Steve R
Full Name: Rogers
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Claremont, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Swapped out my music system

Post by Steve R »

I swapped out the music system on my Patrol a month or two ago and thought some of the members of the forum might be interested in a quick review of the system

My factory fitted system started to swallow my CD's and not return them!! ...... so I had the unit removed and came to the conclusion that seeing it was nearly 10 years old it was better to replace than repair. Besides I mainly played an Ipod through it and stopped using the tape system ages ago.

I went for the Nissan matched Caskia system that is the same size as the original Nissan unit .. Fitted it was approx R12k I had upgraded the speakers a year or two before so those were left unchanged

The system has a whole lot of functionality in one unit, namely

CD player (only one disc at a time- previous unit was 6)
No tape player - no big deal ..IMHO.
Plays DVD's and you can see them on the full colur screen
full Ipod connectivity and the Ipod gets tucked out of site in the cubby
The Ipod functionality is transfered to the unit so you can access playlists etc.
It links to the steering wheel buttons
Has bluetooth phone connectivity with phone book access, caller ID etc.
Has park distance control or rear view camera (extra) _ I chose the PDC
Has built in GPS - A tom tom unit - no extra cost
Has full radio functionality
I think that is it

The positives :thumbup:

Great sound
Nice all in one unit
Phone kit is great
Ipod fuctionality is great
DVD option is nice and can be programmed to leave the screen on when you are driving (if you ask the installer nicely!!) ..... I have not used this yet and obviously will not when driving!
Fills the hole completley from the old unit
could toss my old IPOD connection which was not great.
IPOD use is great as you have all your sounds with you, they dont get damaged in the bush and the shuttle does not jump
The CD player has 30 second buffer to prevent music skip when going offroad ......works well
Radio is good although I hardly ever listen to the radio as IMHO our radio stations are ......... well you know!
Bright screen and good visibility night and day ... the screen can be dimmed or switch off completley in one touch while driving.
Really easy to use ..... I have not had a need to revert to a manual to work the unit.
PDK is nice to have and works well ........ so far :rolling:

The negatives :thumbdown:
The GPS is about as useful as an ashtray on a motor bike!! ..... especially offroad ........ The first time I used it on road , it tried to take me on wild goose chase that would have added another 60km to a 150km route!!! ...... have not investigated this further.
The touch screen functionality is not that easy to use for some functionality - like selecting songs from a playlist etc.
It does come with a stylis which helps this a bit
It would be better if the unit was placed higher up in the dash as you cannot tilt the screen and some of the stuff at the very top of the screen is not visible from the driver position.
Some of the text on the screen is a little difficult to read (I use reading glasses) ... I drive with prescription sunglasses .... this solves this problem.
The price!!

Cheers
Steve
Bruin Beer
Full Name: Riaan Delport
Nickname: Rooian
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Swapped out my music system

Post by Bruin Beer »

Steve have you retained the sub hoofer in the righthand bach of the car?
Mine is busted.
Thx
Riaan (Bruin Beer)
Stefan
Full Name: Stefan de Villiers
Nickname: Stefan
Home Town: Bothasig, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2002 3.0 GL Patrol
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Stefan »

Great feedback, thanks. :thumbup:
Steve R
Full Name: Rogers
Nickname: Steve
Home Town: Claremont, Cape Town
Current 4x4: 2006 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
Home Language: English

Post by Steve R »

I did not retain the sub woofer ....... it was blown ages ago ....... we connected up another one on a test with this new unit and it did not make a big improvement ..(the four upgraded speaker did though) ..... for the sub woofer to have made a difference it would have required an amp upgrade ........ so laughed it off!!.

Also when I fit my packing system in the back of the Patrol it blanks off the sub woofer completely !

Cheers

Steve

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”