Full Name: Lourens Klopper
Nickname: Lourens
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans

Need new bushes

Post by LourensK »

HI Guys

I need some help please. I have just been accepted to you're site. Thank you for accepting!!! I need to replace all the standard bushes on my '96 4.2 SGL. The plan is not upgrade the suspension, just would like to replace it with standard bushes and try to keep her as original as possible.... I have replaced the shocks and done the wheel bearings but still have some vibration issues from the front... Which only leaves me to the bushes and tie rod ends. I reside in the Johannesburg area so not a problem to drive around to get some parts. Any advice is appreciated... :biggrin:
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Home Language: English
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Re: Need new bushes

Post by ricster »

Hi Lourence,

Firstly, Welcome !!

Secondly, How are the kingpin bearings on your front axle knuckles? If they are worn they can give you some horrible vibrations. They are very easy to replace too. Next would be to replace the bushes and tie rod ends...... :mytwocents:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

Lourens, welcome. There appears to be nobody in SA who makes "silentblock" bushes (The ones with steel inner and outer sleeves) correctly.

And you are unlikely to find "pirate" here either.

So I suspect you have three options:
1) Buy second-hand from David Volschenk (Devolschannk).
2) Import from Europarts (speak to NokolaiB) or Auz.
3) Buy from the agents.

I am looking to make myself a set of front suspension bushes, but this may take a long time as I am not getting around to much at the moment.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
LourensK
Full Name: Lourens Klopper
Nickname: Lourens
Home Town: Randburg
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.2 SGL

Post by LourensK »

Ok, I will look at those options and see which one will be the best.... Thanks Peter. Worse case scenario, if I go to a upgraded suspension, which one would be the best? and most cost effective? is the ride harder and make the vehicle top heavy? These are things I'm not sure of on the Patrol if this would benefit the vehicle. :rolleyes:
Peter Connan
Full Name: Peter Connan
Nickname: Piet
Home Town: Kempton Park
Current 4x4: 1996 Patrol 4.5SGL

Post by Peter Connan »

All things are a compromise. Any lift will in theory make the car more top-heavy, but a moderate lift with stiffer springs could easily result in a vehicle that is less likely to tip over, but this would of course result in a bumpier ride. However the Patrol has a relatively low centre of gravity and a wide track and as a result is less top-heavy than most of the competition, and thus handles a lift very well.

However, very few aftermarket suspansion sets include new bushes, except maybe the front control arm bushes, which will then be offset polyurethane bushes. These improve stability at high speed but will not last as long as rubber and will reduce your articulation slightly.

However, have you actually checked that the bushes are shot, or are you assuming based on the steering wobble/vibration? Very few of the bushes will result in a steering wobble or vibration, in fact probably only the panhard rod bushes (particularly front axle, and these can usually be tightened as they are not Silentblock) and the shock mounting rubbers, which should have been replaced with the shocks.

If you are looking to cure a steering wobble, there are many causes more likely than the rest of the suspension bushes.
Mag ons ons kenniskry met lekkerkry aanhoukry.
NMAD
Full Name: noel
Nickname: happy
Home Town: C
Current 4x4: 20
Home Language: E

Post by NMAD »

This may not help but i recently changed over suspension from OME to the stock Nissan and I got vibrations when driving at around 105-125 km/h only.
This was strange as it did not do this with the OME 2 Inch lift. All the tyres had been balanced a week before so I thought the wheel alignment must be out so I had that rechecked and it was perfect :think: The tyre shop said I must rebalance all 4 wheels as it could be what was causing the vibration but I said it was done a week ago. He insisted and it turned out that all 4 wheels were totally out of balance and they fixed it and now the vibrations are gone. :thumbup:

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”