Home Town: benoni
Current 4x4: patrol 2001
safari 1984 wagon
safari 1982 wagon
Home Language: english

Re: Madman / Landy on line

Post by juice »

Hi Josh
If you follow your pipe from your turbo to your intercooler ,there is a metal pipe just befor your intercooler , I put mine on the backside facing the fire wall
you just release the two hose clamps and out it comes , I got a nut with the same thread as the sender unit and tig welded it on to the pipe , the big job is routing the wires through the firewall which is very thick , i run my wires for my madman under the gearbox tunnel where the it was a little easier to get through where the leaver for the gearbox goes into the inside of the vehicle , i will take a picture tomorrow and put it on the thread,i also did the water temp and water low, i did not borther with the temp in the sump plug , i was worried that it could be knocked off
regards
juice
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by JoshJ »

DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0172.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
Thanxagain for the replies. You owes are awsome. I couldn't wait after my post so I just went with it. :lol:
I fitted the fitting for the pipe into the pipe juice mentioned cause this seemed the easiest to rectify if I screwd up. Got to have back-up plan :rolling:
I drilled a hole in the pipe and tapped it. Screwd in the fitting and added pratly steel just to make sure. It went in real tight. Pulled the wires through a rubber plug that covers one of the wiring harnesses that goes to the side of the driver foot wall. Connect everything and vualla :thumbup:

Boost fairly steady at 0.7bar. When coasting you can see when the EGR opens. Boost drops right down to 0.2. (Remember I adjusted the VNT screw blindly). I will re adjust it once the EGR is blockdd of so that it gives 0.9bar.

I don't experience any over boostbor eratic boost. Most I saw was1 bar and that is just quickly. I'm happy :blonde:
Attachments
20140912_195441.jpg
20140912_195441.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
DSC_0173.jpg
DSC_0173.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
DSC_0171.jpg
DSC_0171.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 4039 times
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
marakasmalan
Full Name: Marnus Malan
Nickname: marakasmalan
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: '94 Patrol SGL

Post by marakasmalan »

Grant wrote: Tinus,

None of these Patrols were yours. Let the owners who had issues with SAC post them. They paid the invoices and they have the right to complain.
Fair enough, but you ignore that besides Tinus (who also related to matters of first hand experience) the other complaints seemed fairly valid and legit to me.
Grant wrote: We also need to follow the rules of the forum. 2.7 No brand bashing.
Consumer dissatisfaction is not brand bashing. Unless you support the Information Bill or still live, by some parallel world mechanism, in Soviet Russia.
Grant wrote: As much as the complaints you have , I will only recommend SAC. Yes we all make mistakes, but both Mynhard and Gerhard are very knowledgeable on the Patrols, be it the 4.2 or the 3.0 lt.
Tony wrote: ...there is no problem with Patrols and Madman units as I was told by you when I brought it back the 3rd time
Somebody got it wrong... Or maybe Madman installations are just not their strength. The statement regarding "all patrols" is somewhat concerning though.
Grant wrote: Communication between customer and supplier is private and it is my opinion that when one posts issues like this we also need to get SAC's point so that fairness can prevail.

I have sent a link of this post to Mynhard and Gerhard so that they can reply. Lets see if they do and what response we will get.
Tick-tock-tick-tock... In lieu of what I experienced and what has been said here, I did not really expect a response.

Nothing prevents the client from publishing any part of the transaction - though the client has a right to privicay, he is definitely not forced into silence.
juice
Full Name: greg justus
Nickname: juice
Home Town: benoni
Current 4x4: patrol 2001
safari 1984 wagon
safari 1982 wagon
Home Language: english

Post by juice »

Hey Josh
when you put the big hose back on the turbo side just make sure that the clamp tightening part does not touch the water hose assembly (steel) at the bottom , I have seen on a few times that the clamp rubs up against it and can make a small hole in time .
and on the intercooler side put the pipe in tighten the clamp up a bit and then pull the steel pipe back so the groove just on the side of the hose clamp , I put mine to deep and when it build up boost and starts to move it will just slid over
regards
juice
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

I also need to invest in a madman system & boost gauge..

So where do I start? On madman's website they have three different monitoring systems:

EMS1 - Exhaust Gas Temperature, Coolant Level, Coolant Temperature, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Voltage, Engine Hours, Inclinometer
EMS2 - Exhaust Gas Temperature, Coolant Level, Coolant Temperature, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Voltage, Engine Hours
EGT1 - Exhaust Gas Temperature, Voltage, Engine Hours

Is it fine to just install the EGT1? Or is it advisable to rather go for the EMS1 or EMS2 system, install EGT probe for now, and then add the rest later?

Where can I get a boost gauge? Will any boost gauge work? What do you guys recommend?
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

I don't know how the prices compare, but I love the idea of an audible alarm for all critical engine parameters. We can't watch the gauges all the time, and in the event of an oil pressure or coolant loss you have but seconds to respod to save your engine.

The EMS2 gives you all this.

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Fanus, you can just get the EMS2 with EGT probe as a starting point and get all the extra sensors at a later stage if you dont feel like spending all the money now.
The nice thing about the Madman system is that you can upgrade it as you go
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
JoshJ
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: Joshua Joubert
Nickname: Joshua
Home Town: Centurion, Gauteng
Current 4x4: 94 GQ SGL-D

Post by JoshJ »

And a normal boost gauge is good. Auto gauge or VDO. all work well.
Being alive is a Blessing!!

Regards,
Joshua
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Michael, as jy na die foto hieronder kyk, is dit waar mens die verstelling doen om te verhoed dat die engine te hoog ref/idle wanneer die aircon aan kom?
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (94.36 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

SJC wrote:Michael, as jy na die foto hieronder kyk, is dit waar mens die verstelling doen om te verhoed dat die engine te hoog ref/idle wanneer die aircon aan kom?
Daai is die een Fanus!
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”