Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Glow Plug Issues

Post by ricster »

Hopefully Frans has a look in here..... he might also be able to give some help and assistance
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Andre Steyn
Full Name: Steyn
Nickname: Andre
Home Town: Rustenburg
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Andre Steyn »

Hmmmm, cedric I think you might be right about the glazing bit. I was very cautious as the rebuild cost me almost 50k with the new head and turbo mods. So I'm going to give your step by step process a shot. I must also mention I'm running the machine with 10w40 full synthetic oil. Which maybe for running in wasn't such a great idea. The dyno was done in Rustenburg by cf performance,and truly was only 90hp on the first run on the rear wheel. The second one after 3000km was 112hp. To be honest I cannot remember the egts.
Andre Steyn
Current 4x4: 99 Nissan Patrol Y61 4.2 Turbo intercooled Station wagon or Nissan patrol 4.2tdi pick up and now wifey's 2007 4.8 grx added to the family

Post by Andre Steyn »

Forgot to add, its basically rough startup fowl idling and the white smoke smells of unburnt diesel. About 2minutes of slight revving with a mis here and there then suddenly all is well.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

I've been told that our old school TD42's aren't suited to full synthetic oil, but I have no idea. I was refered to use Delo 400 ( not Delo Gold) many years back when I still had my 3.0L V6 SANI, and was told here that the Delo 400 is the best for our diesels too. I have been using this since the first service I did on the Iron Maiden.

There are products available here that I found on the Aussie sites. I was thinking about getting some to try, but haven't had a chance yet. Here is the info he gave me via e-mail. This is a complete carbon/light glazing clean out for the motor. His contact details are below. As far as I know you don't have to do this often, its more a once off thing, except the fuel treatment. That is a additive that you add a bit at a time. Again I don't think you would use it again once finished.... unless you wanted to.

Hi Cedric,

Herewith the pricing for cash:

· 500ml FTC Decarbonizer:
· 500ml CFT Cleanpower Fuel Treatment:
· 200ml Flushing Oil Concentrate:

If this suits you I will get the order made up for you.

Regards

Johan Moolman

Let us know if you do go this route. The aussies seem impressed with the results on the Patrols.

I more so think now its a compression problem maybe a bit of carbon built up on the rings and pistons not giving a good compression to ignite the fuel and possibly glowplugs are dirty with carbon. Have you looked at them recently?
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Eish, you musn't say that! That creates cause for extra worry! I've been running my td42ti pickup on 5w40 full synth for 120000km now with no funny stuff so far, even my turbo is still the factory one since new. And with 0 oil consumption between the 15000km service intervals,depending on condition of course. Hmmm, as for the station wagon I replaced the g plugs recently due to the starting issue. As soon as I get the cooler assy from frans and her back on the run, I really should tend to the possible glaze issue.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

You say you service every 15000Km...... :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: ... now you scare me !!!..... 5000Km on the TD42. My oil is blacker than...... hmmm ..... well.... its just bladdy black at 5000Km.

Like I said, I was just told this "I've been told that our old school TD42's aren't suited to full synthetic oil" ......The Delo 400 is a 10w40, so yours should work better at low low temps, if I understand the oil codes correctly. but I think more than 5000Km between services is a problem!!
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

Hmmm, must admit thats one thing I've noticed since changing to the synthetic based oil especially on my pick up, the oil stays resonably clear with a slight black tint up to about 12000km. The api spec of the oil I'm using is sm/cf if that makes sence according to liqui moly product guide their synth oil is fine for any or all turbo diesels. My wagon gets serviced every 75000km though like it use to when stil new. I must admit I dont have enough knowledge on oils, I basically went on what the guide and api spec said. In die zd30 models user manuel on the hardbody it nogal advises 5w40 synth oil.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

That's interesting.... makes no sense to me.... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: ... but interesting...

Maybe one day I'll give the Iron Maiden a shock and put some of that in and see how it runs. I can't believe it will do any harm, It may change the oil pressures a bit though.
Regards
Cedric
Andre Steyn

Post by Andre Steyn »

I do agree on the oil pressure due to it being so thin. If you give her that shock just dont use mobil1 0w40 that stuffs like parrafin. I did notice on my rebuilt wagon after being put together with the first startup even with the oil pump primed she struggeld to get oil pressure, after removing the oil pump and packing it with some grease it worked perfect. So dont know if its the oil or what. My picup has 220000km on now and the turbo which apparently should die around 75-100k is stil working great, again dont know who to thank for that.
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by ricster »

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ don't say that too loud...... you might be tempting fate.... :rolling: :rolling:
Regards
Cedric

Return to “13. Electrical & Electronics”