Patrolman
Full Name: Clem Daniel
Nickname: Clem
Home Town: Johannesburg
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.8
Home Language: English

Re: Leaning suspension

Post by Clem »

Peter, I think you're probably right and I would expect to find that the front left corner is slightly higher. But it seemed level before we fitted the rear coils. The other thing is that the vehicle is still on the original Nissan shock absorbers and it might be that these also play a role. Technically, the lift should only be about 1 inch but whether it is, I am not sure. Anyway, we'll see what happens with a bit of time.
Rudolph
Full Name: Rudolph van Deventer
Nickname: Rudolph
Home Town: Port Alfred
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol Y61 3.0Di GL (TD42Ti)
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Rudolph »

Give it some time, when I fitted a new EFS suspension a few years ago, it was also not level all round, it took if I can remember correctly a good 1000km to settle and level out.
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Thank you very much Rudolph. I will use the vehicle over the December season and then we will see after that.
Grant
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Francis
Nickname: Grant
Home Town: Rosendal
Current 4x4: 2020 70 Series V8 LC
Hilux 2,4 4x4 SC Dakar

Post by Grant »

Often had to fit spacers on top of the coils on many of the older vehicles when I still had LA Sport Centurion. Most fo the time they were on the rear but they are made for front and back. Give Mega world a call should the problem persist and they also come in different sizes.
V8 Power

You can't expect to be old and wise
if you were never young and crazy
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Thank you Grant!
Clem
Patrolman
Patrolman

Post by Clem »

Okay, nothing has changed on the suspension but it seems to have settled and solved itself. This morning looking at the vehicle from behind on a flat surface, the sub- tank completely empty and with the main tank very nearly completely empty but a second battery in the drawer system on the right-hand side of the vehicle, the right rear of the vehicle is actually now slightly higher than the left rear. In other words, all around, probably correct and about as much as you could hope for. So it seems that it was largely a matter of "letting it settle over time". Only a few hundred kilometres – if that – done since installation.
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

AndriesS wrote: 19 Jul 2013 09:04 Many cars use spacers for this reason, manufacturing tolerances could create these sort of differences, though 2cm's area a lot. I haven't read all the posts but how and where is the measurements taken. I hope it's from the the center of the wheel to the tupperware

I would suggests adding spacers, this will not change the spring rate.
Where can one find these spacers, who sells them?

My patrol has always been leaning a bit to the left. Noticed yesterday while changing wheels/tyres, with vehicle in the air, that the left rear coil is quite loose.
So i was thinking to either use a spacer or have the coil re tentioned? :think:
(TJM coils)
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
hugejp
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: JP Viviers
Nickname: Oupoot
Home Town: JHB
Current 4x4: THE PATROL COLLECTION
2004 4.8 GRX TURBO "Tinkerbell"
2003 TD42T GRX "The Coal Roller"
Home Language: Half & Half

Post by hugejp »

I think Terrain Tamer have them...

Marinus???
----------------------------------------------------------------------

You CAN with a NISSAN!

Jy KAN met 'n DATSUN!
davidvdm
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David vd Merwe
Nickname: David - Hillbilly
Home Town: West Coast
Current 4x4: 1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani Mk3 4x4 SFA (SAFANI)
Home Language: English/Afrikaans

Post by davidvdm »

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread, but I would prefer that the discussion around this problem stays in one thread for people to find.

I have seen a few Patrols leaning as mentioned in this thread, and found that the coils are longer on the right than the left. But the last thing I expected, is that my Hardbody/Sani would do the same thing with only half the Patrols suspension, although I do have the full Safari drivetrain. The Sani is leaning fairly bad, and I suspect that the rear leaf springs are actually to blame. However, I have to say that I did a fair amount of work to relieve weight on the right side of the vehicle after the addition of the Safari drive-train, which added a transfer case to the right of the vehicle. To achieve this, I moved the fuel tank from the right to the centre of the vehicle, although it is much higher than it was in its original position, and will one day move when the budget allows. I also moved the battery from the right side of the engine compartment to floor level on the left side of the car, and midway between the front and rear wheels.

I thought I had maybe made a mistake in my rush to finish off the suspension the day before I left for Cape Town, and that I maybe installed the coils on the incorrect sides. But last weekend I went through the process to lift the Sani up till the coils dislocated, and measured them. The right is nearly 20mm longer than the left, so I did not mess that one up. I really have to look very closely to con myself into seeing that the right rear leaf is lower than the left. They run perfectly flat and could do with a re-tention, but I was hoping to have done the coil conversion on the rear by now. Although that will need to wait for much longer than now, as my GU coils went missing after some affirmative shopping. All I have left in the coil department now, is a set of coils from a GD6 Fortuna. Although they don't even have 10K km on them as my son pulled them off his car when he did the Ironman suspension, I have a few issues with them. One, they are shorter than the GU coils. Two, they don't seem to be as heavy-duty as the GU coils. And third, they are not Nissan coils :thumbdown: :naughty: :lol:

Anyhow, I just thought I would share my "experience" with the forum. It makes very little sense to me why the Sani is leaning to the right, along with the famous pulling to the left at the slightest road camber, or wind. It does frighten me a bit when I get the backside out to the right into a drift, as it leans fairly bad with the 8" lift and no sway bar front or rear. It flexes fairly well, and I will need to add droop limiters to the front end, as the coils dislocate, and the axle hangs directly on the shock that goes to full extension. The rear just flexes like a Hardbody always did, and may actually be slightly worse after the addition of the 150mm drop boxes on the leaf packs which seems to cause them to bind a little, although they do also max out the droop of the Old Man Emu shocks, even after installing them so low in the stroke that they bottom out under bump, and I have already popped the one on the right.

Anybody have some old GU, or even GQ rear coils laying around, that is taking up space, and need to be dumped, please give me a shout, I would love to take them off your hands :helpsign:
David - Bfreesani
1997 Nissan Sani MK3 2.7TD - Hillbilly (SAFANI)
MQ C200 SFA
MQ H260 LSD Rear
MQ Transfer as second low range
5" Lift
33"x12.5x15" tires on 8.5J rims - Want 35's
DIY rock sliders
DIY Snorkel
Madman EMS

Return to “12. Suspension, Steering & Brakes”