Radius Arm Bushes DIY

Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Russell Kellermann
Nickname: Russell Kellermann
Home Town: Cape Town now, grew up on the Wild Coast.
Current 4x4: 2007 Patrol 4.2D Pickup
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon
Home Language: English

Re: Radius Arm Bushes DIY

Post by Russ Kellermann »

Yeah, agree Peter,.. its no secret that Original Nissan Rubber is best for flex and front end feel,.. so like you say, to keep them you would have to x-link, or use drop arms, or change the linkage point at the chassis end (read : drop boxes).

Obvously, for most, Caster bushes will do the job nicely, particularly those not looking for extreme wheel travel but rather good road manners.

I'm glad to see such a cool design of bushings, that doesnt break the bank either. Im intrigued to see over time how the fair, and if they might swivel in the arm? The usual story is to have a Metal outer, which is pressed or knocked in, which i assumed would adhear to the arm via friction, holding it in place,.. these dont, and these also seem very easy to install. Keep us posted Mike.
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Peter Connan »

Russ, due to something Clem asked me for, I have been investigating rubber bushes and how they SHOULD be manufactured. I will explain the two processes, so sorry if this gets a bit long-winded and technical, but somebody may get some use out of this and I think it might put your mind a little bit at rest on your question.

The cheap (and incorrect) way of making these bushes, and unfortunately also the one all local manufacturers I know about use, is to simply make a jig to hold the two yubes in position, then apply some bonding agent to the correct areas, and then insert the rubber (rubber or EPDM is softened with heat and pressed in, poly is mixed and poured) into the gap between the two tubes. The assembly is then placed in an oven or autoclave to cure. Simple and easy.

The problem is that rubber, and to a lesser extent polyurethane, shrinks while curing. So you end up with a situation where the bonding agent is under extreme tensile stress, and it invariably fails pretty soon.

The right way to do it is to make a seperate mold, with sizes very carefully calculated. The whole mould is coated with relaesa agent, the rubber or poly is inserted and cured, then removed from the mold. The sleeves are manufactured especially with rough surfaces where it will contact the rubber. Now the inner tube is cooled in liquid nitrogen, and the rubber is heated, then dropped over the inner sleeve. Then the process is reversed, with the rubber and inner sleeve assembly chilled in liquid nitrogen, and the outer sleeve heated and slipped over.

If the calculations for the mold were done correctly, you now have an asembly where the rubber is under pretty serious compressive stress, and this is what holds it all together. No bonding agent.

Thus in theory, if these fancy poly bushes have enough interference with the hole in the suspension arm, those bushes will not move, ever. And you have gained a little bit of flex because your rubber section is effectively thicker due to the omission of the outer sleeve (although probably not over a standard bush because the inner sleeve here is much thicker.

My major concern is with the polyurethane itself. I have been told that poly doesn't handle high-force vibration well, eventually disintigrating. And this exactly the type of loading expected in this application.

So personally I prefer drop-boxes or X-links or some other method to recover the caster angle without having to move away from concentric rubber bushes.

:mytwocents:
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

Bloody good Post Pete, ..thanks for sharing your wisdom once again. totally explains it.

So in essence however,.. these bushes that Mike got are/could be the best yet. ... ?
'07 Patrol Pickup TD42 N/A,285's KM2,3" Lift,ONCA Bars,Warn High Mount,Alu Canopy, and some other Stuff.
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Certainly the best Poly-looking I have yet seen, but I don't think they are as good long-term as the genuine article.

However. they do provide a cost-effective way of fixing the problems we cause with lift kits.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
Michael
Full Name: Michael
Nickname: Steyn
Home Town: Centurion
Current 4x4: Patrol GU 4.2 Turbo Diesel

Post by Michael »

Great post Piet

Like you said, poly bushes isn't my favourite either and I also prefer rubber bushes. The biggest issue for me is correcting my caster in the most cost effective way and I am very keen on trying these new adjustable bushes.

I think in future I will definitely invest in the drop box or x link option
"The Just shall live by Faith" Rom1:17

Check out my build here My Patrol
And my engine rebuild here mostly engine related stuff
Russ Kellermann
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
2005 Patrol 4.2TD Wagon

haha, Mike..... put these in ! you keeping us in suspense here! :pray:

(Ps: You setting them up at 2.5' ?)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ha ha Russ, belive me when I say that I want them in more that you :lol:
Im just not finding the time to get to them, but they will be in before Monday.

I think it is going to be 2deg offset not 2.5 like the salesman said.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Ok so finally I got some time yesterday to install my new caster correction bushes.
To make long story short, it was quite a job!! took me about 5 hours of nonstop commitment to get them changed plus some bushes and lots of frustration when I ran out of hands as it iwas just myself and I doing the job.

So obviously I started by jacking up the car and supporting the chassis with some trestles, then I just removed the one rear bolt and the two on the dif and out she comes.
On closer inspection after removal you could clearly see the centre bush has completely broke loose from the rubber section.
20150531_135451-1900.jpg
20150531_135451-1900.jpg (280.07 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Close up of the bush
20150531_135457-1900.jpg
20150531_135457-1900.jpg (193.76 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
I don't have a press to get the old bushes out, but there is a old trick that is very easy to get them out. Just drill some holes in the rubber to brake the centre piece of the bush out and then use a normal hack saw to cut through the bush. It then comes out very easy using a chisel and hammer.
20150531_143136-1900.jpg
20150531_143136-1900.jpg (145.54 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
The bush removed
20150531_143434-1900.jpg
20150531_143434-1900.jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Once the bushes were removed I sanded and cleaned the holes and then simply installed the new ones as per instructions on the Ironman website.
here is how the new installed bushes comare with the old standard bushes.
20150531_152752-1900.jpg
20150531_152752-1900.jpg (242.55 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
The really hard part of this excersize is to mark the radius arm directly under the bolts 90deg with the ground. You use these marks to install the new bushes.

ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

nicely done bud !!
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Tinus lotz
Full Name: Tinus lotz
Nickname: Tinus lotz
Current 4x4: Nissan patrol 4.8 GRX 2005

Toyota 2.7 legend 35 LWB 4X4

Post by Tinus lotz »