Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: Battery or alternator issue

Post by Tinus lotz »

Anyway witblits is burning feul again :thumbup:
iam just happy to see a fuse there. ....to many conversions has gone up in smoke for a lack there of ....also nice that you know where it is now :thumbup:
Alex Roux
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Alexander Roux
Nickname: Calculator
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: 2004 GU 3TDi (Lexus) - aka "Witblits" (sold)
2005: GU TD42 - aka "Masewa"
1996: GQ TB48 conversion - aka "Skilpad"
1993: GQ SWB TB42 - aka "Shortie"
1985: MQ Patrol (Safari) SD33 - aka "Toro"

Post by Alex Roux »

Update:
Took the car to Ben at BG autofit who has done his fair share of Lexus conversions.
In my case the standard fusebox that comes with the conversion kit was not put in. In stead the native Nissan fuseboxes were used for the petrol pump and the two coils.
So only one fuse remained necessary which was for the after market ECU itself.
So I am fairly certain all fuses are accounted for.
The principle followed was to be as least intrusive on the existing wiring set up as possible, which I like.
The car builder would not have remembered doing that as he does 4/5 conversions of mini taxes per month.
Doing something slightly different to the odd Patrol 4 years ago is to be expected.

Something I learned though about fires in cars in a recent thread on the community forum:
It is not just a matter of ensuring that all wires are fused, but also at the correct ampage.
So I suspect that longer wires going to the back of the car will need a lower ampage for the fuse to burn when a short happens at the back - given that the fuse would be close to the battery.

Shortages leading to potential fire can happen to any vehicle that had been subject to electrical wiring and inappropriate fusing, e.g. second battery, fridge at the back, solar panels on roof etc.

This thread is an important one for all overlanders to think about: Burning vehicles, why?
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=227126

"Installers falsely believe that a fuse will protect a system. Not always true, it largely depends on the value of the fuse and the position of the fuse. Installing a 100amp fuse on system feeding a trailer was the main reason why a vehicle burnt a few months ago."
Skilpad, Shortie, Toro & Masewa
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Very true alex .....thats what i was trying to say on your ignition you need major amps for lights ect but your ecu only needs a 15 or so ....1.5mm2 wire 15a max
2.5wire 25a max
4mm wire 35a max
6mm wire 45a max
10mm wire 50a max
16mm wire 80a max
every time you go to smaller wire size you need to fuse acordingly so if you have a 80a freeding your trailer you need to put a fuse box or inline fuse every time the wire size changes....also a main fuse at each battery. ...one on car and one on trailer..... :mytwocents:
Anyway far of topic but just to give a idea of current ratings for wires.
no volt drop was taken into consideration. ...in general go one or two sizes bigger and keep fuse the same especially on 12v for friges and lights :salute:

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”