the airbag on the steering wheel. From what I have read is that it actually is the ribbon cable on the clock spring that goes faulty. The ribbon cable only can be bought on eBay for about US$5.00. But to be honest it is such a shit job to remove the cover over the steering, that I could not be bothered. I do have the ribbon on the one I got from the USA....

Peter,

Which Anthony is this that can fix it?
Malcolm, I have a post on the forum somewhere describing how I fixed mine. In short, I removed the clock spring, opened it cut the ribbon where it failed and repaired it with my soldering iron, sealed it up and after checking for shorts put it all together. It's done about 5000 km so far without problems.
2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
2006 Nissan Hardbody 2.4 D/C 4x4

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”