Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Re: New Bilstein Suspension by Mikem

Post by Wilkie »

CarloG wrote: 25 Jul 2018 20:29 For interest I'm sharing some photos of my 2005, 4.8 that I got back from Mikem Suspension today. I have had OME (2" lift) on a previous 4.8 and had the TJM XGS Gold that this one had on it. After much desktop research including looking at some options I saw in Australia I decided to go with the Bilstein, custom made by the guys at Mikem. "Custom" sounds larny but they dont have a 'kit as OME do so they make the reservoirs, mounts etc as required for the vehicle.

First up i must say that these are the first guys I have met in person that have actually been able to explain to me how suspension works. They spent some 90 minutes with me made and this probably made me lean towards them doing the work. Barend in particular deserves a mention.

I did get quotes on multiple options from 4" lifts to OME BP51 (that quote came in at R90k for a 2" lift) to the standard OME 2" lift that we often see. Overall I am delighted by the workmanship and attention to detail. I opted to stay with an approximately 50mm lift as I utilise the car mainly for touring with my young family, towing an overloaded conqueror companion and a roof rack that has always got too much on it.

I am mostly ignorant on suspensions but opted to install external reservoirs and not have adjustable shocks. I have overheated and 'blown' more than a handfull of shocks in my life hence the former option. On adjustability - I drove a cruiser fitted with BP51's for a month earlier this year in Australia and while I tend to think more options are better, I quickly realized that my understanding of how compression and rebound work in reality (versus the manual) fall short if utilising the option to its full extent. Further - I concluded that most of my driving is not done at the limit of any application - i don't race and i don't do extreme rock crawling that requires an Xlink or something similar.

Only drove it for about 90km today but it feels superb. Bumps, swerves and one pavement all elicited just one action from the suspension which is how I think suspension should work.

Oh yes - for R500 someone can have my outgoing TJM Coils (all four) + TJM XGS Gold Front and Rear shocks. They weren't poked/broken but are not new. 2" lift.
Thx I'll take your old TJM's off you...PM me your nr pse
CarloG
Full Name: Carlo Gonzaga
Nickname: Carlog
Home Town: Johannesburg/Midrand
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.8GRX 2005
Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX 2010 (Retired)
Hyuandai Terracan 3.6L (Retired)
Home Language: Engels

Post by CarloG »

Wilkie wrote: 26 Jul 2018 07:28
CarloG wrote: 25 Jul 2018 20:29 For interest I'm sharing some photos of my 2005, 4.8 that I got back from Mikem Suspension today. I have had OME (2" lift) on a previous 4.8 and had the TJM XGS Gold that this one had on it. After much desktop research including looking at some options I saw in Australia I decided to go with the Bilstein, custom made by the guys at Mikem. "Custom" sounds larny but they dont have a 'kit as OME do so they make the reservoirs, mounts etc as required for the vehicle.

First up i must say that these are the first guys I have met in person that have actually been able to explain to me how suspension works. They spent some 90 minutes with me made and this probably made me lean towards them doing the work. Barend in particular deserves a mention.

I did get quotes on multiple options from 4" lifts to OME BP51 (that quote came in at R90k for a 2" lift) to the standard OME 2" lift that we often see. Overall I am delighted by the workmanship and attention to detail. I opted to stay with an approximately 50mm lift as I utilise the car mainly for touring with my young family, towing an overloaded conqueror companion and a roof rack that has always got too much on it.

I am mostly ignorant on suspensions but opted to install external reservoirs and not have adjustable shocks. I have overheated and 'blown' more than a handfull of shocks in my life hence the former option. On adjustability - I drove a cruiser fitted with BP51's for a month earlier this year in Australia and while I tend to think more options are better, I quickly realized that my understanding of how compression and rebound work in reality (versus the manual) fall short if utilising the option to its full extent. Further - I concluded that most of my driving is not done at the limit of any application - i don't race and i don't do extreme rock crawling that requires an Xlink or something similar.

Only drove it for about 90km today but it feels superb. Bumps, swerves and one pavement all elicited just one action from the suspension which is how I think suspension should work.

Oh yes - for R500 someone can have my outgoing TJM Coils (all four) + TJM XGS Gold Front and Rear shocks. They weren't poked/broken but are not new. 2" lift.
Thx I'll take your old TJM's off you...PM me your nr pse
Sorry Wilkie - taken
'05 Patrol 4.8L GRX
'13 Conqueror Companion
Specialsied Stumpjumper. Munga Trainee

JHB to London '07, 16000km, 39 days, by Bike
90days camping - JHB to Nairobi and back - 2014
"We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us"
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

Looking good!

What did it cost incl installation?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
CarloG

Post by CarloG »

hugejp wrote: 26 Jul 2018 12:12 Looking good!

What did it cost incl installation?
Excl the front bumpstops but including the steering dampener was about 21k inclusive.
'05 Patrol 4.8L GRX
'13 Conqueror Companion

DawidT
Full Name: Dawid Taljaard
Nickname: Dawid
Home Town: Witbank
Current 4x4: 2010 Nissan Patrol 4800 GRX,
Nissan Patrol 4.2l GQ
Volkswagen Caravelle 4 Motion
2018 Toyota Landcruiser V8 DC
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by DawidT »

Hi Carlo,

I PM you. Need your contact details but see the PM is sitting in my outbox?
Kagiso II
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Mac Mc Menamin
Nickname: Oom Mac [Uncle Mac] [Uncle] [Oompie] Kagiso
Home Town: BrentwoodPark, Benoni
Current 4x4: 1982 Datsun Safari 2,8 aka LOBO; [1,300,000 Km verby !]
'99 PATROL 4,2 diesel.
2012 Jimny [SWAMBO se Kantoor-toe]
Home Language: AFRIKAANS

Post by Kagiso II »

me thinks me must put "debs" on Carlo's car .. seems like he really puts in to make it the ultimate Croozer gatskopper AND the "MOST WANTED PATROL" out there.
Dis goed om te sien hoe jy jou Patrol met sorg versorg en toerus, mater.. rerrig.

Gee bikki terugvoer , wat het die "Besoek aan Abel" tot gevolg gehad? [hoop jy jy is spyt nie? ]
Don't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
CarloG

Post by CarloG »

Kagiso II wrote: 28 Jul 2018 14:16 me thinks me must put "debs" on Carlo's car .. seems like he really puts in to make it the ultimate Croozer gatskopper AND the "MOST WANTED PATROL" out there.
Dis goed om te sien hoe jy jou Patrol met sorg versorg en toerus, mater.. rerrig.

Gee bikki terugvoer , wat het die "Besoek aan Abel" tot gevolg gehad? [hoop jy jy is spyt nie? ]
Dankie Mac - ek sal in Mozambique en Kruger vir die volgende vier weeke wees. Waneer ek terug kom sal ek terugvoer. Alreeds vergeet van die storie met Viper en RBTS. (Thats about the best Afrikaans i can muster - been about 25 years since I've written anything in Afrikaans! :woo: )
'05 Patrol 4.8L GRX
'13 Conqueror Companion

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”