Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Ian de Villiers
Nickname: Ian
Home Town: Garsfontein
Current 4x4: Nissan Patrol 4.5 GRX
Home Language: English

Trim Beading

Post by iandvl »

I had the vehicle at the assessor today.

I've not received the assessment report yet or decided to proceed with the claim or not yet, but the assessor estimated about R8K for repairs, of which I've been told about R4K will be excess. Little bit annoyed about that.

In any case, I've got no major damage at all - and even the little tupperware bits that came off in the accident are all pretty much repairable. Some just need a bit of touch up paint... As such, I'm sort of feeling that I should perhaps just fix the wheel arch and the little trim bit on the door, and look at fitting a rear replacement bumper when my tax dosh comes through in a few weeks...

However, the beading that sits between these bits and the body panels is rather stuffed... I use the term beading, for want of a better one. I even stopped by a panel beater today after seeing the assessor, and they seem fairly clueless. Sort of indicated that this is a Nissan-model-specific thing only...

I've always assumed it was fairly generic (the beading on my Hardbody is identical as that on my Patrol in terms of profile) and you could sort of buy it in lengths and cut it to fit. Am I wrong about this ? Anybody have any ideas ?
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Re: Trim Beading

Post by David M »

Ian - Google "Pro Auto Rubber". I got from their Randburg branch for my Hardbody a couple of years ago but it has now closed and only Boksburg.

I also want to replace mine as they have also gone brittle and one of my fenders also needs some touch up work so if I get time and can find my passport I will go through in the next week. Will phone you first to see how much you need.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Mini Patrol wrote:Ian - Google "Pro Auto Rubber". I got from their Randburg branch for my Hardbody a couple of years ago but it has now closed and only Boksburg.

I also want to replace mine as they have also gone brittle and one of my fenders also needs some touch up work so if I get time and can find my passport I will go through in the next week. Will phone you first to see how much you need.
David,

Thanks very much. I'll look for them.

While I'm busy, I guess I'm going to do the trim on all wheel flares. So I'll have to measure it up and work out how much I need. If I get there before you, I'll let you know. I should be able to collect some for you too.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
David M
Patrolman
Patrolman
Full Name: David Marais
Nickname: David Marais
Home Town: Midrand
Current 4x4: 1998 4.5 GL Patrol
2006 4.2 Td Bakkie (SWAMBO's) - The "Firetruck"

Post by David M »

I see there is a branch in Atteridgeville as well now.
There are still places out there!!!! - Daniel Goz - The "Tapam" movie
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

Mini Patrol wrote:I see there is a branch in Atteridgeville as well now.
David,

I see there is a branch in Rebecca Street in Western Pretoria which is very close to the way I drive home from work. I think I'm going to stop by there this afternoon on the way back. Do you want me to collect some for you ? If so, colour and length ?
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

I managed to get some at the branch in Pretoria West (somewhere there). It's not exactly the same as the "u-channel" type beading on the Patrol and colours could not be matched. I sort of expected this and opted for black, because I do not think it will look too bad.

I'm going to give it a bash in any case and see how it works out. Shall post pics. David - I bought the remainder of their black trim beading (sorry). They should have stock again early next week though.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Wilkie
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Errol Wilken
Nickname: Wilkie
Home Town: Pretoria
Current 4x4: 1999 4.5 GRX Nissan Patrol
2004 BMW 3.0D X5
Home Language: Afrikaans

Post by Wilkie »

iandvl wrote:I managed to get some at the branch in Pretoria West (somewhere there). It's not exactly the same as the "u-channel" type beading on the Patrol and colours could not be matched. I sort of expected this and opted for black, because I do not think it will look too bad.

I'm going to give it a bash in any case and see how it works out. Shall post pics. David - I bought the remainder of their black trim beading (sorry). They should have stock again early next week though.
Yip would like to see that Ian..also keen to re do my fender trims
ricster
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: Cedric Warner
Nickname: Cedric
Home Town: Alberton Gauteng
Current 4x4: '99 Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel
Location: LA..... No not Los Angles ..... Lower Alberton, Gauteng

Post by ricster »

Ian, that rubber beading, does it come with a part number? The beadings all around my car have been knackered for a long time and wanted to get for a long time too, but I believe they aren't open on Saturdays, and I'm pretty much office bound during the week. So if there is a part number, then I can maybe order it and maybe get one of the drivers from my wifes company to stop in there and pick it up.

All the beading is hard and brittle and has shrunk over the years .... looks a bit crappy.... :redface: :redface:
Regards
Cedric
Nissan Patrol GL 4.2 Diesel Turbo (Iron Maiden)
Nissan SANI 3.0 V6 4x4 (SOLD)
Isuzu KB 280 DT 2x4 ('ol Smokey) - SOLD
Suzuki TL 1000R "V twin" (Growler) - SOLD
SJC
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+
Full Name: SJC
Nickname: Fanus
Home Town: Nelspruit
Current 4x4: Patrol 4.2 SGL
Home Language: Afrikaans/English

Post by SJC »

Mine also needs to be replaced, especially the rear ones. Mine is color coded though (red)..
‘96 GQ 4.2 SGL
‘01 GU 4.5 GRX
‘08 GU TD42 BAKKIE
iandvl
Patrolman 1000+
Patrolman 1000+

Post by iandvl »

ricster wrote:Ian, that rubber beading, does it come with a part number? The beadings all around my car have been knackered for a long time and wanted to get for a long time too, but I believe they aren't open on Saturdays, and I'm pretty much office bound during the week. So if there is a part number, then I can maybe order it and maybe get one of the drivers from my wifes company to stop in there and pick it up.

All the beading is hard and brittle and has shrunk over the years .... looks a bit crappy.... :redface: :redface:
Cedric, I'll check the slip and see if it comes with a part number. I just selected beading which appeared as if it will work. If the part number is not specified, I'll give the folks a call and hear.
SJC wrote:Mine also needs to be replaced, especially the rear ones. Mine is color coded though (red)..
Mine are also colour-coded (gold-ish). I chatted with several pain shops / panel-beater suppliers yesterday. Apparently, one battles to get colour-coded beading anywhere other than the suppliers. I'm not interested in being ripped a new one by the dealerships, so I bought black beading and I'm going to see how it turns out.

I stuck a length of the stuff under one of my "loose" panels last night. I actually think it will come out nicely...

So I'm going to go ahead with it and see how it turns out.

I'll post pics when I do so, and others can make that call. However, I'll probably only have a chance to get around to replacing it on the weekend.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Return to “11. Chassis, Bodywork & Trim”