Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Durbanville
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Barn door not opening on remote

Post by biggles »

Rhett wrote::lol:
Glad you got it sorted!

By the way, where did you grease after stripping it, because I might have made a mistake? I stripped all the mechanisms recently as well, but decided to leave everything 'ungreased' when I put it together.

My thinking was that the grease ended up attracting dust and dirt and would again become a sticky paste which kept everything from operating smoothly. But I'm pretty dumb and I reckon that might not have been a great move.
Yes I was also thinking the same, greasing was a last resort as I couldn't see what was causing the problem and I thought maybe the sum of all the dry joints was the issue. If it gets stiff again I will strip and clean up.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:
aceventura
Full Name: Jacques Steyn
Nickname: AceVentura
Current 4x4: '08 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
'96 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD Executive
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by aceventura »

biggles wrote: 22 Sep 2017 09:16 Problem solved!!

This issue I had with the the rear door not opening properly reached a head while demonstrating how good my patrol was and Nissans are not as bad as everyone makes out... the rear door refused to unlock at all. Necessitating me to climb over the drawer system to open it from the inside. Very embarrassing :confused:

I stripped out the rear panel and tested the system for about an hour eventually stripping it and greasing up all the moving bits. But still only a slight improvement.

I eventually located the problem. The key lock was all dusted up and part of the lock turns freely when you use the remote was stiff. Anyway I cleaned and greased that all up and she is working very well.

Now the embarrassing part: Triumphant in solving an issue that had plagued me for a while I went to go tell the missus. She listened patiently, then asked why I did not use the key from the beginning instead of climbing over the drawer system and instead of playing with the remote pressing it 5 times before the door would open? :redface: I then also realised that using the key lock once in a while would have freed up the mechanism enough for the remote to work.
I have the same problem, but unlike you, I always unlock with the key when the remote does not work. :biggrin: . Will get to stripping and cleaning eventually, but removing the cover seems to be difficult and I don't want to break anything...
When nature calls
Jacques Steyn

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (190kw)
Tough Dog Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Replacement Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper
Air Helpers | Snorkel | Frontrunner Roofrack
Wishlist: TPM, Seat covers, drawer system
biggles
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Steven
Nickname: Steve
Current 4x4: GUII Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Post by biggles »

aceventura wrote: 11 Dec 2018 08:28
biggles wrote: 22 Sep 2017 09:16 Problem solved!!

This issue I had with the the rear door not opening properly reached a head while demonstrating how good my patrol was and Nissans are not as bad as everyone makes out... the rear door refused to unlock at all. Necessitating me to climb over the drawer system to open it from the inside. Very embarrassing :confused:

I stripped out the rear panel and tested the system for about an hour eventually stripping it and greasing up all the moving bits. But still only a slight improvement.

I eventually located the problem. The key lock was all dusted up and part of the lock turns freely when you use the remote was stiff. Anyway I cleaned and greased that all up and she is working very well.

Now the embarrassing part: Triumphant in solving an issue that had plagued me for a while I went to go tell the missus. She listened patiently, then asked why I did not use the key from the beginning instead of climbing over the drawer system and instead of playing with the remote pressing it 5 times before the door would open? :redface: I then also realised that using the key lock once in a while would have freed up the mechanism enough for the remote to work.
I have the same problem, but unlike you, I always unlock with the key when the remote does not work. :biggrin: . Will get to stripping and cleaning eventually, but removing the cover seems to be difficult and I don't want to break anything...
Cover is just plastic plugs, a knife or screwdriver to carefully pry them out and then a plastic dust cover. Not difficult to get in at all.
With great Power comes Great Fuel Consumption
:layrubber:

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”