Patrol Pickup - Suspension lift options.

Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Patrol Pickup - Suspension lift options.

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Yip, pete is correct, and doing a SOA on a patrol will mean having to rebuild a longer rear prop shaft otherwise the slip yolk / Splines will part ways under any undulation , and subsequently, screw itself off and snap.

Another issue is axle wrap under torque, could get away with it due to thickness of the packs but still a gamble, along with this then is also UJ vibrations due to massive prop shaft angle, so would need to Double cardon the prop or swap your diff out for a high pinion rear carrier.

Just too much crap for what you get. all these things will cost more than a new rear pack ,even at 10 -15k for a pack, it would still be cheaper.

Fanus, i am in the process of deconstructing my original rear leaf packs to do a mix and match with my current XGS 400kg constant load packs. I'm doing this to get the best out of the lot, to suit my personal needs.

One thing i shal be looking at whilst i have the top blade free, is to check them against the LC 60 series rear pack top blade, as well as differences in bottom location pin etc. I am of the opinion that the 60 series packs could be perfect for the patrol (slightly longer with a more desirable arc / spring rate ), i just need to check widths and lengths etc to gauge if they will match. If they do, i will be looking for an old set to harvest what i need to build my own pack.

Will keep you in the loop mate.

Ps: I'm still out shooting films on the farm will be back next week, and will have a bit of free time to look at the centre console/gear lever/ hand brake thing. Life has been so hectic dude.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: 4.2 GQ (TB42)
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Hi Russ, can you measure the distance between the bottom of rim to wheel arch on your bakkie?
I am especially interested in the rear.
Mine measures 80cm at the back, (75-76 at front). I am wondering about the possibility that the leaf springs (and coils?) have sagged over time?
1996 Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Hey bud, ok will do.

In response to your earlier question, my truck has XGS coils and Leaf pack in (2" lift kit), and my shocks are XGS Gold Edition matched to the 2" lift.

As said before, i have HEAVY DUTY leaf packs in with a constant load rating of 400kg,.. which means they very very stiff packs. If i didnt have a lot of gear on the back with my big canopy , roof rack, and other gear in the back hard mounted to the vehicle, it would be terrible to drive.

I also run Firestone Air springs (Pneumatic bags) which i inflate and deflate when needed depending on load.

Your rear packs may have sagged very little, but should be good for a long while still. Remember,in mosts cases, the flatter the pack sits the better the flex. The Original nissan patrol packs also have very well set up system of using flat load leafs in order to make it a 2 stage suspension. My current packs use arced load leafs, which i dont particularly like and i will be changing this. the advantage though of arced load leafs is that you dont get caught up on rocks or logs etc.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Front 850mm
Rear 940mm

Rear bags have 2.5bar in ,so this would probably be lower like 900mm-920mm without air in the bags.

Without my canopy and gear it would be higher though, probably 970mm or so. Just guessing.

I run 285x75x16 BFG KM2.

My front coils are slightly sagged i will admit.

Interstingly, when i purchased the patrol from nissan as a demo, the front coils were slightly sagged already and didnt hold up too well. The rear packs however seemed to be in great condition for ages, and i believe them to be very well made as a nissan product.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Russ Kellermann wrote:Front 850mm
Rear 940mm
This is what is concerning me about my current leaf pack. In theory the standard suspension should be measuring about 90 at the back. (If you deduct 2" from your height).
Mine is sitting at 80 - I am wondering If I would not be wasting my time and money on shackles, maybe I should rather save up for leaf springs?

Think I need to get to a Nissan dealership and go measure a patrol pickup on their floor...
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Michael »

Fanus, spaar net vir ander leaf springs en doen dit reg, jy kan altyd die shackles by voeg by jou nuwe springs
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

I agree with both your last comments.

Save for new leafs rather, and shop around, see what they wanna charge, prices seem to very quite vastly between companies. Also, see what nissan wanna charge for a set... although my guess is alot.

And first, go past a nissan to check on the rears of a brand new model. I would also be very interested to rear what you find there.

Dont forget, i also run extended shackles hey, but they are not overly long, just very very strong. I posted a thread on them somewhere here on the forum.

Keep us in the loop!
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »

Mine measures 990 it has iron man springs in :wink:
That is rear with some stuff on the back cant give you front no motor in there...lol.... :lol:
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by SJC »

Geen wonder Errol noem my bakkie "platanna" nie... :surprised: :lol:
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5

Post by Wilkie »

Fanus as ek n Patrol bakkie gehad het so ek gekyk het of ek nie n rear coil conversion kon doen nie . jou 4.5 werk so en ek is seker om spring saddle te maak en control brackets te maak kan nie
so erg wees nie....hier is baie slim manne op die forum wat hulle input en opinies sal gee en as dit gedoen kan word sal jy die eerste van baie Nissan bakkies wees wat met coils agter ry en nie vere nie

En dan het jy ook nie meer n platanna nie :blonde: :blonde: :blonde:

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”